The Quarterly Garden Railway Gallery

The quarterly gallery of entries and voted best pictures
philipy

The Quarterly Garden Railway Gallery

Post by philipy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 am

Well I'm not sure how much real support the idea of a photographic 'competition' has, with 24 yes votes and 4 no votes, but 646 views of the thread!
Even with multiple visits to look at posts/replies, I suspect that means that a lot of people are not interested. However if only half of that 24 actually enter each time then it should be worth trying it out, I think. I know I said the poll would run for 10 days, and I'm not stopping it, but I can't see a lot of point in waiting any longer since there has been no further input for 4 days.

That said, and taking into account the various comments and thoughts, these are the rules:

1) To reduce the chances of focusing (!) on the photoshop arguments, it will be called "The Quarterly Garden Railway Gallery" ( QGRG) i.e. not a 'competition' although there will be voting for the best entry each quarter- best being defined however the individual voter chooses.

2) Only one picture may be submitted by each entrant, but that picture may be replaced up until the closing date. Each picture must have a Title.

3) A picture does not have to be taken specifically, it can be one you took years previously, if you think it fits the theme.

4) The photographs submitted must be taken by the entrant themselves, and preferably either of their own models, or of visitors to their railway, or their own stock when visiting another line.

5) The same photograph may not be entered into the QGRG more than once, but that does not exclude a picture which has been seen, for instance, in a thread on the forum, a blog, magazine article, etc.

6) Basic editing will be allowed. i.e straightening, cropping, resizing, but advanced techniques such as adding smoke or steam effects, adding background pictures, etc, will not be permitted. This does not exclude for instance, using temporary physical screens to hide unsightly backgrounds before taking a photo.

7) The winning entry allows the submitter to choose next the quarters theme, but he/she is barred from entering the theme they have chosen, to make things fair. The theme chosen should bear in mind that the membership stretches from the Antipodes to northern Canada and Russia, so climatic conditions vary hugeley at any given time!

8) There will be 4 Quarterly Galleries per year, December, March, June, September ( not Winter, Spring, etc, to avoid 'seasonalising', given the international membership).

9) Entries will be permitted up to 15th of the Quarter month and voting will take place between 15th and 25th. All members may vote irrespective of whether they have entered. The winner will be confirmed by 30th/31st of the quarter month. The winner will be expected to propose the next theme by 7th of the following month.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get things rolling, I am going to propose the theme for the first Gallery, which will be "My Railway". This can be whatever you want - choose one picture which you think shows off your railway to its best advantage, and for those who are not lucky enough to actually have a working line, a nice piece(s) of stock on a length of track suitably placed in front of a bush, could just be a winner - be creative and think outside the box!

I will start a new thread for entries to be posted too. This will obviously be a short quarter, so entries will need to be submitted to the thread by 15th March.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Quarterly Garden Railway Gallery

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Well done Philip, you have come up with a workable solution (I hope!) which should satisfy the majority. It has been a difficult time for you, probably nothing like you expected, but I'm pleased you have persevered and hope the QGRG will now be well patronised.
I will certainly take part in this venture.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Sounds like you have covered all the points mentioned in the thread, very good effort and I hope it all works out well for everyone :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I am looking forward to seeing all these pictures I have to admit, hoping to glean some inspiration out of them :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm

Whatever happens it should be admired that someone is trying to create interest and activity in the forum.

You all make the forum what it is, I just provide the platform...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:17 am

She’s only a young cat, so has grown up with digital technology
She’s only a young cat, so has grown up with digital technology
picture_edit_3P_800.jpg (219.49 KiB) Viewed 8382 times

Not posed, not a Photoshop composite but reportage – real life, candid photography, as it actually happened!

Didn't even stop to square up the computer screen or rearrange the other items more agreeably, as I probably should have done. It’s straightened and cropped - but the dark arts of image manipulation have been kept to a minimum.

Afterwards she went round the back of the screen looking for the other cat.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:11 am

Bertie, nice picture. :)
Not sure if you are wanting to enter it for this quarters Gallery, but if so could you repost it on the Gallery Entries page, please?
"https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=12287"
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:13 am

Got to say thank you Phillip for carrying on with the Photography Gallery Thread.

It's been hard work getting this far with it and hopefully it will have loads of interest. I will be submitting photos, but haven't to look through the 3 or 4 thousand I have of my exploits in 16mm may take some time..... :roll: Not that I have any that would compare with some of the excellent ones I have seen on other threads mate.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:16 am

philipy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:11 am
'...Not sure if you are wanting to enter it for this quarters Gallery...'
Thank you. I thought this one was a laugh, that's all. I'll find another picture for the Gallery.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm

BertieB wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:16 am
philipy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:11 am
'...Not sure if you are wanting to enter it for this quarters Gallery...'
Thank you. I thought this one was a laugh, that's all. I'll find another picture for the Gallery.
As far as I am concerned that picture captures all that is best in spontaneous and natural photography. It could be a serious contender in the category.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:05 pm

Great set of rules. Thanks for compiling them. Gives a lot of scope.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube