Mamod SL2 / SL3 Refurb/Restoration

A very popular starting point for Live Steam. With their low cost comes a number of problems which can be discussed here
WWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Mamod SL2 / SL3 Refurb/Restoration

Post by WWLR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:59 pm

It’s been a (very) long time since the little Mamod made an appearance on the workbench. Other projects have taken priority but one result of lock down has been extra time spent crossing things off the ‘to do’ list and now I can get back to the interesting stuff!
Rather than working with the original boiler I have treated the patient to a new standard version which along with the new safety valve, sight glass and piston/cylinders assemblies bought some time ago gives me all the bits I need for a running locomotive. I use the term ‘running’ in the loosest possible way.

I’m giving serious consideration to going with a 7/8ths scale narrow gauge on the SM-32 track that I have so I’m investigating the 18” narrow gauge look starting with an extended chimney and basic spectacle plate with no cab roof.

I hope to post some pictures shortly.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:16 am

Welcome back! I remember lurking this thread years ago, when I briefly owned an MSS. Soon gave up on mine and sold it on. Just went back to the start of the thread and re-read the story thus far. Certainly looking forward to hearing more, as and when.. A 7/8ths conversion would make a particularly interesting model.

Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

WWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by WWLR » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Hi Aaron

Thanks for the comment.

I managed an hour or so working on the loco at the weekend. The new boiler needs its sight glass and back plate installed so I thought it might be a good idea to make a Goodall valve so that I can cold pressure test with just water before trying under steam. I've turned up the valve from 1/4 brass bolt and have an odd bit of normal rubber tube for the cold test but need some silicone stuff for a hot one.

One of the reasons for going with 7/8ths is that the chairperson of the home planning authority has an extensive property portfolio in 1/12th spread around the house so I recon I might get a few 1:13.7 items past the approval stage for use in the garden ! Also I'll be scratch building most of the rolling stock so I'm not relying on the availability of kits or ready to roll items.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:30 am

I like your thinking. :thumbright:
Funnily enough, I also use a few dolls' house items ('24th scale stuff) in my own work. Certainly a lot of odd detailing parts available, to be adapted to 7/8ths modelling.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

WWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by WWLR » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 am

Tried a cold pressure test with the new boiler filled to the top with water and my adapted garden spray bottle. No leaks from the sight glass so the next test will be under steam.
Attachments
pressure_test.jpg
pressure_test.jpg (203.23 KiB) Viewed 8871 times
pressure_test_adapter.jpg
pressure_test_adapter.jpg (192.88 KiB) Viewed 8871 times

WWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by WWLR » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:07 pm

To bring things up to date I finally got the locomotive running on a loop of track in the garden. Initially there were issues with steam leaks which were resolved by lapping the steam valve faces and fitting a stronger spring. Next task is to sort out a lubricator and improve the speed control with either a steam valve or exhaust throttle.
first-steamup1.jpg
first-steamup1.jpg (172.75 KiB) Viewed 4841 times

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:34 am

Good to see it running, and looking forward to seeing it at the head of a train. Love the 7/8ths extensions so far.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

WWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by WWLR » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:38 pm

steam-turret2.jpg
steam-turret2.jpg (145.89 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
steam-turret.jpg
steam-turret.jpg (124.97 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
Progress update – taming the beast!

I decided to make a steam turret to go in the rearmost boiler ferrule to provide 4 connections. An extended connection to the cab regulator, a top mounting for the whistle and two side connections, one for a pressure gauge(when funds allow) and the other one for the water filler. It’s a banjo style connection sealed with two ‘o’ rings.

Next task is to route the regulator output pipe via a lubricator to the front control block.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:59 am

Very nice and neat machine work there.
Grant.