Improving Mamod & MSS Performance

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Improving Mamod & MSS Performance

Post by sjrixon » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 am

Did you continue to fettle your Mamod? Did the Isopropanol help?

I've an SL1. New boiler, upgraded safety valves, meths burner. But the performance is lack luster at best. I won't do a loop of my fairly flat track. Part of me wants to get it working, but also it's already cost me quite a lot of money to not really get anywhere.

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:41 pm

sjrixon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:04 am Did you continue to fettle your Mamod?
Confession time: not yet. To be honest I've barely done anything with the garden railway in the last year and more. That said, I did have friends round on a couple of afternoons and I have to say I must have got lucky with my SL3: it's a rather good performer (although I don't load it up much). The real transformation was when I replaced the wheelsets with new from RWM - the original wheels had come loose on the axles so I suppose it's little surprise!
You can see some recent pictures of it - unchanged! - in the Garden Railway Inspection thread. (I'm sure you'll spot that I saved time by not steaming. Cheating, eh?)
Never say never, though! I still fancy stripping, repainting and fitting a lubricator... no idea when it'll happen, though.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm going to have another crack in the summer at getting mine to run better....

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:56 pm

sjrixon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm I'm going to have another crack in the summer at getting mine to run better....
I hope you'll report on the results here! One day I hope to do the same...