Festiniog Railway Welsh Pony - 3 D printed

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Festiniog Railway Welsh Pony - 3 D printed

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:39 am

Andrew wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 pm

You'd better get the lining pen out!

Andrew.
Yes I thought it was due an outing!

Trevor

PS thanks for the livery details. Need to order a Deep Maroon paint

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:07 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:39 am
Andrew wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:00 pm

You'd better get the lining pen out!

Andrew.
Yes I thought it was due an outing!

Trevor

PS thanks for the livery details. Need to order a Deep Maroon paint
I need to dig out mine too, probably to apply the same livery. I've bitten the bullet and ordered one of RH's new Small Englands - the cost is eye-watering enough without paying another £350 for lining, so it'll be a DIY job. I lined my Russell, but that was a while ago now and I'm sure I'm rusty, so I plan to practice on my Regner first!

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 pm

The locomotive is now painted. It is ready to line - but the paint needs a few days to harden before I try that.

Result so far:
IMG_1343.jpg
IMG_1343.jpg (305.23 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg (296.18 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
I have resin printed the name plates, makers plates and owners plates. They worked and you can just read the print. I will show you when I have finished painting them - I made a bit of a mess on the first attempt. Not easy to paint accurately as Philip has already indicated!

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:46 pm

More progress. Driver and fireman resin printed:
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg (348.47 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
The shovel is separate, and its still in the printer. They might work with other tender engines - so I will put the stl files in the printer file section. And of course you can see the beginnings of the lining on the loco in the background. More work to do on that.

And the resin printed plates:
IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg (331.58 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
I am fairly happy with the oval plates. The black lettering was added with a lining pen using a 0.25mm nib. Fairly easy and accurate that way. I should have done the names the same way - start again with painting them I think.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:15 am

Coming on well Trevor. That lining looks pretty good.

Andrew and I found that painting the oval plates works best by painting ( or printing) the whole thing in the colour of the raised lettering/border, then once REALLY dry, flooding it with the recessed colour and quickly wiping the top to remove any overpaint. Brush painting even with a 00000 brush isn't really accurate enough.
file.jpeg
file.jpeg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 5437 times
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:16 am

Trevor, that looks freaking amazing, I hope you are very proud of yourself. :thumbup:

As far as name plates go, it looks like your plates are lifting at each end the same as mine do. I am going to thicken up the base to try and avoid this but I am not sure if it's getting them off the build plate that causes it or whether it's the curing process under a UV lamp, I might try an outside natural dry to see if it's that. Let me know if you manage to overcome this.

EDIT: Another question, how high and how wide are your rivets as they look perfect, mine never come out as they look in CAD, lol.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:54 am

Excellent work all round. Can't wait to see it in action

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:59 pm

Nice lining!

Incidentally, (unless you get it right first time, of course!) what do you use to remove any mistakes while lining a plastic model? I use lighter fluid on metal locos, but want to line a tender I've made from plastic at some point and wonder how it would hold up?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:58 pm

-steves- wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:16 am Trevor, that looks freaking amazing, I hope you are very proud of yourself. :thumbup:

As far as name plates go, it looks like your plates are lifting at each end the same as mine do. I am going to thicken up the base to try and avoid this but I am not sure if it's getting them off the build plate that causes it or whether it's the curing process under a UV lamp, I might try an outside natural dry to see if it's that. Let me know if you manage to overcome this.

EDIT: Another question, how high and how wide are your rivets as they look perfect, mine never come out as they look in CAD, lol.
Thanks for the complement!

I am quite pleased with it.

The rivets are 1mm diameter and 1mm high. Just rods - not actually rivet shaped. I don't think its obvious when they are printed - and even less so when painted.

The name plates were flat when I took them off the build plate - but warped under UV. I was planning to just glue them into place and expect the glue to hold them flat.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:01 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:59 pm Nice lining!

Incidentally, (unless you get it right first time, of course!) what do you use to remove any mistakes while lining a plastic model? I use lighter fluid on metal locos, but want to line a tender I've made from plastic at some point and wonder how it would hold up?

Thanks,

Andrew.
I do the same. I have been using lighter fuel on the plastic models as well. The underlying paint is Valejo acrylic airbrush paint and doesn't seem to be affected by the lighter fuel - which evaporates almost instantly.

Oh and I do make plenty of mistakes!

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:03 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:58 pm

The name plates were flat when I took them off the build plate - but warped under UV. I was planning to just glue them into place and expect the glue to hold them flat.

I think I'd try to print them on supports with a plate on the build plate, and then trim the supports after curing. Doing it like that should hold it flat.
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:17 pm

Yes I printed them with supports and a raft - but took them off the supports before exposing to UV. Will be interested to see it curing with supports in place has any effect

Trevor

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:30 pm

I think natural drying on sunlight (when we get it) might improve this vastly as I have had other things go a little funny under UV that didn't in the sun. UV lights also make the resin change colour, again, the sun generally doesn't have such an effect on the resin.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm

Just to finish off this thread here are some photographs of the finished locomotive:
IMG_1393.jpg
IMG_1393.jpg (348.59 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
IMG_1394.jpg
IMG_1394.jpg (330.78 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:14 am

You should be very proud of that. Well done indeed.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:28 am

What a beauty!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:51 am

Absolutely stunning.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:49 pm

I have been looking at Rick's videos - particularly with respect to sound cards.

Also after a season running this loco I became dissatisfied with the lack of detail - and the limitations of some of what I had done. So I have taken the opportunity presented by Christmas to get a sound card!

It would have been easier to incorporate the sound card and the speaker in particular when building it. The simple solution to fitting the speaker retrospectively seemed to be to make a new front panel for the water tank. I just hope it won't be too obvious! The other option the front of the tool box in the tender seemed more difficult to actually achieve. So I modified the drawing for the front of the water tank by adding a rectangular matrix of 1.5mm diameter holes. I created a backing box for the speaker at the same time, and printed both. This is the modified water tank:
IMG_2660.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 2844 times
The loco already had a bank of 8 AA rechargeable batteries - they were connected as 2 parallel banks. The sound card required more voltage so they were reconnected as one bank to double the voltage. The Micron radio receiver was able to cope with with the doubled voltage. It all fitted into the space under the water tank:
IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2658.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2844 times
It seemed to me important to get the "Chuffing sounds" correctly synchronised with the motion, and I was a bit concerned that Rick had commented on not being able to get it to work using a reed switch and magnets.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:03 pm

So to the magnets and reed switch.

Firstly I created a solid disc with 4 holes in its side, and printed it in two halves - so I could add it without dismantling anything. It is glued to the axle using "super glue" - and magnets are glued into the 4 holes. Not my favourite glue but the easy solution to the problem again:
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 2843 times
I admit I have had lots of problems with reed switches. I have made a printed container to hold the reed switch , with holes for the wires to protrude upwards into the loco. Wires were soldered to the switch - without bending the switches leads.The reed switches seem really delicate - this is my sixth attempt and involved minimising the forces applied to the switch and its leads:
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG (2.76 MiB) Viewed 2843 times
I cut the leads short and gently pulled the leads to lift the switch into its housing:
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG (2.25 MiB) Viewed 2843 times
It is now glued to the bottom of the chassis, close to but clear of the magnet disk:
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 2843 times
I have wired it to the sound card and the card programmed it to operate off the reed switch input.

So far that has survived the best part of a week of trials.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:08 pm

Looks like a masterly solution to a problem... so lets hear it then!
Philip