Using TinkerCAD to produce drawings for 3-D Printing

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Using TinkerCAD to produce drawings for 3-D Printing

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm

It came out so much better with supports.
A7622F06-5DBC-4393-9046-D2A58C22D2F5.png
A7622F06-5DBC-4393-9046-D2A58C22D2F5.png (793.51 KiB) Viewed 9140 times
24C989E4-F32D-48C0-B467-85FA2F478236.jpeg
24C989E4-F32D-48C0-B467-85FA2F478236.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 9140 times

It was much better now. Shows that sometimes you do need to have supports. Though I think I would print it as is seen fitted to a gate post, it would be a lot better I think.

Yes it differently won't load more than two photos. It isn't a problem mind....

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:22 pm

Not only can you import STL files into TinkerCad, but also SVG files.

SVG files are Scaleable Vector Graphic files, 2 dimensional drawings (but not bitmaps). There are various free tools available to produce drawings in this format the easiest I've found is a web based product - https://boxy-svg.com/

This is a much easier way to produce lettering, as there are far more fonts available, and also complex 2 dimensional shapes - currently I'm working on some wrought iron fencing. There's a bit of a learning curve, making sure everything is a path, but once saved and imported onto TinkerCad it is simply given a arbitrary depth.

Treat this as a teaser to inspire your own adventure of discovery. If I get a chance I'll try and produce a Rik-style walkthrough example (but don't hold your breath).

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:06 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 pm Yes it differently won't load more than two photos. It isn't a problem mind....
That's to try and encourage you to use the photo merge tool to put all four photos into one file, Rod ....
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13208

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:30 pm

Yes I did didn't I Rik. :scratch:

Don't confuse me mate, it's hard enough thinking about what I did 5 minutes ago... :lol :lol :lol :lol

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:45 pm

Well, for several reasons I've been thinking about moving away from Sketchup. I've had two goes at Fusion 360, yesterday and this morning, with no more success than I had a year or so ago, so I thought I'd try yet again with Tinkercad.

I have spent 2 hours this morning and another 3/4 hour just now, following your excellent Blog tutorial for the Southwold open. So far I have managed to produce the 5 planks and the backing sheet without too much trouble, but that's as far as I can get. I just can't get them to align properly either vertically nor horizontally. :dontknow:
How you and Steve can get to produce the amazing stuff that you do, I simply can't comprehend. I'm not asking for help and advice because if I can't do something this apparently simple then anything more complex is out of the question. I'm just expressing my admiration for you two! :lol:
Philip

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:11 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:45 pm Well, for several reasons I've been thinking about moving away from Sketchup. I've had two goes at Fusion 360, yesterday and this morning, with no more success than I had a year or so ago, so I thought I'd try yet again with Tinkercad.

I have spent 2 hours this morning and another 3/4 hour just now, following your excellent Blog tutorial for the Southwold open. So far I have managed to produce the 5 planks and the backing sheet without too much trouble, but that's as far as I can get. I just can't get them to align properly either vertically nor horizontally. :dontknow:
How you and Steve can get to produce the amazing stuff that you do, I simply can't comprehend. I'm not asking for help and advice because if I can't do something this apparently simple then anything more complex is out of the question. I'm just expressing my admiration for you two! :lol:
I will echo the comments above.
I am still struggling with making a simple brick wall in Tinkercad while following this tutorial, lets just say my efforts are not pretty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTiNQbUEOkI
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:23 am

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:45 pm Well, for several reasons I've been thinking about moving away from Sketchup. I've had two goes at Fusion 360, yesterday and this morning, with no more success than I had a year or so ago, so I thought I'd try yet again with Tinkercad.

I use the align tool
Shot18 - align.jpg
Shot18 - align.jpg (139.4 KiB) Viewed 4962 times
Rik
------------------------

Paul_in_Ricky
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_in_Ricky » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:20 am

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:45 pmI've had two goes at Fusion 360, yesterday and this morning, with no more success than I had a year or so ago,
Fusion 360 is the gold standard for 3D CAD packages for home use, but it's a bit naΓ―ve to think that a program so incredibly powerful can be learnt in a couple of short sessions or just playing with it. You need to invest lots of time watching and going through tutorials.

I found one of the more helpful series is from Product Design online, particularly the
Learn Autodesk Fusion 360 in 30 Days for Complete Beginners series starting at;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3qGQ2utl2A&t=9s

Lars Christensen does some good introductions too;
https://www.youtube.com/@cadcamstuff

Autodesk's own series are probably a bit too long winded and aimed at a different audience to us hobbyists.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:00 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:23 am

I use the align tool
Yep, I know..... :mrgreen:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:56 am

Looking at this thread again, it seems we have gone of track somewhat here and I am the first to admit I asked Rik a question before he had time to add anymore about "Using Tinkercad to produce drawing for 3-D Printing"

So can I ask Rik would you please kindly add some instructions for those like me who find it a little bit hard to quite get to grips with programs about 3-D printing. You would think that after using CNC machines in engineering that it would be fairly easy for me, not it the slightest, CNC programming is about X-Y-Z and completely not the same as programs for 3-D printing. I find Sketchup and the like far too complicated, but even though I have produced things with Tinkercad, I am still far more from being good at it never mind brilliant like Rik and the other members who use Tinkercad to produce some excellent 3-D builds. My other problem is also my printer only has a 150x150 bed, so to produce something that is more to scale, I need to cut them or make more parts to be glued together.

Sorry if it sounds like I am moaning, it's not really. I am just one of those who needs things to be explained more that's all..... :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:58 am

Hi Rod
I could put together a set of basic tutorials, but Trevor's post has reminded me that there are already dozens of tutorials on YouTube which are probably a lot more professional than I could produce. I remember dipping into this chap's tutorials when I was getting started. I'd say they are a good place to start and then, once you start producing a drawing, if you run into a problem, ask on here for suggestions as to how to overcome it. As with most things, in Tinkercad, there's more than one way of doing something and what makes sense for one person doesn't always make sense to someone else.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:33 pm

This thread got sidetracked into a discussion about Fusion 360 and how it compares with TinkerCAD.
I've now moved that discussion to a new thread called - TinkerCad v Fusion - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14765

No posts have been deleted or altered. The whole discussion has simply been moved,

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:33 am

Thanks Rik,

Just had a quick look...Whats wrong with his voice though, it sounds like he has a peg on his nose.. :lol :lol

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:50 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:33 am Thanks Rik,

Just had a quick look...Whats wrong with his voice though, it sounds like he has a peg on his nose.. :lol :lol
Maybe all 3D printing professionals talk like that...... :shock: :lol:

Rik
------------------------

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:11 am

Perhaps he is talking through his PPE?
:study:

Phil.P