Peter Jones Loco Works #7 Mamod WD 0-6-0 IRENE

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Peter Jones Loco Works #7 Mamod WD 0-6-0 IRENE

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 am

Do you remember number 5 "RUTH ANN"? Well number 6 is still in the works and number 7 is now ready for duty!

So here is Peter Jones Loco Works #7 Mamod W↑D 0-6-0 "IRENE".

This one has taken a while (they all do don't they :) ). I wanted to develop things a bit further with this version of the 0-6-0 but still wanted it to be a Mamod. When does a modified Mamod loco stop being a Mamod loco? A debate for another thread perhaps?

This 0-6-0 still retains the same Mamod loco principals at any rate. It uses Mamod side tanks and the upper half of the Mamod loco cab back. Thankfully the unmistakable smoke box and chimney are retained.

I was able to purchase what was possibly the last ‘new old stock’ IP Engineering upgrade boiler available from RWM Steam (Roy Wood) some time back and this set up has been used as supplied on IRENE. The reverser is ex PPS stock although I have modified the steam pipe and exhaust connections and they are now soft soldered in place for perfect steam tightness.

The pistons assemblies are from the new RWM stock and these come highly recommended – superb performance straight off and they appear to look and operate in a way that is far superior to the DS ones IMO.

The gas burner is a BIX unit coupled to a large gas tank and pipe again from RWM. Running on a no 5 jet this set up is excellent. I am trying the all metal version of the RWM burner on my loco number 6.

In-line lubrication comes from the Roundhouse set up which can’t be beaten on simplicity, use and performance. A must have addition to an upgraded Mamod loco.

Wheels are Dream Steam steel upgrades – not bad but they needed truing even though I sent some back that were very ‘wonky’ and got replacements that were not quite as bad.

So what parts have I made for this model – I imagine the pictures speak for themselves but here are the parts that I have designed and made for IRENE:

• Tank overlays with rivet detail
• Front and rear buffer beams with rivet detail
• Working coal hatch rear cab
• Cab steps
• Smoke box apron with rivet details and running boards
• 0-6-0 frames and coupling rods
• Steel wheel inserts to give some extra detail to the plain DS wheels
• W↑D decals

Enjoy the pictures!

Image Image

Image Image

TTHLRMatt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TTHLRMatt » Fri May 24, 2013 8:02 am

Brilliant Peter (I am Matt, Perrow Productions who filmed Ruth Anne at the midlands ex). Just wondering, how much would it be for you to do the same as Irene to a mss 0-4-0 with original boiler and, in cab reg, displacement lubricator and upgrade cylinders (so what you have done with upgrade boiler)

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 24, 2013 8:11 am

how much would it be for you to do the same as Irene to a mss 0-4-0
Hiya Matt - thanks for your interest in this. Unfortunately I am not in a position to take on work for others at this time but should this change in the future I will let you know.

Happy steaming!

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 24, 2013 8:17 am

Bloomin' lovely Peter! :D

I have to admit that at first glance I wasn't sure about the steam dome, but by the time I'd made my way through the portfolio, it'd grown on me and suits the loco.

I LOVE the rivet detail parts (tanks, beams & apron) and all the other added detail - excellent job :thumbright:

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 24, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks Greg for your kind comments!
I have to admit that at first glance I wasn't sure about the steam dome
What I think it needs is the SV blackening with some Carr's metal black (same stuff I have used on the chains). The idea was that I wanted to put the Goodall valve in the cab and fill through the cab roof and put the SV where it is now. When it blows off at 40 psi it looks excellent! It just looks too spindly on its own hence the stop end conversion to a steam dome - i liked the look of the flater steam dome top as seen on the WD Baldwins.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 24, 2013 8:37 am

as seen on the WD Baldwins
That's it!! Blindingly obvious but I couldn't put my finger on it!
Very elegant solution for cab access by the way! :D

Can I ask what thickness sheet you've used for the tanks and apron?

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 24, 2013 8:47 am

Can I ask what thickness sheet you've used for the tanks and apron?
All laser cut from 1mm steel sheet. The tank overlays are actually riveted to the Mamod side tanks prior to painting although you could leave a couple of rivets out and install with 8BA round head screws.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 24, 2013 9:02 am

:shock: Mar-ve-lous! :salute:

dougrail
Driver
Driver

Post by dougrail » Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 am

Oh My God.... :shock:

Overlays, gas fired, 0-6-0...magic, mage, simply magic! I see you took my recommendation RE RWM supercylinders and that it has paid off bigtime. ;)

Bravo!!!

DolwyddelanLightRail
Driver
Driver

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri May 24, 2013 12:40 pm

That does look very nice! I like the feature of the working cabsheet doors!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 24, 2013 1:10 pm

Well Peter I'm lost for words - Absolutely Brilliant!

I can see that it has been influenced by locomotives at your favourite railway - the L&B.

Smoke box handles - John Prescott ones as the cast ones I got from DJB recently are not as good looking?

Cab area looks very crowded, large gas tank to the right, lubricator & driver model to the left - how do you operate the IP Eng regulator, which would be a lever inside the cab?

I'll be interested to hear your experiences with the RWM metal box burner. I've got one of the old PPS ones which was fitted to my prototype PPS De Winton. Despite changing the jet size it did not perform as well as the similar sized Bix ceramic burner (I've now got the correct RWM circular ceramic burner to fit instead). Doug has posted that Roy has improved the box burner but no further details (Roy gained a large supply of these burners with the PPS take-over and it is the standard burner fitted to the RWM Janet which apparently works OK).

Chris Cairns.

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Fri May 24, 2013 1:22 pm

That looks marvelous always wondered why Mamod never made a 0-6-0 them selves, but I don't think they would match the quality of yours. Looks like a well made loco, Any chance of a video of it in action. :)
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri May 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks Chris for your kind words of appreciation!
I can see that it has been influenced by locomotives at your favourite railway - the L&B.
You have a good eye! Side tank design inspired by AXE - so pleased you could see that in the loco. I love the L&B :)
Smoke box handles - John Prescott ones as the cast ones I got from DJB recently are not as good looking?
Smoke box handle from John Prescott - bought a few before he sadly passed away. He also made a special brass smokebox for me right before he died :( It's not for a Mamod - it was for another project I was thinking about.
Cab area looks very crowded, large gas tank to the right, lubricator & driver model to the left - how do you operate the IP Eng regulator, which would be a lever inside the cab?
Yes it is a bit cramped! I cut the IP handle short and have enough room to turn it with one finger - gets damn hot in the cab but it all works OK.
I'll be interested to hear your experiences with the RWM metal box burner.
The box type burner looks OK. It uses a number 3 jet not a number 5 like the BIX. The flame is blue and looks OK - not as strong as the BIX but then again the metal one does not glow like the ceramic of the BIX so it could just be perception. I will let you all know when number 6 is ready to show ;)

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Fri May 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Yes my PPS box burner had a No. 3 jet fitted so I replaced that with a No.5 jet to increase performance. Problem with the De Winton vertical boiler is that the burner is effectively enclosed so you light the burner from the top of the chimney/flue and try and judge the burner output by looking through the cross tubes in the flue - turn up the gas too much and the flame comes out the top of chimney!

Have you seen the 16 mm project loco 'Victory'? One of those is in grey WD colours and has similarities in looks to your 'Irene'.

Chris Cairns.

Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Now all you need to a black and white photo with some world war one busybodies figures!

That engine is marvellous Peter :D
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Sat May 25, 2013 9:29 pm

Bravo!

Tres Decauville. :D

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:45 pm

superb loco

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

Thank you for the positive comments. I do love doing my Mamodifications! It does take quite some time and can sometimes be frustrating. However, mostly it is greatly rewarding to turn a 'basic' Mamod loco into something a bit special. The WD 0-6-0 is my favourite so far I think :)

The rivet work certainly lifts the whole loco to a new level.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm

An 0-6-0 Pair.....

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue May 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Lovely pair! :D