Photo Gallery Format Discussion

The quarterly gallery of entries and voted best pictures
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Garden Railway Gallery, Winners Thread

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:17 am

Although I don't post any photos, I have I think once. I do like to see members photos, but don't we already see them when they post in the Gallery or a thread. You are quite right Phillip in what you say about an handful post photos and now it's got to a point were members are staging photos, it doesn't seem right to me. Although they are pretty good, well brilliant really, it's not something that I agree with but still it is appreciated by that I mean, members are showing what imaginable things we have in our heads... :thumbright:

There are 9 votes to carry on as is, I am betting they are the 9 out of the dozen or so regulars who post photos in the thread..It is getting to be more of a clique of members out of the 1300+ members. Are polls worth it I ask myself, I recently tried a poll for rechargeable battery packs, but didn't get any votes at all, though yourself and Andrew I think it was were the only members to reply and I was really grateful to you for your help. The poll was a let down for me, but they do serve a purpose and hopefully we will get the correct outcome for all to enjoy.

Carry being a brilliant moderator Phillip, you do an excellent job my friend. :thumbright:

philipy

Photo Gallery Format Discussion

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Firstly, I've now locked the voting thread to avoid anything else being added to it. All comments should now be on this new discussions thread, please.

Secondly, thanks to everyone who voted in the Poll.

The results are overwhelmingly in favour of continuing, even if only a relatively small percentage of the total membership took part. The results suggest a fairly even split between carrying on as we are (17 votes) and carry on with changes (18 votes).

So now is the chance for those 18 ( and everyone else, of course) to say what changes they propose :D . Again, to be fair, we'll give it 2 weeks for suggestions, so have your ideas in by 31st July please.

If you have already made suggestions on the poll thread, please make them again here, to keep everything together.

Please keep suggestions as clear cut as possible without any long rambling reasoning. :lol:
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Photo Gallery Format Discussion

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi Philip,
I think the idea of making the thread for the gallery more accessible is one worth trying (as previously proposed by Ricky (Musket). I appreciate that the Quick Links could be used but only if you know about the use of them, and the gallery.
Non members can already view the posts in the Quarterly Garden Gallery thread, but to vote or post an entry, they need to be a member and signed in, so that would hopefully limit problems with random viewers?
I think it's an idea worth trying, even if only for one quarter.
And finally - have I missed the suggestion for the next quarter, or has it been delayed whilst this discussion takes place?
Keep up the good work moderators :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:38 pm have I missed the suggestion for the next quarter, or has it been delayed whilst this discussion takes place?
Yes it was delayed because of this debate. I have the proposed theme and I'm currently debating ( with myself!) about whether to publish it or wait a little while longer.
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:31 am

Philip

We could do the quarterly picture thread as an announcement if that helps matters?

Not worried about non members as they can't vote, so all is good there :thumbup:

I know the theme is picked by the last winner, but to make things easier for people to enter, how about they pick 2 or 3 and then do a poll on them for 2 weeks? This would mean that people who can't enter have a chance at getting a theme where they can enter, should they wish to do so?

Just dropping bombs in the water to see what happens :lol:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:12 am

With a total of 35 people voting to continue, either with or without changes, and having the matter brought to the attention of more members than before, there should now be enough interest to make the non-competition worthwhile.
Is it my memory loss or do I recall something being added to our avatar during the first photo competition saying.... 'Winner of....'? Could that be revived?
I always watch and often enter just for fun and to interpret the theme in my own peculiar way. Everyone has something to offer and share amongst the great variety of railways and rolling stock featured on the Forum.
I fear the idea of voting from three choice to select the final theme is likely to have the opposite effect by putting off those whose preferred choice is rejected.
An announcement or any other form of making it known to members would be an advantage to remind them to enter.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:19 pm

I must admit I'm with Peter on getting the winner to choose three possible themes. I struggle to think up one..... :? :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:27 pm

On another issue, although I suggested it, I'm not actually in favour of barring people like the Admin Team from entering. Although one of the admin team's photos did receive the most votes in the last Gallery, a photo from another member of the admin team received no votes, which would suggest that being a member of the admin team doesn't seem to necessarily be an advantage.

However, I can assure everyone that if any member of the admin team does enter a winning photo in the future, he (or she) will definitely decline from accepting the munificent cash prize ....... ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:44 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:27 pm On another issue, although I suggested it, I'm not actually in favour of barring people like the Admin Team from entering. Although one of the admin team's photos did receive the most votes in the last Gallery, a photo from another member of the admin team received no votes, which would suggest that being a member of the admin team doesn't seem to necessarily be an advantage.

However, I can assure everyone that if any member of the admin team does enter a winning photo in the future, he (or she) will definitely decline from accepting the munificent cash prize ....... ;)

Rik
Rik, I am in favour of all members being able to enter, ideally anonymously, if that were possible, and names of the winner (and maybe second place) being named. This could prevent embarrassment for anybody not getting many (or any) votes, and may just may entice a few extra entries.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:13 pm

Jimmyb wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:44 pm
ge_rik wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:27 pm On another issue, although I suggested it, I'm not actually in favour of barring people like the Admin Team from entering. Although one of the admin team's photos did receive the most votes in the last Gallery, a photo from another member of the admin team received no votes, which would suggest that being a member of the admin team doesn't seem to necessarily be an advantage.

Rik
Rik, I am in favour of all members being able to enter, ideally anonymously, if that were possible, and names of the winner (and maybe second place) being named. This could prevent embarrassment for anybody not getting many (or any) votes, and may just may entice a few extra entries.
I have said elsewhere that I am against anyone being barred from entering as it is usually fairly easy to recognise individual's work so would be pointless. Voters remain anonymous so no-one knows who voted for whom. Also, the current voting system shows votes as they are accumulated for all to see (but only after casting your own vote) so unless that is removed until the end, or not displayed at all, I see nothing to gain from it.
There should be no embarrassment caused, it might encourage members to try again when they see a theme more favourable?
The cash prize should be increased to double figures..... Β£00.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:13 pm There should be no embarrassment caused, it might encourage members to try again when they see a theme more favourable?
I agree there SHOULD be NO embarrassment, but you cannot account for individuals, and some people may feel embarrassed if they don't get any votes.

I come from the generation that the only state benefit, was child benefit, and to be bullied you had to show the bruises "stick and stone may break my bone etc." but as I have had to learn through management training people of today are very much different, and MUST be treated as such, so if there is a risk of embarrassment, then we must make allowances for it.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:32 pm

As the entrant who I suspect might hold the record for the greatest number of β€˜no votes’ I can say with absolute authority that I was only mildly embarrassed.

(But I get your point)

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:49 pm

Jimmyb wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 pm
Peter Butler wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:13 pm There should be no embarrassment caused, it might encourage members to try again when they see a theme more favourable?
I agree there SHOULD be NO embarrassment, but you cannot account for individuals, and some people may feel embarrassed if they don't get any votes.

I come from the generation that the only state benefit, was child benefit, and to be bullied you had to show the bruises "stick and stone may break my bone etc." but as I have had to learn through management training people of today are very much different, and MUST be treated as such, so if there is a risk of embarrassment, then we must make allowances for it.
Clearly you and I are a generation apart and as such are never likely to agree. I am pleased to say the final decision will rest with the moderators.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:52 pm

Just to put one point to bed before it gets to be a bone of contention, there is no pratical way i.e. within the Bulletin Board pHp Code, of anyone being anonymous when submitting an entry.

As I said before the only way would be for members to send me their pictures and for me to then post them to the Board. a horrible cumbersome rigmarole, which I'm not keen to take on and, as has been said, would probably be pointless since all know what Peter, Rik, et al lines look like, especially once the Inspector has been round!
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:03 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:12 am
Is it my memory loss or do I recall something being added to our avatar during the first photo competition saying.... 'Winner of....'? Could that be revived?
By "first photo competition" I assume you are referring to the original competition rather than the current "Gallery". Yes you're correct, winners had " Winner of the {XXXX quarter 20xx photo competition} added just below their user name.
I did suggestwe should do the same for the Gallery but it never happened. I'm not sure why, because it is much less strain on the coffers than the Supermega prize that has been suggested! :lol: :lol:
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:04 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:19 pm I must admit I'm with Peter on getting the winner to choose three possible themes. I struggle to think up one..... :?
Me too. The only thing I can think of to possibly help, is for anyone/everyone to PM me with theme suggestions at any time ( whenever they have a bright idea) and I'll put them in a computerised hat and pull one out at random each quarter. That way evryone gets a chance of setting the theme irrespective of particular interests or photographic ability.

The danger is of course that if there is a proposal for pictures based around somthing like " Outer Mongolian Yak powered railways" we may only get a single entry that quarter!

It also requires that everyone trusts me to be honest and unbiased in announcing the theme, and an understnding that, if a couple of dozen themes are suggested than it will take 6 years to work through all of them at the rate of one a quarter, and won't mean that I'm simply sitting on ones I don't personally like.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:27 am

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:04 am It also requires that everyone trusts me to be honest and unbiased in announcing the theme, and an understnding that,
Philipy, as with a lot of things in life, trust is something we accept, and if we cannot trust our "Admin Team" then who could we trust :)

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:36 am

Jimmyb wrote: ↑Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:27 am ...trust is something we accept, and if we cannot trust our "Admin Team" then who could we trust :)
Thank you Jimmy, I appreciate that. I only said it because if my idea is taken up, and it may not be, then I don't want any flaming in the future. :roll:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:10 pm

It's getting to a point were it's now going in the wrong direction I feel. It's supposed to be more accessible to all members, so yes that does include Admin and no it doesn't need 3 themes suggested and a poll. it would be hard enough for Phillip to sort out now with all the inputs however welcome.

Yes most members know who's line the photo's come from because most people follow their lines and I have since joining the forum got through a fair few of them, but even I, as I suspect most members and Admin have forgotten a lot of photos of members lines, so for me it needs to have names on them, whether we get embarrassed or not. I did come from the generation of being bullied, at one time I was, I stood up to them and they soon went away. Notice there wasn't any capitals, I don't like shouting and that is what capitals are in the main. Sometimes they are needed by Admin to make a point though. I digress :imsorry

Even though I don't feel I have any photos that are worthy of showing I will in future start to use the Photo Gallery or Competition, what ever it is being called more and hopefully we can get an even better Forum than it is now. Most members know that I think our Forum is the best on the Interweb anyway. :salute:

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:23 pm

The observant amongst you may have noticed that The Gallery has been promoted! We are now a self contained and hopefully more obvious part of the General section.
Thats one suggestion for improvement acted upon already! :D
Philip