First Building

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:43 pm

MDLR:78408 wrote:Nice! A bit too "new looking" for my taste - a VERY thin wash of some black paint (on the basis that you can always add more) would help.
Funny thats what my wife just said when I proudly showed her my almost complete construction. No worries there I have some Tamiya weathering powders ready for when I finish. Roof still needs painting as does the brick work.

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:38 am

May I suggest you install a typical light railway platform:

Install edging a suitable distance from the rail - I favour some sort of stripwood well lathered in preservative - with the top 8mm above rail. Back fill with some sort of spoil - my favourite is decomposed granite as that is the local rock, and whack with a 2x4 until you have it suffciently patted down.

An alternative is concrete edging slabs, which are usually cheap enough from the local Big Tin Hardware Shed.

Whatever you do remember that full height platforms are a little rare in full size NG circles.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:02 am

IrishPeter:78428 wrote:
Whatever you do remember that full height platforms are a little rare in full size NG circles.

Peter in AZ
Platform coming soon, once I decide height and style - what height would you chaps suggest??

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:00 pm

tegfan railway:78433 wrote:Platform coming soon, once I decide height and style - what height would you chaps suggest??
No higher than rail level - then you never have clearance problems!
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Not more than 6 scale inches or 8mm above rail level, which is high enough to give your 16mm people a boost onto the bottom step, but low enough that it hopefully does not catch the foot boards of any visiting vehicles.

I do not know about you, but I always use my largest vehicle to test clearences. The Calthrop Coach that I built is 678mm over the headstocks and 128mm wide over the steps, so it is the vehicle used for checking if things clear.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

tegfan railway
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by tegfan railway » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:13 pm

Finished the exterior with a bit of weathering (I might paint the window sills brown???) Just going to paint the inside cream and fix benches etc to floor. Onto platforms now, I am thinking of using some mosaic stone tiles as edging then back fill dyed mortar or maybe waterproof floor grout - anybody used this before????

PS I know that platform/halt is next to a point but passenger trains will only be heading round the bend, quarry traffic will only use the left hand spur.