MSS loco on 4' diameter curves ?

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
Abiogenesis
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: MSS loco on 4' diameter curves ?

Post by Abiogenesis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:59 am

CSL,

You can purchase steel replacement wheels for your Mamod from Roy Wood Models. The bearings are a little larger, so the frames will require easing with a rat tail file. Go easy, it doesn't take long, I also purchased coupling rods as the original brass items had oval holes. The circlips should be removed & replaced (without washers or the wheels will bind) inside a plastic bag.

I have two SL1s, one of which had only one cylinder when I bid for it. Loco 1 now has RWM "O" ring pistons & cylinders, RWM lubricator, RWM silver soldered boiler with sight glass & Goodall filler, RWM 40psi safety valve & needle valve regulator, Forest Classics gas firing, RWM wheels & coupling rods. Only the frames, drag beam & reversing valve are original, The cab has also changed to match the RWM "Janet" style.

Loco 2 has the original boiler fitted with Goodall filler, RWM 40psi safety valve & needle valve regulator, lubricator & Forest Classics gas firing, The original running gear works very well for now. Both locos are very easy to control & will haul substantial loads. Loco 1 had 7.5 kg & 16 axles on the drawbar, whilst running on the West Herts indoor track last Saturday. I must get more wagons. The ones I have are all loaded with timber, rocks & pieces of lead & they aren't heavy enough.

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Abiogenedis,

Thanks for the tip - am looking into it!

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Mon May 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Six months on to the day and we have success!

I have fitted Roy Wood wheelsets and - admittedly after one run only - seem to have a much happier Mamod SL3.

I fitted meths firing some time back in the Nineties (Kenversions I think) which gives about eight minutes' running, and at long last it will run continuous circuits of my modest garden line (an almost flat loop with Peco SM32 track and nominally three-foot radius curves) for most of that time.

It was only hauling two Mamod coaches but I'm not convinced more can be expected. Am I being unambitious? (I don't really want to change to gas firing for thia loco.)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:33 am

New thread started regarding performance improvements to Mamod/MSS locos:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 44&t=11937

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:45 am

If he means Piko, as in the clone of LGB track, the MSS loco will be just fine on the 600mm curves if the speed is kept reasonable. Now the Peco brand track is another story as can be read elsewhere here. I have run MSS loco's on my LGB 600mm diameter track, their R1, without any major issues but if you let the speed get to fast, she will derail or roll over on her side. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:12 pm

You could really do with banked curves once a Mamod takes off.

Don

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm

artfull dodger wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:45 am ... the MSS loco will be just fine on the 600mm curves if the speed is kept reasonable...
Er... bit of a big if there!

Interesting point about Piko versus Peco, which is beyond my knowledge.