A yacht and jetty

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

A yacht and jetty

Post by andymctractor » Sat May 09, 2015 11:41 pm

I bought a wooden sail boat from a junk shop that was in a bit of a state but cheap enough.  I stripped it varnished and painted it and re rigged it based on photos rather than any experience of sailing boats.
I built a jetty made from a scrap piece of UPVC soffit shaped to fit between two rocks near Bramley Bank station on our Crowfoot Light Railway.  Bollards are 4mm/ft buffers.
Out of sight in the photo at the top of the mast is the other half of the tackle. It is possible to remove the sail lashings and run up the sail using the tackle but this won't be done normally. :shock:
Note my 'water' is represented by slate chippings rather than real water.

It wouldn't pass muster from an experienced sailing person but it will be out on display at our forthcoming 16mm Ass open day on 17th May.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:40 am

It is pretty good, actually. To convince most of the sailing types she just needs a stay from the gunwale to about 2/3rds of the way up the mast to make it look as though it has something to hold it upright. Otherwise very convincing.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:14 am

The jetty looks fantastic too - how did you create that effect?

Cheers,
Andrew.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:24 am

IrishPeter:111435 wrote:To convince most of the sailing types she just needs a stay from the gunwale to about 2/3rds of the way up the mast to make it look as though it has something to hold it upright
However, if you know your Arthur Ransome (as in "Swallows and Amazons"), you will know that "Swallow" never had any stays to her mast!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Andrew:111436 wrote:The jetty looks fantastic too - how did you create that effect?
It's made from an offcut of UPVC soffit. Next time your neighbours have their bargeboards done or get re roofed then have a shufty in their skip, with permission of course. The planking was scribed into the surface using an Olfa cutter. These cutters remove a v shaped groove out of the material rather than just cutting into the surface. Squires and other suppliers sell these. A dot punch was used to mark the nail or screw heads. Once the edges of the jetty were cut to fit the rocks it was all given a good wash with soft soap and when dry was given a couple of good coats of grey acrylic primer. Then it was weathered and dirtied up and tapped into place.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:48 pm

IrishPeter:111435 wrote:To convince most of the sailing types she just needs a stay from the gunwale to about 2/3rds of the way up the mast to make it look as though it has something to hold it upright.
Thanks Peter, I might put some stays on it but this will have to wait now till the boat needs some general maintenance.
Regards
Andy McMahon

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 pm

andymctractor:111441 wrote: Once the edges of the jetty were cut to fit the rocks it was all given a good wash with soft soap and when dry was given a couple of good coats of grey acrylic primer.  Then it was weathered and dirtied up and tapped into place.  

Hope this helps.
Excellent, thank you! It's the getting UPVC to look like well-weathered wood that I was really impressed with - although the whole scene looks great.

Cheers,

Andrew.

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Andrew:111444 wrote:Excellent, thank you! It's the getting UPVC to look like well-weathered wood that I was really impressed with - although the whole scene looks great.
There is another photo of the scene on the Stations page of my website. Look at the photo of Bramley Bank Station
http://crowfootlightrailway.webs.com/stations
Also my latest YouTube video has a brief glimps at 5.55
https://youtu.be/UcicgOSWKII

Hope it works
Regards
Andy McMahon

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Re: A yacht and jetty

Post by Keith S » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:54 pm

andymctractor:110733 wrote: It wouldn't pass muster from an experienced sailing person but it will be out on display at our forthcoming 16mm Ass open day on 17th May.
I'm an experienced sailing person and I think it looks very nice.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:15 am

andymctractor:111465 wrote:
Andrew:111444 wrote:Excellent, thank you! It's the getting UPVC to look like well-weathered wood that I was really impressed with - although the whole scene looks great.
There is another photo of the scene on the Stations page of my website.  Look at the photo of Bramley Bank Station
http://crowfootlightrailway.webs.com/stations
Also my latest YouTube video has a brief glimpse at 5.55
https://youtu.be/UcicgOSWKII

Hope it works
First time I've caught up with your railway in its entirety, Andy. Great layout, especially the way you've arranged the station and its sidings, and there are some really nice scenic touches.

The boat makes a great addition.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm

A bit more work done, though not yet finished.

I used some of the 1:20 pit crew figures by Tamiya, gave them navy hats and painted them as RN sailors in Action Working Dress or No. 8s as we used to call them.  The assumption here is that they are a group of matelots from HMS Crowfoot undergoing some sail training.   :shock:
TAG will never forgive me. :oops:
I'm not a great fan of frozen action scenes but I've made an exception to this rule to be able to use these Tamiya models.

The PO taking the photos is devoid of a camera.
The Chief noting progress has no clip board.
Non of the matelots have branch or rate badges.
All are too shiney and waiting for matt varnish.

These matters are pending.
Last edited by andymctractor on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Andy McMahon

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:34 pm

A couple more photos.
as far as I am aware a sailing boat wouldn't have it's sails fully lashed and stowed whilst it was free from the jetty so it could be this crew has failed it's assessment.
This is to show the jetty's proximity to Bramley Bank Station.
Last edited by andymctractor on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Andy McMahon

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Tamiya provide a number of racing car pit stop accessories along with the figures.
Here I've used some of them to equip my AA patrolman. Some of the stuff wouldn't be carried by a patrolmen but until I make a scene to use them in this will have to do.

Regards
Andy McMahon