New Mamod with internally gas fired boiler

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
mikewakefielduk@btinterne
Fireman
Fireman

New Mamod with internally gas fired boiler

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm told the development work on the new internally gas fired Mamod is progressing well. The burner and boiler are just about complete and the first smoke box has been sent away for 3D printing (the production smoke boxes will, of course, be cast).

I've seen some drawings of the loco body with rough dimensions. Its going to be quite large, not much different from a Roundhouse Lady Anne. The cylinders too will be larger than the existing ones fitted to the Telford.

Wheel layout is still being considered. The drawings I saw showed it as a 2-4-0 although personally I feel a 0-4-2 might be better.

Body style? That hasn't been decided. As the loco is internally gas fired there's no real restriction, so whatever looks best and isn't too complicated to manufacture. I personally favour a saddle tank but that's just me, the drawings I saw showed side tanks.  Send your ideas to Mamod for consideration.

Price? No idea, although personally I think £500 - £600 would be right for the market, but that's just my guess based on what the current Telford and Brunel sell for.

Date? Mamod are aiming for this summer.

I'll update this thread when I hear more.

wyvern
New User
New User

Post by wyvern » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:39 am

I am afraid I can see it doing very well if they are to directly compete with roundhouse with their bertie / millie models.

On a different subject, does any one know how well the telfords have been selling?

Guy

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:17 pm

I don't know how it will sell as it doesn't exist yet and we don't know the price, but as this will be Mamod's top-of-the range model I expect quite a few collectors will buy it as well as garden rail enthusiasts.

As for direct competition between it and the Bertie/Millie I think a lot depends on what comes included in the price. If it has a water level gauge and pressure gauge I think it will hold its own.

re. sales of the Telford, I asked Mamod the very same question just before Christmas and was told its selling well but isn't as popular as the Brunel. Mind you, if you search on YouTube there's only about 4 videos, and 2 of those are from me. It makes me think a lot of the purchasers so far have been collectors rather than users. This may all change of course when Tag Gorton gets his "how to pimp your Telford" (my phrase, not his) article out in Garden Rail.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:19 pm

I've just been sent a photo of the smoke box for the internally gas fired loco:

The smoke box door is designed to open to aid lighting but unlike Accucraft, its not hinged. Instead it is held into place with a bayonet fit. I personally remain to be convinced on this one.

I'm told the boiler is also just about ready.

Still to be tackled are the 14mm diameter cylinders.

Mamod intend to have a pre-production model ready for late summer/early autumn.

I've asked them to send me some pictures by email rather than MMS. When they do I'll post them here if they haven't already appeared on  Mamod's website

KNO3
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by KNO3 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:15 am

That's a nicely detaild smoke box. A big improvement to the looks of their current locomotives.

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:24 am

I saw the prototype at Peterborough and was very impressed at the build of the chassis and boiler. This looks like a real contender.

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:23 pm

I understand the price of the new loco will be £600

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:22 pm

For that price and level of detail they should really take the stupid Mamod logo off the smoke box door and have proper builder plates.
Cheers, Steve

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:07 pm

Agreed. The name on the smoke box would put me off too if I were in the market for a loco of that spec.

Ian

pippindoo
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pippindoo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:13 pm

At £600 its not much under a Ragleth! I remember selling the original Mamod Train sets at Beatties for £69.99! Happy days!

laurence703
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:41 pm

pippindoo:118416 wrote:At £600 its not much under a Ragleth! I remember selling the original Mamod Train sets at Beatties for £69.99! Happy days!
My Dad was manager of the Milton Keynes store... was a great toy shop.

If they're attempting a loco for the more serious end then it has to be two things... it needs to look right and not have company names in places where they are unsightly.
No one expects the SPANISH ACQUISITION!!!

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:57 pm

If they're attempting a loco for the more serious end then it has to be two things... it needs to look right and not have company names in places where they are unsightly.
Three things: as above plus it has to work properly

Crayfish
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Crayfish » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:16 am

pippindoo:118416 wrote:At £600 its not much under a Ragleth! I remember selling the original Mamod Train sets at Beatties for £69.99! Happy days!
I agree, I think Mamod have lost their path and need to decide if they want to create higher priced scale models or inexpensive and simple engineering models. I'd consider buying one or the other but not an expensive model with toy like features.

I've had my Mamod SL2 for 35 years, it came from Beatties in Peterborough and was a Christmas present when I was ten. Wonderful little locos, many burnt fingertips :)

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:43 am

Does anyone know if this is proposed to have reversing gear or be a slip eccentric? If its a slip at £600 then its as much as a Roundhouse or Accucraft as a Bertie which is slip is £609 and a Ragleth which is full reverser gear and easily made full 2 channel RC is only £695.

The price could well be a non starter I feel here unless you have any Mamod enthusiasts who are willing to pay whatever it costs to have one??

As for the smoke box door having Mamod on it, I sure it is easily ground off and repainted if need be.
Last edited by -steves- on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Fireman
Fireman

Post by mikewakefielduk@btinterne » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:06 am

Slip eccentric

Killian Keane
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman