Photo Gallery Format Discussion

The quarterly gallery of entries and voted best pictures
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Photo Gallery Format Discussion

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:13 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 pm If we really believe there will be people submitting entries, and subsequently voting tactically, in order to boost their chances of winning a quarterly competition for which there is no reward or prize then I wish them all the best.

This thread seems to overestimated its own importance by a factor of "considerably".
Yes, but it beats by a mile discussing far less important things like Covid, Brexit, Global warming, the Middle East, gun control, world peace, what G Scale actually means, the best way to ballast track, are 3D printers killing off scratch building etc.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:53 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:13 pm
BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 pm If we really believe there will be people submitting entries, and subsequently voting tactically, in order to boost their chances of winning a quarterly competition for which there is no reward or prize then I wish them all the best.

This thread seems to overestimated its own importance by a factor of "considerably".
Yes, but it beats by a mile discussing far less important things like Covid, Brexit, Global warming, the Middle East, gun control, world peace, what G Scale actually means, the best way to ballast track, are 3D printers killing off scratch building etc.

Rik
Agreed, but, does it beat discussing which are the best brews to drink! (for brew this could mean ale/porter/stout/cider, or tea ;))

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:35 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:13 pm

Agreed, but, does it beat discussing which are the best brews to drink! (for brew this could mean ale/porter/stout/cider, or tea ;))
YEP, I think it does. The only thing in that list that I drink is coffee....oops, sorry not on the list so I can't discuss it!

However, none of the last few posts on this thread get us anywhere along improving the Gallery, which is what it is supposed to be about. :D
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:53 am

Please just keep it the same. All this going on about 2 or 3 photos is getting boring. I have said more photos for Phillip to handle and the members to look at just makes the Gallery more like a 'competition' than just something that should be fun.
BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:44 pm
I also agree with BorisSpencer, it is getting to be considerably overestimating its importance. How much longer are you going to be discussing it. I thought Phillip said a couple more weeks after the poll closed. Is it going to be a couple of dozen now.... :scratch:

Your'e not right about Covid either Rik. It's the most important thing going on in the world and this country right now. How many thousands of people have died because of it. :(

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:13 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:53 am How much longer are you going to be discussing it. I thought Phillip said a couple more weeks after the poll closed. Is it going to be a couple of dozen now.... :scratch:
No, PHILIP said, "So now is the chance for those 18 ( and everyone else, of course) to say what changes they propose :D . Again, to be fair, we'll give it 2 weeks for suggestions, so have your ideas in by 31st July please."

Today is the 30th, the discussion closes tomorrow. If you find it boring simply don't read it.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 am

No need to be like that Phillip. I am not the only one who thinks it's getting that way. Sorry about the confusion on the end time. I thought it was 2 weeks..............

Like I have said, you are doing an excellent job and with the rest of the work you do on the forum, you don't need more work. I just want to carry on like it was and seeing has there was just one vote difference, personally I feel it should stay as is...........Or am I wrong again there..................

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:48 pm

Well,
You don't have internet access for a few days, and look what happens? I'm in favour of trialling 2 entries per member, but maintaining the one member one vote principle. I don't really understand the point about someone being denied a win by the vote being split - if people vote for the photo they like best, it doesn't matter whether an entrant has submitted one or two photo's - the best photo will still win, surely?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:24 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:26 pm
Jimmyb wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:16 pm

I would see this as a vote per photo, one person one vote, and the photo with the most votes wins, surely that is how it currently works
Yes it is, but I think Peter's point is that a person with two very similar entries that got, say, 10 votes each, would be beaten by somebody else who got 11 votes for one entry, when, if the original entrant had only entered one, he might have got 20 votes for that one.
Philip has understood and explained my comments better than I did but, thankfully, the final decision is not mine to make. After all this discussion the proof of its success lies in the number of entrants. I hope we can continue to join in with the idea of it being a just-for-fun activity, open to all and with no expression of success, failure or embarrassment.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:47 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:19 am No need to be like that Phillip.
Rod, Philip isn't "being like" anything - you said you found the discussion boring, and he suggested that you might choose not to read it, just as you would any other topic that doesn't interest you.

And I think we know Rik well enough to know that he doesn't underestimate the importance of a global pandemic, or global warming, or gun control, or any of the other examples he used as a mildly satirical way of agreeing that yes, sometimes we do take our little Forum a bit too seriously.

This is a friendly sort of a place, so please, let's cut each other a little slack.

On the subject of the photo competition, the changes made so far sound good to me, so I reckon we could either trial those, or the two photo option, and see where we end up. The main thing is that we all enter and/or vote!

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:00 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:53 am Your'e not right about Covid either Rik. It's the most important thing going on in the world and this country right now. How many thousands of people have died because of it. :(
I think you missed the point, Rod. Do you honestly think I was saying that this discussion really is more important than all those things I listed.....?

Rik
PS Just seen Andrew's response. I couldn't have put it better myself ..... My (clearly failed) attempt at a bit of levity
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:32 am

OK, this has now gone on long enough for everyone to have their say.

Taking into account what has been said, the Rules from here on will be as below. ( I will also post these as a sticky, separately).

With regards to how the theme is chosen, I had a proposal on 1st July from Rik, as the last winner, and this will be the theme for this current quarter which again I will post separately in the usual way. However, I am still open to the idea of having a pool of themes to draw on to spread the interest. So if anyone cares to PM me with ideas and I receive enough by the end of the current quarter we could trial that for the future. Please PM me, do not post on the open forum ( I will ignore any that are openly posted) to preserve anonymity.

Rules, as modified 31st July 2021:

1) To reduce the chances of focusing (!) on the photoshop arguments, it will be called "The Quarterly Garden Railway Gallery" ( QGRG) i.e. not a 'competition' although there will be voting for the best entry each quarter- best being defined however the individual voter chooses.

2) For a trial period, each registered forum member may submit TWO pictures, and those pictures may be replaced up until the closing date. Each picture must have a Title and if two pictures are submitted they MUST both be on the same post.

3) A picture does not have to be taken specifically, it can be one you took years previously, if you think it fits the theme.

4) The photographs submitted must be taken by the entrant themselves, and either of their own models, or of visitors to their railway, or their own stock when visiting another line.

5) The same photograph may not be entered into the QGRG more than once, but that does not exclude a picture which has been seen, for instance, in a thread on the forum, a blog, magazine article, etc.
Basic editing will be allowed. i.e straightening, cropping, resizing, but advanced techniques such as adding smoke or steam effects, adding background pictures, etc, will not be permitted. This does not exclude for instance, using temporary physical screens to hide unsightly backgrounds before taking a photo.

7) The winning entry allows the submitter to choose next the quarters theme, but he/she is barred from entering the theme they have chosen, to make things fair. The theme chosen should bear in mind that the membership stretches from the Antipodes to northern Canada and Russia, so climatic conditions vary hugeley at any given time!

8 ) There will be 4 Quarterly Galleries per year, December, March, June, September ( not Winter, Spring, etc, to avoid 'seasonalising', given the international membership).

9)The Gallery will be publicised as a Forum Announcement each quarter.

10) Every registered and logged in member will have ONE vote, which may be changed up to the end of the voting period.

11) Entries will be permitted up to 15th of the Quarter month and voting will take place between 15th and 30th. All members may vote irrespective of whether they have entered. The winner will be confirmed by 30th/31st of the quarter month. The winner will be expected to propose the next theme by 7th of the following month."

This thread will be locked once this is posted.
Philip