The right Buildings

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

The right Buildings

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:09 am

When I first started my railway it was just to run the trains but as its developed then buildings have been added. The first was of course a station followed by a signal box then a scenic castle (major scale change but its far away) then a half relief crossing keepers cottage followed by a crossing and then another station.

All fairly mundane and look ok to me but then when I step out of my it's my railway bubble. I realise that I have got narrow gauge pretending its main line. For instance the signal box has no signals to control and is there only because railways need signal boxes (don't they?) when of course a lot of narrow gauge just changes their own points on a hand lever and signals are for big trains.

What I'm trying to say is it you consider what the feel of your railway is before you add un-needed buildings buildings just because they are railway related.

On saying that I like my signal box so it's staying even if I can't justify its existence.

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:18 pm

To answer your last point first: does your crossing keeper need somewhere to rest when he's not doing the crossing? Mrs Crossing Keeper would appreciate getting Mr Crossing Keeper getting out from under her feet!

Otherwise, you need to think about the "back story" for your railway and decide from that what buildings would go where. When I was building the MDLR, the fact that Over Haddon village sits up above the railway which runs up the valley of the River Lathkil meant that the village happily sat above the level of the railway: see http://www.mdlr.co.uk/village.html for more words and pictures.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:15 pm

I know what you mean we have a signal box but no signals but at least we have some points there! So I agree you do need to have a place to make the tea while waiting for the next train! I think we also tended to make/purchase a building because we liked it not necessarily because it had a place to go! I have a hankering for a church but actually I can't find a reason or a place to put it. :?

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:29 pm

Mrs F Controller:63003 wrote:I have a hankering for a church but actually I can't find a reason or a place to put it.  :?
Not true - the MPLR certainly has a tight-knit and thriving community (you even had a recent wedding! ;) ), so I'm sure that the 16mm population would benefit from some "spiritual guidance"! :D
Now as for where you're going to locate it......................... :roll:

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:38 pm

But a signal box can always be justified for a system that intended to have signalling but ran short of money. You still could have a signalman but only issuing tokens from that point as authority to proceed through the next section or even as just controlling local points without signals. I plan to have them (just one so far), for the simple fact that I like them. ;)
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Pendo Pilot:63020 wrote:But a signal box can always be justified for a system that intended to have signalling but ran short of money. You still could have a signalman but only issuing tokens from that point as authority to proceed through the next section or even as just controlling local points without signals. I plan to have them (just one so far), for the simple fact that I like them.  ;)
Well put! As for the community of the MPLR needing 'spiritual guidance' perhaps a pub might be a better idea! LOL :occasion5:

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:40 pm

I tend to be on the other end when it comes to buildings - too few and too small.  I am currently trying to convince myself that Skebawn, as the terminus, needs a decent sized brick or stone station building rather than one of my usual small wooden numbers.  

Current building plans for the S&CLR&T are:

Station building - memo to self - this needs to be quite large!
Platform
Goods platform
Goods shed
Loco-shed and workshop
Carriage shed

Various huts... then start on the town.

Protestant (C of I) Church
Pub
Catholic Chapel
Etc.

Peter in AZ
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.