Garden Railway Gallery - a POLL, please read.

The quarterly gallery of entries and voted best pictures

Should we continue with the Quarterly Photo Gallery?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:38 pm

1- Yes, we should continue exactly the same.
41%
2) Yes we should continue but the way it runs needs to change.( We can have a debate about how, later).
44%
3) Carry on if you want to but I'm not interested.
15%
4) I don't think there is any point to it and it should stop.
No votes

Total votes: 41

philipy

Garden Railway Gallery - a POLL, please read.

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:38 pm

The Quarterly Galley has been running in it's present incarnation for a couple of years now.
I'm quite happy to continue to run it as I have been doing, however, looking at the figures, I have to ask whether it's worth the effort.
What I mean is that there is a small pool of members, a dozen or so, who frequently enter, and similarly, a small pool who actually bother to vote.
For this last quarter there were a total of 196 page views but only a total of 18 votes for 8 pictures, out of a membership of 1300.
Even if 50% of the page views were the 8 entrants repeatedly looking at their own votes, that still leaves about 100 people who looked but couldn't be bothered to press a vote button. It also means that 1100 of the 1300 members couldn't even be bothered to look!!

So I ask again, is it worth continuing?

I'm not at all sure we'll get more than the faithful 18 voting in this poll either, but I would implore all 1300 to make their voices heard, by voting., whether that is yes or no. The Poll will run for 2 weeks from today.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Garden Railway Gallery - a POLL, please read.

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:38 am

As Rod has posted in another thread it is good to see other's photos, however with very little imagination of my own, it is unlikely that I would ever have anything suitable, also when I have time to run trains between work, home maintenance, ensuring Mrs B is content with life, and building/making things, photos are usually the last thing on my mind. Maybe a change is needed (not sure to what), but please do not abandon it.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:14 pm

As they say, 'you can't please everyone', and as photography is considered more art than engineering it is no surprise that not all members choose to get involved.
Taking a photograph has to be 'posed' either by the subject (human or otherwise) or the photographer, so I see no issue with that aspect at all. The only problem then lies in the imagination of the entrant and interpretation of the competition title.
I still believe photographs shouldn't be altered/modified (as stated in the rules) but perhaps a second gallery of a more technical nature would create wider interest, perhaps alternating between the two?
The poll appears to show greater interest in continuing than ending, but again the numbers are not sufficient to warrant the amount of work involved.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:37 am

I seldom read the Gallery.
I am naturally inclined to vote 3.
But I am voting 2. Not because I feel entitled to an opinion but because, surely, those who do contribute photos and those who vote do so for some sort of enjoyment. Who am I to rain on anyone’s parade?
I didn’t vote 1 because debate is always good, even if nothing changes, the worst that can happen is the people that contribute to the debate are disappointed by the fact so few had an opinion πŸ™ƒ
Personally, my approach to the hobby is to make everything I can myself (within the limitations of my ability and equipment) but I respect those that have a railway empire mostly off the shelf of a model shop. As long as they are enjoying themselves the world is at peace. My approach to the hobby (life ?) produces a collection of part completed projects with very little photogenic appeal 😊
Different boats, different rigs.
Tim

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:13 pm

As someone who occasionally contributes and regularly votes, I think the competition is a great stimulus for encouraging members to take more photos. Sometimes we all need some sort of incentive to get us to take a snap of something which does, has or might occur on our railways but which we've not previously documented. Although I shoot a fair bit of video, I don't often take still photos.

It seems to me that setting up a scene, either in retrospect or completely off the cuff, to record an event, real or contrived, on our railways is nothing more than an extension of what we already do. After all, creating a garden railway is 90% imagination and only 10% reality.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:29 pm

I have to agree with Rik. The railway inspectors visit made me consider scenarios and set up the shots I needed, and it was actually fun to do. And it has also lead me to look at setting up 'scenes' whenever I run something.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:16 am

I've voted 1, but could have just as easily voted 2.
Just keep it running with the proviso that once the number of entries drops below a predetermined level you archive it.

BTW I've never entered a photo, but do follow the entries and always vote.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:22 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:16 am I've voted 1, but could have just as easily voted 2.
T'other way round for me, but with no strong conviction that anything's "wrong", just that it's always good to discuss things...

Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:24 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:13 pm After all, creating a garden railway is 90% imagination and only 10% reality.
I was about to disagree, claim that it's at least 50/50, and demand a poll on the subject - then I realised that if I honestly think that then I've lost any idea of what reality is anyway. Which is quite possible...

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:22 pm

I don't currently have a layout so find it hard to join in! I agree it's good to get people to post though, maybe a project photo of the month/quarter?

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:56 am

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:24 pm
ge_rik wrote: ↑Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:13 pm After all, creating a garden railway is 90% imagination and only 10% reality.
I was about to disagree, claim that it's at least 50/50, and demand a poll on the subject - then I realised that if I honestly think that then I've lost any idea of what reality is anyway. Which is quite possible...
Can I suggest we hold a poll on the average members' grasp on reality?

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:09 am

I still find it surprising that from all the membership of this forum ony 35 have bothered to vote. Is this part of the modern society malaise?
Phil

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:06 am

pandsrowe wrote: ↑Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:09 am I still find it surprising that from all the membership of this forum ony 35 have bothered to vote. Is this part of the modern society malaise?
I suspect this about 50% of regular visitors to the site, lots of members registered, and IMHO the majority probably visit less than once a month, and only when they want advice :)

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Could the number of pictures that can be posted to the site limit be a contributing factor?
Asking people to limit picture posts (or mess around merging them) then asking for pictures may be sending a mixed message.

Making the gallery stand out from other posts may help, I know I nearly missed it when perusing the board (a morning ritual while having a cuppa)
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:48 am

Don't see what the limit of photos matter. You only post one photo to be entered don't you, otherwise you end up with too much going on. It's hard enough to get members to post any photos and as for "setting up scenes" that fine so long as it doesn't get to be so much more about setting up scenes and not more natural, has most members who run their lines with building that are fixed and permanent and have some scenes that have rolling stock that haven't seen any powered machine in years. A lot of members haven't got bottomless pockets and have very little stock of any kind, so I think they feel that they haven't got much chance of winning it.

I personally have a few buildings and rolling stock, but unfortunately I don't have my line set with building that are permanent or rolling stock that don't move. Well I have some building and some rolling stock that I have every intention of not moving them, maybe it's having the confidence to take a photo with them I don't know, I suspect it's the same for a lot of members also.

Carry on with garden gallery, but it needs to be simpler and not seen to be more of a clique of members. I do appreciate though that with out those members who do post on a regular basis, it would end...

So carry on posting and you never know, one day I may put some on myself....

Sorry for going on guys.......

Admin Team
New User
New User

Post by Admin Team » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:16 pm

Everyone
(No Rod, this is not directed at you, just everyone and yes I am aware it's after your post, but the thread has been heading this way for some time)

Please think about any comments you post here as at the moment it seems very one sided towards the particular theme that was picked this time and not at the idea of the quarterly photos, which I think actually is run and runs very well considering how many regular members we actually have. It isn't always about scenery, or people, which I personally have no people for the line and neither do I have any buildings (remaining), but some do and it's lovely to see their entries and what they are capable of.

The theme changes so it supposed to cover something that many may people have but not necessary everyone every time. Sometimes I don't enter because I simply don't meet that theme, yet I do not feel victimised in any form, I don't feel that their is an elite group, I enjoy being part of the greater forum, I just love looking in envy at what some people have achieved.

The theme in the future might be something like, your best battery loco or your best steam loco, your best scratch build, or your oldest loco, your cheapest loco, your cheapest bit of rolling stock or your simplest, the list is absolutely endless, so please, if you can't enter one time, please just admire all the pictures that other people have produced.

If there is a problem with the way it is run then that is very different and maybe someone could start a post in the "Suggestions" area of the forum so the team can take a look and see if it's workable / possible /agreeable with most regular forum members.

Thank you
Admin Team
Admin Team

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:21 am

I do like the idea of a rolling stock "type" (age/power/build/etc) category, as an alternative to railway scenes i.e. set piece dioramas, and for those of us that do not buildings or many people because we like to just "run" trains.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:31 am

No offence taken Admin Team, bit strange though that in the post it states "I" quite a few times.

Still I hope it is resolved soon this poll, because it does seem to be taking a long time to be completed. I also enjoy, which I have mentioned many times, looking at members photos and admiring their work. It is one of the better threads in my opinion for what it's worth.

Hopefully members will see that it's well worth entering or posting any photos, whether they are successful builds or not so successful. They don't even need to be scratch builds, off the shelf are just as welcome in my eyes. I feel a lot of members don't like to post photos for some reason and yes maybe it is the present way of only two per post. I think personally two is fine and if I do need to post more, there are other options to do so.

Keep on running a brilliant and enjoyable forum, I think it's the best on the interweb....... :thumbright:

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:08 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:31 am
Keep on running a brilliant and enjoyable forum, I think it's the best on the interweb....... :thumbright:
Thanks Rod, much appreciated, let's hope we can all manage to keep it that way for the foreseeable future :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:13 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:31 am No offence taken Admin Team, bit strange though that in the post it states "I" quite a few times.
The reason for that is that "I" wrote that particular post from me but then put it up as from the Admin Team. This a a new account which any of the Admin Team have access to and they can make "Announcements" or comments which the team agree with rather than it coming from just one person.

Hope that makes some sense :dontknow: :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/