MSS side tank engin with meths fuel

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
edmondbe
Cleaner
Cleaner

MSS side tank engin with meths fuel

Post by edmondbe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi Can anyone help me. I have just converted my MSS side tank loco to meths fuel. It did put not work very well o the solid fuel, so I also added an upgraded safety valve to 24psi. She works well on wooden blocks free wheeling, there dose not seem to be any steam leaks or water leaks.However when I place here on the tracks she only has enough steam pressure to go about three foot of track and will only do that with the regulator leaver on full forward, she won't go at all with the lever less that full. Yet when she is on the blocks free wheeling she will go forward and reverse and slow, but as soon as you put a load on she looses strength.

If I could see a steam leak, then I would be able to sort it, but can't see one and there is no water leaking ether. Has anyone had this sort of thing before. Its got me baffled. Can anyone help?

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: MSS side tank engin with meths fuel

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Hello,

I had similar problems with my MSS loco, there are some suggestions in this thread. https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13056

The performance even after numerous upgrades is still not great, I might strip it down again and try cleaning out the boiler.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:47 am

Good luck.. I did the same, didn't get very far :(

That's not to say that you can't get it running well, but my is similar, runs ok on very flat with little to no load. Anything else it just won't cut it.

Going to look at getting something 'proper' this year :)

edmondbe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by edmondbe » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Thanks for you reply. I am waiting for a replacement safety valve and might get a rolling road to see if I can spot the trouble.

edmondbe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by edmondbe » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:17 pm

Thanks for your reply>Please let me know if you are able to fix you little MSS engine.

Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:35 am

I would check the wheel profile. If they are MSS, for a period of time, they produced some that were very poor quality and are not correctly profiled. Therefore they may be out of gauge. If the flanges look particularly square then the wheels may be the culprits. It doesn't take much to make these engines poor runners so do check your wheels.

You can get MSS loco's that run perfectly well - this is using a gas burner but that's the only upgrade https://youtu.be/qK8HU3glNWM

edmondbe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by edmondbe » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks for your reply. I have just purchased a set of rolling roads. I never thought about the wheels I will check them. I have another set and will check one against the other. Thanks again for your advise.

edmondbe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by edmondbe » Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:51 am

Good pictures as well .