Coal bins

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Coal bins

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Just putting the finishing touches to some coal bins at Beeston market station.

As you can see from this photo - I still have to complete the coal yard and the station approach in the background.

A quickie question. I'm sure, in my days as a 00 modeller, these were often referred to as coal staithes - and yet I'm now beginning to wonder if a staithe is really where coal was loaded into ships .... What is your understanding of this term??

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Round here, Suffolk and Norfolk, a place with 'staithe' in the name tends to be a place where boats and barges can load and unload cargo.
According to Concise Oxford Dictionary this is the case in the north and east of England.
However, if I were to hear a reference to a 'coal staithe' I would have in my mind the sort of thing you've made a brilliant model of.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks Andy
It was a recent visit to Norfolk that got me thinking about what exactly a 'staithe' was. Up until now I've always referred to these 'bin' things as staithes - and then I saw a photo online which referred to them as bins - hence my moment of doubt.

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Rik,

They are absolutely beautiful. I had to do a treble take on the second photo to convince myself it was a model not a 12" to the foot prototype!

Regarding the term, I've always known them as coal staithes too. If a staithe is somewhere where loads are transferred from one means of transport to another it all makes sense. That may be road or rail to ship, but can equally be rail to road! I've a feeling I've seen sectional appendix entries, or rather Local Instructions entries, referring to staithes.

Great work Rik, all the better for being clearly built to suit the vehicles in use on the railway. well done.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Soar Valley Light:111615 wrote:Rik,

They are absolutely beautiful. I had to do a treble take on the second photo to convince myself it was a model not a 12" to the foot prototype!

Regarding the term, I've always known them as coal staithes too. If a staithe is somewhere where loads are transferred from one means of transport to another it all makes sense. That may be road or rail to ship, but can equally be rail to road! I've a feeling I've seen sectional appendix entries, or rather Local Instructions entries, referring to staithes.

Great work Rik, all the better for being clearly built to suit the vehicles in use on the railway. well done.

All the best,

Andrew
Thanks Andrew.
I'm glad you liked the second photo. I am particularly pleased with the way this turned out which is one reason I featured it. More by luck than judgement, I'm afraid.

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:53 pm

Absolutely superb....... I am in the process of building a coal yard too but I have no doubt the end result will not come up to the standard of yours.
Just brilliantly realistic and well used appearance.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:35 pm

Peter Butler:111619 wrote:Absolutely superb.......  I am in the process of building a coal yard too but I have no doubt the end result will not come up to the standard of yours.
Just brilliantly realistic and well used appearance.
Wow, thanks Peter.
I have little doubt your coal yard will be great. I expect I'll be pinching some of your ideas to finish off my yard - eg your coal merchant's office. That'what's so good about this forum, we can share experiences and ideas.

Rik
------------------------

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:58 pm

That is certainly a scene to try and emulate. How have you achieved the walls? I assume it is real wood. However you've done it they do look blooming good.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:10 pm

bazzer42:111632 wrote:That is certainly a scene to try and emulate. How have you achieved the walls? I assume it is real wood. However you've done it they do look blooming good.
I've just written up how I did it on my blog. I ran out of stripwood half way through but I had a store of balsa so used that. Hopefully, it will last just as long now it's been toughened up with hardener.

http://riksrailway.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... e-bin.html

Rik
------------------------