Watermill and Railcar

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
philipy

Watermill and Railcar

Post by philipy » Thu May 21, 2015 1:40 pm

A couple of weeks back we popped over to World of Water for some new pond plants. In their water features section was a solar powered water mill which my good lady wife immediately fell in love with and decided we had to have! It's a little bit under size for 16mm, I think, but looks fine tucked away in the bottom corner of the garden with nothing else nearby to give a comparison, and she paid so who am I to argue?

The Locomotive Dept recently acquired a 2nd Hand Faller railcar which after a few repairs, fitting R/C, and a repaint, has now entered service.
Seen here in the photo, passing the watermill.

Philip

Joe
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Joe » Thu May 21, 2015 2:13 pm

That looks very nice and not to out of scale especially as its not right at the edge of the track
Steam is highly under rated

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu May 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Both watermill and railcar look great to me!

I must dig out my other Faller railcar and give it a coat of green - I notice that Swift Sixteen have produced a "speed whiskers" stencil which would look fantastic...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu May 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Looks very nice, I can't see a problem with the scale, after all how big is a watermill?

daveyrd11
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by daveyrd11 » Thu May 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Both look really good, do you know if the water mill is available online? I tried to find it but failed :(
Put that light out!

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu May 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Very atmospheric.

I picked up one of the B & M solar powered lighthouse's for when I ever get around to building my garden, followed by the garden railway!

Chris Cairns

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 22, 2015 7:35 am

Andrew:111020 wrote: I must dig out my other Faller railcar and give it a coat of green - I notice that Swift Sixteen have produced a "speed whiskers" stencil which would look fantastic...

Andrew,
I considered doing exactly that, but 2 things stopped me:
1 The Swift16 model is much wider than the Faller, so you'd end up trying to trim the transfer both sides and I'm not sure the cut down version would look right if the taper is altered.
2) There is a moulded chevron/whisker on the front of the Faller which is easy to fill with yellow paint, but if you tried to put the trnasfer below it, I'm not sure if the angle is the same, so agin it might look odd.

Just my reasoning, which could be adrift.
Philip

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 22, 2015 8:09 am

daveyrd11:111023 wrote:Both look really good, do you know if the water mill is available online? I tried to find it but failed :(
I've just had a look at the W-o-W website and I can't see it. Unfortunately I can't remember who the manufacturer was either. I know it was a British company because I was surprised, but thats all I'm afraid, and the packaging has long gone. Sorry.

Edited to add, I've just looked on ebay and there are several:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... l&_sacat=0
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 22, 2015 9:00 am

philipy:111036 wrote:
Andrew:111020 wrote: I must dig out my other Faller railcar and give it a coat of green - I notice that Swift Sixteen have produced a "speed whiskers" stencil which would look fantastic...

Andrew,
I considered doing exactly that, but 2 things stopped me:
1 The Swift16 model is much wider than the Faller, so you'd end up trying to trim the transfer both sides and I'm not sure the cut down version would look right if the taper is altered.
2) There is a moulded chevron/whisker on the front of the Faller which is easy to fill with yellow paint, but if you tried to put the trnasfer below it, I'm not sure if the angle is the same, so agin it might look odd.

Just my reasoning, which could be adrift.
Ah, hadn't thought about the width... Yes, might be better to make my own stencil, which shouldn't be too tricky these days 'cos I'm getting on reasonably well with CAD so should be able to create something that way...

The moulded line I had thought about - I was planning to remove it from the front and then use microstrip to replace it in a straight line below the windscreen. I did that to continue the lining across the doors (looks like you did too?) and it worked pretty well. Might need to move some lights too. That would leave the area free for whiskers...

All theoretical at the mo' because that project's a long way down the "to do" list, although that list is hardly set in stone...

Cheers,

Andrew.