I neglected to take any photos once it arrived but I set about stripping it down and cleaning it up. I replaced the gaskets and resprayed the body, boiler and chimney. I went for matt black BBQ paint and vw indigo blue for the body.
I think the first phase of restoration went relatively well however while it ran quite nicely on the blocks, performance was lacking on the track. I ran out of time to work on it so it's been sitting on a shelf for the last few months. Inspired by the progress I've made with the MSS loco recently this old Mamod has found it's way back on to my kitchen table.
Since the last time it was on the blocks I've fitted a dream steam dead leg lubricator & regulator, Roy Wood Models reverser block, water top up valve and a gas burner. The body work has been resprayed (again!) after cutting out a notch for the regulator and I've fitted a brass handrail to the side panels. I've also lapped the port faces + cylinders.
Annoyingly while putting everything back together this afternoon I can't for the life of me get the sight glass to seal! I'm hoping a fresh O ring which should arrive later in the week will do the trick!
Steam up video to follow once the boiler stops leaking..
* standard wheels and pistons
* RWM reverser
* Dream steam regulator, dead leg lubricator, high pressure safety valve & water top up valve
* Bix gas burner from Forest Classics
* Replacement MSS boiler
The paint job isn't perfect but for my first 'rescue' project I'm pretty happy with out it's turned out.
Here is a video I shot in slow-mo on my iPhone.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests