Gearbox motor

Traders selling products and or services
PLEASE NOTE: Listing here does not imply recommendation or endorsement by the forum administrators
Post Reply
User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Gearbox motor

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 14, 2023 4:14 pm

Gregh passed on this link to me which looks interesting. Not tried it but one of his fellow modellers is giving it a go. Works out at about £20 GBP Inc postage

https://alexnld.com/product/machifit-jg ... te=jgy-370

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5270
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by Peter Butler » Sun May 14, 2023 5:04 pm

I have used one on a 'static' model of one of my larger scale 'Rockets' and it is a strong and powerful motor which can be linked directly to a driving axle. Its only failing is that it needs large diameter wheels to allow adequate clearance above rail height. It could be adapted to drive chain or belt drive or some other linkage?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 14, 2023 6:16 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:04 pm I have used one on a 'static' model of one of my larger scale 'Rockets' and it is a strong and powerful motor which can be linked directly to a driving axle. Its only failing is that it needs large diameter wheels to allow adequate clearance above rail height. It could be adapted to drive chain or belt drive or some other linkage?
Yes - I see what you mean, Peter. Just looked at the dimensions on the link (scroll down) and the axles are at the centre of a 32mm deep gearbox housing, which means the wheels need to be greater than 32mm diameter to give clearance. Might be OK for a loco with large drivers but for most NG locos, it would be a struggle.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

User avatar
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1245
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed May 17, 2023 10:48 pm

The notes in the accompanying text are 'interesting' to say the least!
Chinglish at its finest🤦‍♂️
Note:
– When you use a motor, can not have bound items, such as adhesives do not flow into the rotary shaft through bearings, and obstruction of the operation of the motor.
– The rod of rotation of the motor's life may have the opposite effect, in order to prolong life, please check whether your load goods according to regulations, can not overload or prejudice the rotation shaft hanging items.
– Manufactured heavy eccentric load of radiation, harmful life of the motor.
– Do not store than four weeks high or extreme humidity, but also do not place in the etching gas, the motor will reduce the effect.
– Do not run the motor in the surrounding temperature and moisture.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 18, 2023 9:52 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:48 pm The notes in the accompanying text are 'interesting' to say the least!
Chinglish at its finest🤦‍♂️
Note:
– When you use a motor, can not have bound items, such as adhesives do not flow into the rotary shaft through bearings, and obstruction of the operation of the motor.
– The rod of rotation of the motor's life may have the opposite effect, in order to prolong life, please check whether your load goods according to regulations, can not overload or prejudice the rotation shaft hanging items.
– Manufactured heavy eccentric load of radiation, harmful life of the motor.
– Do not store than four weeks high or extreme humidity, but also do not place in the etching gas, the motor will reduce the effect.
– Do not run the motor in the surrounding temperature and moisture.
Is it an example of Google Translate at its finest, or maybe just the output of an enthusiastic student with the Chinese equivalent of an O Level in English I wonder?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

User avatar
gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:44 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by gregh » Tue May 23, 2023 11:17 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:04 pm I have used one on a 'static' model of one of my larger scale 'Rockets' and it is a strong and powerful motor which can be linked directly to a driving axle. Its only failing is that it needs large diameter wheels to allow adequate clearance above rail height. It could be adapted to drive chain or belt drive or some other linkage?
Not only need big wheels for clearance, but for speed too. Specs say max RPM is 120 at full load. At my scale of 1:24, using 48mm dia wheels, gives a max speed of 25kph. You guys at 1:20 or so it is even slower. May not be much use for any smaller wheeled locos like diesels.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 471
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:28 pm
Location: Staffs. UK

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by Phil.P » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:57 am

Personally, I think slow is 'better'..
You can use a larger gear on the motor output, and something smaller on the axle. - Even gear-up the speed, then use bevel-gears for the final drive.

It should make it quieter. But that all depends how quiet the original motor /gears are?

Phil.P

User avatar
drewzero1
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 530
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:35 pm
Location: WI, US

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by drewzero1 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:50 pm

I was skeptical of gearmotors at first but at Rik's suggestion I picked up a can gearmotor unit for my steam outline scratch build. At 176RPM it's plenty fast and I've started running it at half voltage to keep it on the tracks! The wheels are somewhere around 22-24mm dia and the bevel gears are 1:1. Here's what it looks like at full power:
'THORNAS' on two wheels around a tight curve
'THORNAS' on two wheels around a tight curve
9de46c92-4e5c-40c7-9809-3638ddb326d2.gif (5.36 MiB) Viewed 11717 times

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6641
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Gearbox motor

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:21 pm

drewzero1 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:50 pm I was skeptical of gearmotors at first but at Rik's suggestion I picked up a can gearmotor unit for my steam outline scratch build. At 176RPM it's plenty fast and I've started running it at half voltage to keep it on the tracks! The wheels are somewhere around 22-24mm dia and the bevel gears are 1:1. Here's what it looks like at full power:
9de46c92-4e5c-40c7-9809-3638ddb326d2.gif
:thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest