Ordered me a new Brunel

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Ordered me a new Brunel

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Since Regner nolonger offers the Willi model, and the twin cylinder Chaloner is out of budget for a bit yet, I decided to order me a Brunel. I was especially interested after seeing the newest version with better gearing, the canopy and wood cladding, which to me really makes the model stand out. The green/red color scheme really fits with my Shire Valley Tramway theme. Hopefully not to long of a wait till it arrives here in the states. I dug out all my LGB field railway cars to clean them up and get ready for the arrival of Brunel. Cheers Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Ordered me a new Brunel

Post by BorisSpencer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 am

Enjoy.
My Brunel is my "go to" loco if someone calls in and wants to see some live steam. Raises steam quickly, and being geared I don't have to chase it around the garden trying to get the regulator just right.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:04 pm

Thats how my Regner Willi was back years ago. Only sold it to pay other bills that life created. Current job does away with that problem at the current time. Since I could not get another Willi and with Chaloner being double the price of the Brunel, a Brunel it was. Its on its way to me now, should have it here in a couple days at the most. My LGB field railway roilling stock is awaiting his arrival. Mike the Aspie

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Ooh rather jealous! Although I will say that personally I'm not really a big fan of the Mamod design of canopy.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:02 pm

To me is better built than the Regner one that used to be offered for their Willi model. It was a mix of wood and metal and quite flimsy. I am a bit hamfisted at times(autistic with body/space cordination issues among other issues), so I prefer something all metal and heavily built. What I dont like is the steam exhaust being diverted below the frame. I will repipe this to a condisate tank, then up thru the roof with either its own chimney or a pipe up the back of the boiler stack like a steam ship. I will also extend the safety exhaust up the face of the stack like a steam ship, both being just a tad shorter than the boiler uptake. The condisate tank will keep crud from going up the exhaust pipe. Brunel should be here today or tomorrow depending on the courier. I hope it comes before I have to leave for work so I can do a quick steam up. Mike the Aspie

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:55 pm

artfull dodger wrote: ↑Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:02 pm What I dont like is the steam exhaust being diverted below the frame.
I thought I'd read that they don't come with the downward exhaust pipe any more?
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it, 'cos one day...

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:04 pm

Which ever way it points, its gonna get plumbed up thru the roof. I may convert my railway to mostly all Mamod stuff. I have played with many other live steamers from Pearse(which is for sale right now) to Asters. And while my taller raised line will remain gauge 1/45mm. I would like to build a smaller 32mm gauge set up, similar to the late Jim Slater's Bumbley Bumblebahn in a pair of wood planter boxes just below the level of my big raised line. It has to be somewhat raised due to our dogs, ground level doesn't work very well with my dogs. I am on the hunt for a boxed RS1/RS3 train set with the green engine, along with more track ect. Something about the little quaint Mamod SL1 style loco that just appeals to me and always has for some reason. Even with its poor running till one does a wee bit of upgrading. I really wish Mamod, would reissue the SL1, but with all the typical upgrades one does to the old models. But keep the original style and charm, which the newer engines seem to lack. The Brunel looks great, but the others lack the charm of the original SL series. Since I doubt we will see that, and MSS's quality is all over the place, I will find me a nice RS set to start to upgrade. Mike

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 am

artfull dodger wrote: ↑Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:04 pm The Brunel looks great, but the others lack the charm of the original SL series. Since I doubt we will see that, and MSS's quality is all over the place, I will find me a nice RS set to start to upgrade.
I agree. I think that MSS has the rights to the SL design these days, so I can't see Mamod making it again. I do rather love my SL3, which with its meths burner, replacement safety valve and RWM wheels runs beautifully although I'd like to repaint it and fit a lubricator. The Stirling - and derivative "Hunslet" - is very interesting, but it's the Brunel I'd be saving for if there weren't other things needing money spent!
PS: I meant that I believe that Brunels don't come with any exhaust pipe these days, i.e. as supplied the steam exhausts from the cylinder block (presumably spraying oil everywhere) but it makes no difference since you're going to fit a condenser tank and high-level exhaust.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Mike,

Hope you get many years of enjoyment running your Brunel. Hope to see some photos soon.

I have found a RS1 for you if you are interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAMOD-RS1-LI ... 0012.m1985

Those Mamod"s are very nice machines. I partially like the Showman's Tractors myself.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm

I just wish Mamod supplied the fitting that screws into the cylinder block so as to fit a silicone hose to the condsiate tank. Need a 4ba to hose barb fitting. I can get a nice condisate tank from Clevedon steam. Yes, blowing hot water, steam and oil everywhere out the side of the cylinder is about my only gribe about the model. Not very safe at shows when running at a childs eye level, even if there is a rope around the layout. The added cost of adding the fitting in the parts kit, or a condisate tank in the ample space at the end of the model would cost Mamod very little and would not add that much to the models cost. I suggested this as a MK4 revision upgrade but they didnt seem interested despite the safety issue being raised. Most of their models exhaust into the smoke box being horizontal boilers, the Brunel is a bit different, so maybe some more learning is needed with their staff. Either way, the aftermarket covers the need, just need to source that fitting so I can fit a pipe to the cylinder block. Mike

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:38 am

If you find a source for such a fitting please post the details.
A condensation tank should be easily fabricated from some copper 22mm pipe and a couple of end caps.

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:05 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: ↑Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:38 am If you find a source for such a fitting please post the details.
Seconded! Not that I have a use for one (yet), of course...

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:58 am

Clevedon Steam has a very suitable tank as model steam boats need to keep the oil from going out the exhaust and into the water they run in. He is making me up a fitting and knows there is a need for this type of fitting. I am hoping he makes this part available for the masses. The thread into the block is 4ba according to Mamod.

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks - useful information (or it would be if I actually had a Brunel or thought I'd be likely to have one in the near future!).

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:38 pm

So has it arrived yet?

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:49 am

Hi Mike, if you fancy something like an SL1 but with all the upgrades, have you considered a "Janet" made by Roy Wood? They look like great little engines and are basically just that- an upgraded Mamod.