The developing scenery of the ANLR

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
SillyBilly
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by SillyBilly » Sun May 24, 2009 11:46 pm

Midgely you should know that it's a RiverEsk point :evil: .

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Sun May 24, 2009 11:53 pm

sorry :oops:
Ian of the SLR(N)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Mon May 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Tut tut Midge, i'm afraid you will have to be stripped of that point for mis-indentifying it :lol:
Anyway to debunglyfy and de-rivereskify this topic, heres a pic of the new border on the upper loop a few months after planting

As you can see, most of them are quite established, however the middle conifer is rather a funny colour, and appears to have died :( This is despite the plant 2 to the right is the same plant species, planted at exactly the same time :? I have also planted a hebe in towards the back, behind the first conifer on the left.
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:35 pm

Been a while since an update to this, but recently dad has decided to improve the one really shockingly bad area of the ANLR (scenecally), and so has been putting down concrete and suprising me every time I go out there (which isn't often at the moment :( )

As you can see, he has built a road which crosses the railway, and an area of concrete. This will have a couple of buildings on it, chiefly a model of a typical Welsh chapel which he has been working on. There may also be a house or 2 if there is room. The soil patches will have a couple of plants, although there will have like living in shady areas because this most certainly is one. The level crossing will have 4 gates (that will open and close allegdly), and is based on a certain manually operated one on the Ffestiniog Railway that Will knows quite well...

The level crossing gates. Not sure when dad will have this little project finished but hopefully it won't be too long, and hopefully it will be a massive improvement on what was there before, I might even start using the location for some of my videos
"What the hell is that?"

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by mhlr » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Good job you have a dad who does interesting jobs on the railway like that! :lol: Sounds good!

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:04 am

seconded!
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:53 pm

If he has some spare time my railway could do with a visit too. :D

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Wow, long time since I've had cause to update this, but dad has decided to work on another unloved corner of the garden. This is a small triangle of grass by the upper terminus next to the back fence. With the upper station of Nant Llywyd being close by, this is an obvious spot for a station building. Dad was about to start on a model of Beddgelert in the 1920's/30's, however this was vetoed by me, on the basis that the railway archtecture has enough Welsh Highland features. Instead, I challenged him to make a model of the Duffws terminus of the Ffestiniog Railway (the one that still exists in a car park) Dad complained a bit, did some rough sketches and came up with this...

I was more then a bit suprised by the size, I thought it was a small building! :roll: Anyway, I like it very much, and should look great at Nant Llywyd. Its only waited 3 years for a station building...
"What the hell is that?"

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Huwwah :D 8)

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:08 pm

looks very good, I've wanted to build a model of this for a while now but decided against it as i have no use for it. It's a very attractive building

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 pm

taliesin001:58473 wrote: It's a very attractive building
I quite agree, seeing it come together I'm rather glad that I managed to change dads mind about the model to build. Not that the WHR tin stations arn't attractive, but the victorians did know what they were doing
"What the hell is that?"

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Construction method?
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Plywood shell, with plastic sheeting glued on top. My buildings normally live indoors and get put out for steamups, dad hasn't exactly cracked building wetherproof buildings yet
"What the hell is that?"

SLRmidge
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SLRmidge » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:37 pm

Very nice. The goods shed your dad made is still standing & its out in all weathers...... :D
Ian of the SLR(N)

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:46 pm

SLRmidge:58485 wrote:Very nice. The goods shed your dad made is still standing & its out in all weathers...... :D
Probably entirely covered with Moss ! lol

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Dad can rarely stand idle for too long (having said that.... :lol: ) and today the nearly complete building was put down in the garden for the first time, on its newly constructed base
There was just grass there an hour or two beforehand when I had been running Gwydion. I go inside to tidy the stock away and give Gwydion the full attentions of a rag and some brasso and this is what was there when I came back out :shock:
"What the hell is that?"

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Lookin Good :D

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Just like Aladin rubbing the magic lantern (meths burner?) and making a wish - laalratty polishes the loco and a new station appears on his line........... right, where's that Brasso and curly toed shoes??? :lol:

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Is your Dad a member of the forum he should be he has many talents..as for the incline they were steep affairs probably 60 degrees this is where the physics lie. Slate wagons travelled at a rate of 40mph! The inclination plus the mass of the load will govern the speed of the drum and is the reason they had brakes fitted. So its not the placement of the drum house or the height above the rails its the inclination..many accidents occurred on gravity inclines so they didnt run reliably as you may think..thats why power was applied when cost could afford.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Well university has rather killed off all of my spare time for running trains, hence it took until setting up for my steamup yesterday for Duffws to appear outside in all its glory for the first time
The building still isn't quite finished, there is the minor matter of two Roundhouse gas lamp kits, these come with grain of wheat bulbs and so this will become the ANLR's first lit building, on the outside at least
"What the hell is that?"