A new MSS locomotive and tank wagon

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

A new MSS locomotive and tank wagon

Post by CSL » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Well, OK, actually a (Ma)modification of the standard loco, but apparently with a pressure gauge. Can't tell whether that's a functioning lubricator, and not sure how durable the paint on the boiler and cylinders might prove.
https://www.dreamsteam.co.uk/mss-mamod- ... -loco.html

And perhaps a working discharge tap on the tanker?
https://www.dreamsteam.co.uk/mss-mamod- ... -tank.html

(More information on the Dream Steam site than MSS's own.)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: A new MSS locomotive and tank wagon

Post by Keith S » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 pm

I notice that dream steam offers an "intermediate ugrade kit" seperately that includes a pressure gauge, displacement lubricator, steam regulator, and other goodies for about Β£70. The green loco in the picture has a pressure gauge evident through the spectacle so I would hazard a guess that it's being sold with the upgrades including lubricator.

It looks like a nice little engine.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 am

The new MSS is a nice little engine. It looks really smart and they run well - although I use mine with gas rather than the solid fuel blocks. The painted boiler holds up well with the gas firing. Gas is a cleaner burn than the solid fuel though so you may get more discoloration with the blocks. The pressure gauge is a very useful addition to the loco although it is not protected with a syphon. The loco is fitted with an up-rated SV compared with the 'standard' model. The lubricators are actually drip-feed oilers. They look nice but I'm not convinced they are particularly effective in use.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:53 am

They do look very nice locos. I guess if you wanted to have RC, you would need to put it in the tender or other such wagon.

The reason being, they are a very cheap introduction into 16mm live steam and so very affordable for the younger person (With Adult Supervision). We need to get young people into our hobby and I feel these are ideal.