As you can see the end sections of the floor are raised to make room for the bogies. My first attempt at the bogie frames:
I am going to try to make the axles sprung - like in full size practice, rather than compensating the bogies themselves, as I have done in the past. You can see that I have made cut outs for the axle boxes to slide up and down in. The square bits sticking out are for the springs to work against. I have printed a set of axle boxes with springs incorporated on the resin printer. I have prepared the same .stl file for the filament printer. I will see which method works best. It might even end up with metal springs. I wonder if it will work?
Just as an aside for anyone with the same type of printer, I am on my third flexible build plate. I find that using ABS I need strong adhesion to the build plate and that means that the sticky backed surface film doesn't last very long. So rather than buying another plate I have tried without the film. I have cleaned all the old adhesive off (lots of acetone and elbow grease), and sanded the bare plastic surface. I have prepared that surface using acetone and some desolved abs. Spread thinly and evenly with a bit of rag. Lots of ventilation and gloves of course.
I am printing on this without a raft. It is working well. In fact the print is sticking well while hot, and when the print has cooled it often just falls off. I am refreshing the surface every couple of prints.
It all went together OK!
So its the bulkheads to do next - and the ends need modifying to fit properly. There is a recess at each side to engage with the side panels and I didn't get the width of the recess right.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests