New loco from Mamod

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: New loco from Mamod

Post by SimonWood » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:22 pm

Not disagreeing with any of your other points Philip, but I'm pretty sure it is still in production - a member of our group just bought one. And confirming what I said 4 years ago, I have witnessed that it does indeed come with R/C and sound...!

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:10 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:27 am From the Mamod website:

https://www.mamod.co.uk/shop-categories ... zNtgRolt20
Thanks for sharing that link. I haven't visited Mamod's site since I purchased a Boulton back in 2017. I see it now comes with r/c for just over £600. Wasn't an option when I bought mine (I fitted Deltang later, myself) but the price was about £360. That seems like very expensive r/c to me on both the tram and Boulton, even allowing for increased material/labour costs!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:42 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:10 pm Thanks for sharing that link. I haven't visited Mamod's site since I purchased a Boulton back in 2017. I see it now comes with r/c for just over £600. Wasn't an option when I bought mine (I fitted Deltang later, myself) but the price was about £360. That seems like very expensive r/c to me on both the tram and Boulton, even allowing for increased material/labour costs!
I bought my Boulton for £325 two years ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Seemed like good value then. The extra £280 it costs now includes sound and a remote as well as the RC receiver, plus inflation, but I agree I think they may have taken the opportunity to increase the mark up as well. Perhaps their initial price was too low, but if they are hiding the increase by withdrawing the bare loco, that's a shame because I imagine there are still people who might want that option. I fitted a Deltang receiver to mine but already had a remote and have no interest in sound, so I wouldn't buy what's on offer today.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:13 pm

SimonWood wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:42 am
I bought my Boulton for £325 two years ago, and I'm very pleased with it. Seemed like good value then. The extra £280 it costs now includes sound and a remote as well as the RC receiver, plus inflation, but I agree I think they may have taken the opportunity to increase the mark up as well. Perhaps their initial price was too low, but if they are hiding the increase by withdrawing the bare loco, that's a shame because I imagine there are still people who might want that option. I fitted a Deltang receiver to mine but already had a remote and have no interest in sound, so I wouldn't buy what's on offer today.
That's what I get for posting 'on the fly' from my phone :roll: I purchased in May 2018, and you're right, the cost was £325
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077