An Autistic's indoor live steam/battery railway build

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

An Autistic's indoor live steam/battery railway build

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:35 pm

I made some progress on getting a solid start to building my indoor live steam 32mm gauge live steam and battery railway. I retrieved my unsold Mamod train set from the shop where I had it on consignment. I also picked up a proper TARDIS and an evil Dalek as whats a layout without the TARDIS appearing somewhere and the good Doctor keeping us all safe/ They are metal kits that you assemble, no soldering or screws needed. I now need to get a couple turnouts and some more straight track. The engine shed was ment for O scale trains, but if I modify the door way from two to one big opening, the Mamod will fit perfectly. Engine is a SL1, ran decent the last time I fired her up several months ago using Sterno. Also looking for one of the better Meths burner. I do not have much train income during the winter months, so if anybody has a good used Meths burner, that would be awsome. I am wanting to take a couple of the old Mamod passenger cars and turn them into special Autism Awareness cars like I did in 45mm gauge with my LGB car. If anybody has one or two of those in usable but needing a respray condition for a keen price, please also let me know! Enjoy the two pics, more to come! Mike the Aspie.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:40 pm

I gave the old SL1 a test steaming on blocks, ran as smooth she did several months ago. With all the talk of crank pins coming loose, I think I will bring my loctite 603 home from work on Monday and wick it into the pin/wheel interface on the back side of each drive wheel. Starting from cold, it takes most of the first load of Sterno just getting up to steam. So its gonna take 2 loads of Sterno for each boiler load of water till I can get a meths burner. Mike

JCSteam
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by JCSteam » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:45 pm

Looking forward to updates on the railway Mike :D
Jon

Have fun steaming
Now put the kettle on....sit back and browse my webpage  http://fwpl.webs.com/

Paul H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul H » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 am

Mike,
While you have the Loctite out, also get the wheel/axle press fit. This is where I've had problems and you could save some frustration that way.

Cheers,
Paul

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:34 pm

The twists and turns in ones quest to build a railway. I sold the set to help finance the purchase of my Merlin Mayflower, then the unexpected sale of one of my garden tractors(I collect those to) financed the purchase of another Merlin, this time a Major from Simon over at Anything Narrow Gauge and.....a black Mamod off ebay today. I will be going with 45mm gauge and converting the Mamod to that as every railway here in the states is 45mm gauge thanks to the LGB influence. I will keep my 32mm gauge stuff as my long range plan includes retracking my garden railway with Peco SM32 track. So the Mamod flame stays lighted here, along with two venerable Merlins in the stable. Mike