Adventures with a Flashforge

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Adventures with a Flashforge

Post by SimonWood » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:43 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:46 pm However I've just looked at my remixed open topped barrel and the slicer gives projected times of 3hr 27mins at 0.1 and 1hr 58mins at 0.18. Its usually pretty accurate so I'd guess those are pretty good, give or take a few mins. That's using PLA and with a 5mm wide brim.
Doing it at your 0.08 ( which I've never tried in reality) it projects 4hr 17mins.
Interesting - the time factor for your printer increasing the resolution is more efficient than mine... but it's of a similar order.

I didn't print your open barrel in PLA (I used ABS) but I've just loaded it into my slider to see what it says for PLA. What's strange is the timings from Flashprint are of a significantly different magnitude... 1 hr 15mins at at 0.08mm or 0hr 27mins at 0.18mm. That's with Flashprint's standard raft. I've just been using the speed settings it gives me... but maybe I should be slowing it down? Would I see a significant improvement in quality?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:43 am

SimonWood wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:43 pm I've just been using the speed settings it gives me... but maybe I should be slowing it down? Would I see a significant improvement in quality?
I'm not sure what the Qidi standard settings are now, I've played around with them over the years. The Qidi slicer is a customised version of Cura and what I have currently is:

Retraction distance 1.5mm
Retraction speed 30mm/s
Layer height 0.08
Line width 0.4mm
Wall line count 2
Top Surface skin layers 5
Top Layers 5
Bottom layers 4
Fill gaps between walls Yes
Print thin walls Yes
Infill density 100% ( NOTE dropping this to 20% makes no difference to the print time for the open barrel because the walls are so thin anyway)
Infill pattern Concentric
Z-Seam Random
Enable ironing On ( but this will have no real effect with such a thin top section as the open barrel)
Adhesion type Brim ( I don't normally use any brim/raft/skirt apart from very small components, but on this the bottom barrel hoop pulled off without one)
Brim width 5mm
Print speed 50mm/s ( Print speed and Min layer time are important with very small items, because if the speed is such that the head comes back again before the previous layer has set, it goes horribly wrong!)
Travel speed 80mm/s
Min layer time 30 sec
Print temp 200 deg ( PLA)
Build plate temp 50 deg ( PLA)
Build plate initial layer temp 60 deg( PLA)
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:06 am

SimonWood wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:15 pm
"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."
I finally got around to painting Sir John...

Still finding eyes very difficult to do.

On the footplate and just waiting for some Daleks...

Have to get on and print a TARDIS now...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:02 am

I like the look of Sir John very much!

For what it's worth, my own method of painting eyes on figures evolved some years ago, based on the style adopted by some action figure manufacturers, and advice from my secondary school art teacher (otherwise quite mad). I avoid painting the whites altogether ( on the grounds that from most scale distances you're too far away to "see the whites of their eyes") and only add the pupil, plus a line to represent the upper brow/lashes:
IMG_20210306_104751396.jpg
IMG_20210306_104751396.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3316 times
I'm typing on my phone, can't find a picture of one of my figures to add (the above was literally sketched on the back of an envelope), but it works for me - well I think so anyway!

All the best,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:35 am

PS Just had another look at Sir John and seen those wonderful bushy eyebrows - in his case I guess the line I suggest above the pupil would definitely represent the eyelashes, not the brow. I don't think I've ever thought about it that much, it just seems to work for me... Here's my ex Captain Haddock guard - not one of my better examples, but it shows the technique...

Sharples 3.jpg
Sharples 3.jpg (156.56 KiB) Viewed 3312 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:03 pm

Works well on Capt Haddock, I must remember that technique.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:27 pm

Andrew wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:02 am For what it's worth, my own method of painting eyes on figures evolved some years ago, based on the style adopted by some action figure manufacturers, and advice from my secondary school art teacher (otherwise quite mad). I avoid painting the whites altogether ( on the grounds that from most scale distances you're too far away to "see the whites of their eyes") and only add the pupil, plus a line to represent the upper brow/lashes:
That's a great tip Andrew, thanks. I can see how even if it's just the upper lashes it gives the shape of the eye, which is the key problem (essentially the whites are too round, and too large relative to the iris). I will give that a go on Sir John.

Captain Haddock looks great by the way, and I really like your finish on that PS Brake Van. The details you've added really bring it to life while preserving its appealing simplicity. I have one currently in the works myself, if I can make it look half as good I'll be well pleased.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:39 am

By the way Andrew, Phillip, Rik, Steve.

I had an email notification from this member (Annabel_Voxelab) but when I clicked on the link, it didn't go to that members post. Any reason for that please. I am a little bit concerned that it may be a scammer, I sincerely hope not, because those emails can be very dangerous for everybody.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:01 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:39 am By the way Andrew, Phillip, Rik, Steve.

I had an email notification from this member (Annabel_Voxelab) but when I clicked on the link, it didn't go to that members post. Any reason for that please. I am a little bit concerned that it may be a scammer, I sincerely hope not, because those emails can be very dangerous for everybody.
PM Sent
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/