Wheel quartering

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Wheel quartering

Post by pskipper » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:03 am

So having found out that my mamod has a warped axle I ordered a replacement set of MSS rear wheels from from dream steam only to discover that one wheel is 180' out when compared to the mamod wheels. I'm assuming that this is a manufacturing error as they are supposed to be direct replacements and have emailed dream steam requesting a replacement.

Obviously I'm hoping for a replacement which will solve the problem but just thought I'd ask for advice for requartering a mamod wheel set where the wheels haven't come loose as everything on line is to do with loose wheels.

Thanks,

Philip

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Wheel quartering

Post by pskipper » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Just received an email stating that MSS wheels are quartered differently to Mamod wheels, in spite of the web shop claiming that everything is completely compatible. I await a response to my reply asking if they actually sell compatible wheels :roll:

On the other hand the response has been next working day so that's not bad.

pskipper
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pskipper » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 pm

And the answer is no, if you need to replace an axle on an original mamod you need to either find a second hand one or replace both axles. On the plus side they have updated the wheel set page on their web shop to state that the wheel sets are not cross compatible because of the quartering.

Just a bit annoyed because if they had bothered to put that on originally I would have saved postage on the front axle :( Rant over ;)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks for sharing though, at least no one else buying from them will have this problem now they have updated their site.