How freely should everything move on MSS side tank loco?

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
alpeace89
New User
New User

How freely should everything move on MSS side tank loco?

Post by alpeace89 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Hi, I just got a MSS side tank locomotive today from Dream Steam. It's my first live steam locomotive and I'm struggling to get it going, even on blocks. One thing I've noticed is that the moving parts (wheels, pistons etc.) are quite stiff and stick at part of their cycle. I ask because I steamed it up 5 times last night and couldn’t get anything to move. It was lubricated between each attempt. Is this normal? Any tips to get things moving are appreciated.

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How freely should everything move on MSS side tank loco?

Post by -steves- » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:24 pm

Firstly I am no expert on this.

That said, I have had a few Mamod and MSS loco's and still own a couple. Something sounds wrong as it should be fairly easy to turn the wheels on said loco. Is there anything obvious that is causing the issue? It is most certainly worth giving Dreamsteam a phone call and seeing what they say as I have always found them quite helpful.

Someone else might be able to give you more of a clue, but good luck and I hope you resolve this soon :thumbup:

P.S. Welcome to the forum :D
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

alpeace89
New User
New User

Re: How freely should everything move on MSS side tank loco?

Post by alpeace89 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:46 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's helpful to know that it sounds not quite right. I can move it bit there is a point in the cycle that it sticks and I'm struggling to believe that it could push through this point itself. I do know they need running in a bit but I've dropped Dreamsteam an email so I will see what they say.