MSS Side Tank Loco first steaming

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

MSS Side Tank Loco first steaming

Post by steamer68 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi I managed to complete the first running in process of my MSS Side Tank loco this morning, there was hardly any priming or water loss during her first steam. Really happy with my loco will continue running her in I think I have a good one which I'm pleased about. I have replaced the stock parts for upgraded parts such as the high pressure valve which is where the whistle was, I have added a water top valve where the existing safety valve was , I have added a chimney cowl and brass cab handrails all bought from dream steam. :D :D
Regards
Kevin

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: MSS Side Tank Loco first steaming

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Glad it is working out for you Kevin.

Any pictures or video of it running?

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:50 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:36 pm Glad it is working out for you Kevin.

Any pictures or video of it running?
Hi Tom I will make a video of the loco running when I steam her again it won't be long as I need to run her in a bit more. Thanks for your comments Tom. :thumbleft: I know these little locos only cost about quarter or half the price of a much better loco but its my first step into live steam and I'm saving already for a Telford or a Brunel not made my mind up yet Tom. :thumbleft:
Regards
Kevin

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:41 pm

steamer68 wrote: I know these little locos only cost about quarter or half the price of a much better loco but its my first step into live steam and I'm saving already for a Telford or a Brunel not made my mind up yet Tom.
A read through some of the Topics over on the Unofficial Mamod Forums should enlighten you to the woes that the Thomas Telford is still suffering from: -

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/modelst ... 91095.html

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/modelst ... 97668.html

On the other hand, the Brunel is now up to the Mark III version incorporating a couple of fixes that were published in 16mm Today (SMT) and is now proving to be a good runner. It is rather large for 16mm scale (suits 7/8ths scale better) so you may need to check trackside clearances first. I have a Mark I Version II Brunel (taller than the Mark II & III) which I could only run with the engine block on one side of the track due to a fouling issue with a scenic arch on a 45mm indoor layout.

Chris Cairns

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:57 am

Hi Chris thanks for the reply and the links I do love these little MSS engines and especially if you have one that runs really nicely like mine. I will most probably be buying another MSS loco as I find they are fun to run and you can by after market upgrades and enhancements to make these loco even better. I think if your pockets are deep you can by something miles better but I find I get enjoyment and satisfaction running these quaint little locos which adds to this great hobby. :thumbleft:
Regards
Kevin