The developing scenery of the ANLR

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Dad can rarely stand idle for too long (having said that.... :lol: ) and today the nearly complete building was put down in the garden for the first time, on its newly constructed base
There was just grass there an hour or two beforehand when I had been running Gwydion. I go inside to tidy the stock away and give Gwydion the full attentions of a rag and some brasso and this is what was there when I came back out :shock:
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

LMS-Jools
Driver
Driver

Post by LMS-Jools » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:13 pm

Lookin Good :D

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Just like Aladin rubbing the magic lantern (meths burner?) and making a wish - laalratty polishes the loco and a new station appears on his line........... right, where's that Brasso and curly toed shoes??? :lol:

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Is your Dad a member of the forum he should be he has many talents..as for the incline they were steep affairs probably 60 degrees this is where the physics lie. Slate wagons travelled at a rate of 40mph! The inclination plus the mass of the load will govern the speed of the drum and is the reason they had brakes fitted. So its not the placement of the drum house or the height above the rails its the inclination..many accidents occurred on gravity inclines so they didnt run reliably as you may think..thats why power was applied when cost could afford.

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Well university has rather killed off all of my spare time for running trains, hence it took until setting up for my steamup yesterday for Duffws to appear outside in all its glory for the first time
The building still isn't quite finished, there is the minor matter of two Roundhouse gas lamp kits, these come with grain of wheat bulbs and so this will become the ANLR's first lit building, on the outside at least
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

TheChestnutLine
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by TheChestnutLine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:14 pm

Superb. Great craftmanship.
James

kandnwlr
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by kandnwlr » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:50 am

laalratty:13269 wrote:Following a request for more pics of the incline, today I gave in and dragged the camera out into the cold, along with the winding house and six slate waggons and took this lot.
Loaded waggons waiting to decend
The weight of the loaded waggons pulls the empties back up (although it didn't work so well today for some reason)
The loadeds can now be taken to the coast at Afonglas (well they could if the incline was connected to the rest of the railway!!!)
And finally...
To celebrate the new year, some of the local members came round for a little afternoon steam up.
And as LMSjools brought his Lady Anne, to finish the afternoon off we just had to doublehead them :D

Glad that you showed us some pics of the incline. I was wondering how it would look like! Andrew of the Kent & North Wales Light Railway