The Natural Weathering of Paint on Plastic

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
FBGR
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

The Natural Weathering of Paint on Plastic

Post by FBGR » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:20 pm

When I presented the large Plastikard warehouse building on the FBGR I hinted that we shall have to wait and see what the weather will do to the paintwork, well it has been two years now, so it is time for a little comparison.

First a little background.  The original topic is here - http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/abou ... 5936908099 .  Humbrol paint was used throughout.  I took special care when painting to be sure that the paint was always freshly stirred up, and that it had plenty of time to dry between coats.  The building faces South, and gets the sun most of the day, most of the year, although there is a nearby bean tree that provides a little shade at the height of summer.  The FBGR is less that a mile from the sea, and sometimes with the wind from the South West you can taste the salt in the air.  The building has not been moved or protected at any time.

Now for a few before / after pics:-
WasNow Bldg LH a.jpg
WasNow Bldg LH a.jpg (288.53 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
WasNow Bldg Mdl a.jpg
WasNow Bldg Mdl a.jpg (258.88 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
WasNow Bldg RH a.jpg
WasNow Bldg RH a.jpg (305.53 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Everything seems to have faded, especially the reds and greens.  Some of the detailed weathering has washed off.  Generally not too bad though.

What cannot be seen on the pics is the grey roof slates and paving around the building where has paint has started to flake off.

A couple of short lengths of the guttering has come off, this is probably from mechanical damage (the bean tree leaves have a heavy stalk when they fall), but the small contact areas for the gutter brackets made them vulnerable anyway.

I am not planning any repainting at the moment, but may try and refix the bits of gutter that fell off.

JOhn
Last edited by FBGR on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The world's going to end very soon --- so I'd better try to get something finished by then

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:48 pm

Thats an interesting comparison, thanks.
Its still as fantastic a model as it was 2 years ago. Personally i'd just replace the bits that have fallen off and leave the paint alone. Touch up the paint and it will be obvious which bits have been done and which havent. I actually think the doors have improved with age, although the blue bricks have got bit pale, admitedly.
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:22 pm

I agree with Philip that the doors look even better. The engineering bricks could be touched if you were patient and you obviously are to build this in the first place.
thanks for posting again it's an inspirational model.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Still looks brilliant - and a bit weathered. Fix the gutter with a new bit and let that bit look new like a replacement piece. That is what would happen in reality.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:57 am

That has weathered rather nicely.
Don't forget on 12'': 1' stuff has to be replaced after a while. So you will get a well weathered building with bright and shiny new bits on it.
My garage is nicely covered in moss and algae, and the paint is pealing off the door. The newly replaced barge boards stick out like the proverbial sore thumb!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!