3D double diesel

A place where discussions are about 3D printing.
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

3D double diesel

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:52 pm

The latest project ..... a 3D printed diesel loco (x2)
IMG_0696.JPG
IMG_0696.JPG (116.34 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG (131.7 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG (119.02 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
I thought I would try something a bit more ambitious with the printer. The model was downloaded for free from Thingiverse and then the parts printed out an assembled. I wasn't entirely happy with the first print (I discovered the X and Y axes weren't perpendicular), so I printed out a second one. I then decided the slightly wonky first one was OK and so will run them back to back (as per Australian sugar cane railways) - one powered and the other a trailer (for now).

So far each loco has cost around £3.00 in plastic, wheels - £9.00 (IP Engineering), brass bearings - £1.20 (G-Bits) and then the motor and gears for the powered loco - £12.00 (IP Engineering) plus 2 x li-ion AA - £8.00 (Ecolux) and a Deltang receiver/controller - £40 (RC Trains)

Total = £86.40

Many thanks to Ivan at IP Engineering. While fitting the gears, the insulating bush in one of the wheels shot off across the room and disappeared into that void where all small screws and washers end up. I contacted Ivan for a replacement and four bushes with wheels arrived FOC. Excellent service!!

Rik
Last edited by ge_rik on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: 3D double diesel

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm

They look really good together Rik and the printing looks tidy too. When I first read the title of your thread I expected to see the two conjoined, Fairlie style!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm

Who's got the bug then??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done though, I've looked at that on Thingiverse several times, including literally 2 or 3 nights ago.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm Who's got the bug then??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done though, I've looked at that on Thingiverse several times, including literally 2 or 3 nights ago.
You'll notice that there are slight differences between the two locos. One is the original and the other uses additional / replacement parts which a fellow modeller added. That's one of the things I really like about 3d printers: the willingness to share ideas and resources. Just like Garden Railway modellers!

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 pm
philipy wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm Who's got the bug then??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll notice that there are slight differences between the two locos. One is the original and the other uses additional / replacement parts which a fellow modeller added. That's one of the things I really like about 3d printers: the willingness to share ideas and resources. Just like Garden Railway modellers!

Rik
Rik,
Do not worry about the differences between the locos if you are following Australian Sugar Cane railway practices then that is perfectly normal.
On those railways the only time most of their locos were the same was when they were delivered from the manufacturer, after that the fitters changed/modified them to suit.

A classic example was Mulgrave Mill, in the town where my Dad used to live, lowered the height of some of their locos so they could get under a Queensland Railways bridge. This from Zelmeroz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q903iH9pJSg
The sequence begins (at 16:25) with the duck under at Redlynch, with a QR Kuranda Scenic train and then empty bins heading for the Barron River delta, and a return chase around the west side of Cairns all the way back to the mill. Of note are the locos with cut down cabs (Hambledon and Redlynch) that were modified specifically for this service.
Last edited by GAP on Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:39 pm

That’s really neat. 3D print has to be the way to go, I guess. Hmmm...

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:38 pm

Great work Rik, you've certainly grabbed this 3D printing with both hands.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:08 am

BertieB wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:39 pm That’s really neat. 3D print has to be the way to go, I guess. Hmmm...
Not necessarily. There's a steep learning curve with getting the printer to behave and, unless you are skilled with 3d CAD programs, you are limited to the range of models which are available online. I'm in the process of drawing and printing out a simple box car / van for my railcar. I've managed to draw and print the sides but the ends are giving me all kinds of problems. The drawing looks ok on screen but when I try converting it to a 3d print all sort of weird things keep happening. Apparently, 3d drawings are susceptible to invisible issues (eg "reversed normals", "non manifolds") which mean they are impossible to print. I've discovered a couple of online tools which analyse and repair drawings so I am currently exploring those.

When / if I get somewhere I'll post what I've learned on here..... 😳

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:12 am

LNR wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:38 pm Great work Rik, you've certainly grabbed this 3D printing with both hands.
Grant.
It's a love / hate relationship. As with most things, I do like exploring the new and pushing the boundaries of my knowledge. Unfortunately, I'm all too often skittering about on very thin ice ......

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:17 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm When I first read the title of your thread I expected to see the two conjoined, Fairlie style!
Now, there's a possibility! Just a case of printing out the relevant bits, though I'd have to design a couple of powered bogies ...... Hmmmm.... (sound of cogs whirring and gears crunching)

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:25 am

GAP wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 pm Rik,
Do not worry about the differences between the locos if you are following Australian Sugar Cane railway practices then that is perfectly normal.
On those railways the only time most of their locos were the same was when they were delivered from the manufacturer, after that the fitters changed/modified them to suit.

A classic example was Mulgrave Mill, in the town where my Dad used to live, lowered the height of some of their locos so they could get under a Queensland Railways bridge. This from Zelmeroz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q903iH9pJSg
The sequence begins (at 16:25) with the duck under at Redlynch, with a QR Kuranda Scenic train and then empty bins heading for the Barron River delta, and a return chase around the west side of Cairns all the way back to the mill. Of note are the locos with cut down cabs (Hambledon and Redlynch) that were modified specifically for this service.
Thanks Graeme
You do realise that it's your fault for seeding the idea of the b2b diesels. 😳😏

Thanks for the video (and the photos sent previously).

I don't think my diesels will end up looking as smart as yours. The wonky one will be especially heavily weathered to distract attention from its wonkiness. 🤭

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:36 am

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 pm ........the printing looks tidy too.
There's a fair amount of filling and sanding to reach this stage. I've found a couple of coats of filler primer sanded down are needed before the normal two coats of ordinary primer, plus a fair bit of targeted filling and smoothing in between. I'm not sure how the finish from my cheapo printer compares with more expensive ones, so I might need to exert a bit more effort to get a decent finish.

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:08 am The drawing looks ok on screen but when I try converting it to a 3d print all sort of weird things keep happening. Apparently, 3d drawings are susceptible to invisible issues (eg "reversed normals", "non manifolds") which mean they are impossible to print. I've discovered a couple of online tools which analyse and repair drawings so I am currently exploring those.
Which drawing software are you using, Rik?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:40 am

philipy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 am Which drawing software are you using, Rik?
Sketchup - I've downloaded FreeCAD but it doesn't look as intuitive so, for now, I'll stick with Sketchup and try using repair tools (ie the Cleanup extension and this website - https://3d-print.jomatik.de/en/index.php )

Rik
PS - I'm impressed with the website - it seems to pick up issues which the Cleanup extension misses
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:04 pm

I didn't much care for Freecad either. For Sketchup repairs/identifying errors I use Solid Inspector2 from their extension library. It isn't perfect and sometimes tells you there are errors without obviously showing where, but that's usually because it's tiny and needs mega zooming in.
If a face is showing in a darkish shade, that probably indicates a reversed face. Right-click on the face and the drop down menu has a "Reverse faces" item which often solves it.
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:04 pm I didn't much care for Freecad either. For Sketchup repairs/identifying errors I use Solid Inspector2 from their extension library. It isn't perfect and sometimes tells you there are errors without obviously showing where, but that's usually because it's tiny and needs mega zooming in.
If a face is showing in a darkish shade, that probably indicates a reversed face. Right-click on the face and the drop down menu has a "Reverse faces" item which often solves it.
That's handy info, thanks.

Rik
------------------------

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 pm

Thanks Graeme
You do realise that it's your fault for seeding the idea of the b2b diesels. 😳😏

Thanks for the video (and the photos sent previously).

I don't think my diesels will end up looking as smart as yours. The wonky one will be especially heavily weathered to distract attention from its wonkiness. 🤭

Rik

That's OK Rik I have heaps of ideas that I can suggest any time you want something to make.

Here is an idea of a crossing with a difference starting at 8:31
https://youtu.be/a5wYy_wPXxs
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:38 am

Thanks Graeme
Interesting! Those are seriously long trains. No wonder they need double diesels. Not sure Peckforton is quite ready for a sugar plantation just yet, though 😏

Rik
------------------------

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 am

Great looking brace of locos Rik.
I still reckon they should be nose-to-nose not cab-to-cab. I guess that in Queensland they would get better cooling airflow with one loco's radiator at the front. But heat shouldn't be a problem on the PLR surely. :?
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:58 am

gregh wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:46 am Great looking brace of locos Rik.
I still reckon they should be nose-to-nose not cab-to-cab. I guess that in Queensland they would get better cooling airflow with one loco's radiator at the front. But heat shouldn't be a problem on the PLR surely. :?
I'll give it a try to see what it looks like

Rik
------------------------