MonoPrice Delta and no PC or Laptop.

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

MonoPrice Delta and no PC or Laptop.

Post by BorisSpencer » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:05 pm

Well I've finally joined the club!
My son and daughter bought me a MonoPrice Delta for Christmas. Although this is quite an unusual machine with a couple of limitations it seems to me to be an interesting introduction to this burgeoning extension to our hobby.
Positives:
Comes fully assembled and ready to go.
Very small footprint (10" x 13" x 17" high) including the filament spool hanging on the back.
Appears robust and stable with its all metal construction.
Has a carry handle on the top so along with its size it makes it very portable.
Negatives:
Small build area (4" cylinder).
Quite noisy.
Apparently its bed won't get hot enough to print ABS, but is good for PLA and TPU. Currently I have only used PLA.

As per the title I only use a Chromebook for personal work, and have been using Tinkercad online to design a few pieces (Riks blog has a perfect introduction to this impressively simple and intuitive software).

I have also found the AstroPrint website, which includes a free online slicer which has worked perfectly so far.

My first print was Steve's milk churn which came out with a bit of stringing on the handles, but this cleaned up very easily.

All in all I'm very pleased, and must thank all the contributors to the 3D printing threads for your inspiration.

philipy

Re: MonoPrice Delta and no PC or Laptop.

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Welcome to the club!

A bit of stringing is fairly universal so don't worry about that.

I'm now going to open a book on how long it takes before you find a 4" cylinder so limiting and frustrating that you are on the lookout for a 2nd machine! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:52 pm

Nothing wrong with a 4" area to print :) I have a Monoprint which prints 12cm x 12cm square and it does all the smaller stuff that just tie up the bigger printer, so grills, lights, doors, wheels, panels for smaller loco's, small track, smaller wagon parts, line side items etc etc. Then get the ender 5 out when I need a chassis for a larger wagon or loco. To be fair, my little Monoprint does cracking job with way less stringing than my Ender 5 Pro. :thumbleft:

Glad you managed to find a suitable online slicer, that's great :thumbup:

P.S. the handles on the milk churn often get stringy, so don't worry about that ;)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:19 pm

Oh I wasn't suggesting there is anything wrong with a 4" bed, rather the opposite, that it will get him hooked and then he'll want a bigger one! :D
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:07 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:19 pm Oh I wasn't suggesting there is anything wrong with a 4" bed, rather the opposite, that it will get him hooked and then he'll want a bigger one! :D
I was just being cheeky, lol. But you are of course right, he will want a bigger one soon enough :lol: :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:15 pm

I should add that at the same time they bought my Delta, my son also bought a second hand Ender 4, which he's still trying to get to grips with.
Once he's perfected its use, it means I will have access to a larger printer only half an hour away (I've already put in an order for some LocoRemote track :D ).

The beauty of the Delta is that I was printing within 20 minutes of opening the box.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:38 am

Has a newbie myself Boris, it's going to take over belief me. Welcome and enjoy what is another fascinating part to add to our hobby.

The worlds your oyster has they say.... :lol: :lol: