Concrete buildings at good prices

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Keith N.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Concrete buildings at good prices

Post by Keith N. » Sat May 30, 2015 5:14 pm

I discovered, with a bit of detective work, that many of the 17 concrete buildings I have already were made by a company called Whelan’s in Sheerness on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent.

Last Saturday I went, via the bullet train from St Pancras and Sittingbourne, to Sheerness to see if I could find them and I did. Amazing!

They have lots of different building all about the right size and the prices range from £8 for the chip shop to £15 for the castle which is the most expensive item they had. What a saving. I have been paying between £40 and £65 for them at a local garden centre. I actually think they are more detailed than the old Tuxcraft buildings. There is a church, pub, cottage, bridge, antique shop, oust house, school, vets and stables and although some are a touch smaller than 16mm they all look fine when painted and in the garden.

Anyway on bank holiday Monday I returned in the car. It’s really easy to get to and as we left at 7am there was no traffic on the M25. Whelan’s is open from 9 – 5, 7 days a week. We bought five things and it came to £56 in all. If you are ever in Kent it is well worth a visit. Certainly a lot easier than making them yourself and probably cheaper than the materials too. They paint up well with acrylics and I have spayed all mine with exterior varnish to make them last longer.

They are very helpful and they have trollies or will help you to the car with heavy items. Here’s their link if you need it: http://www.whelansgardenornaments.com/ they have loads of other concrete ornaments for the garden and there is a garden centre right opposite too so you can take the wife I am sure she’d love it too!
. ____            
 [  _] |_ n__[]
 | |     Earl    ])
«[--@==@=@-]»

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat May 30, 2015 5:44 pm

Keith,
I just had a look at the website and they do have an amazing range of stuff at unbelievable prices!
Unfortunately there don't seem to be any pictures of their buildings, do you think you could post some pictures of yours, please?
Philip

Keith N.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Pictures of my Whelan's concrete buildings

Post by Keith N. » Sun May 31, 2015 6:48 pm

philipy:111235 wrote:Keith,
I just had a look at the website and they do have an amazing range of stuff at unbelievable prices!
Unfortunately there don't seem to be any pictures of their buildings, do you think you could post some pictures of  yours, please?
Hi, Here are some pictures of my concrete buildings as requested:

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm

What a shame its so far away.
Regards Graham.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun May 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks Keith, they do look quite good for the money, I agree.
Philip

Keith N.
Cleaner
Cleaner

More builddings!

Post by Keith N. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 am

A few more Whelan buildings. I know the pagoda may not suit every ones garden railway but it has added some colour and a point of interest. The village hall was actually a pub - The New Inn but it make quite a passable village hall I think. I haven't painted the bridge. I am just waiting for the weather to do it for me. Incidentally the bridge was £10 and the pagoda and pub were £12 each unpainted of course.

Village Hall - formally The New Inn

Pagoda - looks great painted up in red and gold

The bridge unpainted - left for the weather to do its stuff!
. ____            
 [  _] |_ n__[]
 | |     Earl    ])
«[--@==@=@-]»