A small collection of mamod's

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
RadioActiveGnome
Cleaner
Cleaner

A small collection of mamod's

Post by RadioActiveGnome » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Here's my mamod collection so far.

all 3 of them lined up

Closeups, in probably inaccurate order of  manufacture

the sl1 (no prize for guessing which buffer is a replacement)

the recently completed sl2

the mss queen's diamond jubilee

Restore log of the mamodifed sl2

The sl2 was gifted to me as an xmas present, it came with a high pressure safety valve, water-top-up valve and upgraded cylinders but the modified body did not permit them to fit.

It was fitted with rc linkages but no radio gear or servos.

Strangely it had old hornby clockwork couplings.

i do not have a water-top-up bottle to make use of the valve however.

from my probably inaccurate research it was apparently traded on this forum to another member who later sold it on fleabay.
my only guess as to why is they took one look at the strange way it was assembled and noped right out of their plans to finish it.

i then learned that certain parts of the modified body were fragile and break off easily. oops.

Never-less i am stubborn and gently took apart the loco with a hammer.

heres how it looked shortly before i took it apart

taking it apart proved difficult as some of the nuts and bolts were soldered together, some nuts too large for the bolts and soldered together anyway, some bolts outright soldered to the body and the front buffer beam was just nailed in.

Having taken the body apart i found the locomotive underneath in surprisingly good condition considering how much rust was on the external body.

The original rear buffer-beam seems to have been bent upwards so the previous buffer slots could be used to hold the extended body on.

i debated whether to continue with the mamodification or restore the sl2.
you've probably already guessed what option i chose

Having removed the rust to the best of my ability, i painted the body with ral 5012 satin paint, sadly i forgot to take pictures of this.

With the mamodifcation going so well i decided to line the locomotive myself, having seen how easy other people made it look i figured how hard could it be?

I put masking tape around the body, was very careful not to let paint touch anything unprotected, waited for it to dry overnight and then removed the masking tape.

Turns out my paint was a little runny and the masking tape did not adhere to the body well, allowing it to run under the tape. oops.

Never-less, i removed my horrendous lining and have gained alot of respect for those who can do it.

Here it is, being pulled as rolling stock. you can barely tell it was lined horribly.

Having brought this to a club track before id named it resulted in them naming it for me. the sl2 is now known as thomas.

The sl2 was pulled as rolling stock as they didn't allow me to run it, something about hand grenades not having boiler certificates, i wasn't paying attention.

Learning via near-constant decoupling the old hornby clockwork couplings were not very good for anything other than old hornby clockwork wagons  i had decided to replace them.

Here she is, brass polished until i could see my own reflection and with multi-height couplings fitted.

I have yet to fit radio gear in locomotive and some new handrails are in the post for her, will add pictures when this done.
Last edited by RadioActiveGnome on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:39 pm

Please can you edit your post so that it is possible to see the pictures? I am sure they are great but they are unnecessarily huge. Thanks. The option to open in new tab doesn't come up for me.

RadioActiveGnome
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RadioActiveGnome » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Superbiker_uk:123521 wrote:Please can you edit your post so that it is possible to see the pictures? I am sure they are great but they are unnecessarily huge. Thanks. The option to open in new tab doesn't come up for me.
Sorry about that, i thought the forum would resize them automatically.

ive changed them from 5184x3456 size to 800x533 now.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you for the picture re-size - those Mamod loco's look great!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:05 am

Very interesting. I do like the idea of taking things apart with a hammer.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:01 pm

The WPSR assisted in running Thomas round the track. Interesting engineering!!

The problem about its running was that it didn't have a boiler certificate and ran on meths Neither of which is allowed on that particular railway setup by the owners.
Last edited by Sir Clothem Cap on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: A small collection of mamod's

Post by Killian Keane » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:17 pm

RadioActiveGnome:123501 wrote:The original rear buffer-beam seems to have been bent upwards so the previous buffer slots could be used to hold the extended body on.
Yes, my mamod had been modified in the same way, a big headache to sort out and make sense of, so I appreciate how much work you've had to put in! :thumbleft: :hello1:
Blokes with tea can build anything

RadioActiveGnome
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RadioActiveGnome » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Here is a before and after picture of the mamod sl2.

As you can see handrails have now been fitted, a buffer has gone missing and a high tech system has been fitted to hide where the rc gear will be.

Balsa-wood floor with toothpicks to hold it up and coal repeatedly hit with a hammer until desired size then glued to the balsa-wood.
most of which has fallen off already.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Re: A small collection of mamod's

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:07 am

Looking good. I love the way the main engineering tool is a hammer :D