16mm scale figures

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
bluewater1150
Cleaner
Cleaner

16mm scale figures

Post by bluewater1150 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:56 pm

I've been looking for a firm(s) that sell scale figures in 16mm.
I've come across references to Jons' People - but can't find any contact info on them. Also know of a characture characters firm, but have witnessed their v.poor customer relations first hand.
Are there any others that members have experience of, that are worth looking at?

Thanks
Elliot
Northumberland

Steven.T
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Steven.T » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:01 pm

I recently bought an un-painted guy in overalls from Model Town as a driver for my diesel, the casting had a bit of flash on it, but I expected this and filed them down a touch, and I've given it a quick splash of paint and to be honest, with my naff painting skills, it will be alright for what I want :)

They are fairly cheap and it was here within a few days :D

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 pm

I like the figures from Jons - Wilberforce's driver is from them, very nicely made and painted. I wasn't expecting to find it easy to locate a figure that would fit on a Millie with a topup system, but we found one that was just so (and they were very helpful).

2 Station Cottages, Lamport, Northants, NN6 9HA
01604 686694
john dot hibberd2 at btinternet dot com

They had an A5 flier at Stoneleigh, perhaps worth asking if they can email you a copy. My driver was £8.99.

I think different people just prefer different styles of figures - some like the caricatures, some prefer a more lifelike style. You pays your money and makes your choice - I prefer the latter, others take the opposite view - and fair enough.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:35 am

hussra:54933 wrote:I like the figures from Jons - Wilberforce's driver is from them, very nicely made and painted.
Here he is in cruel close-up:

Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:27 am

I make my figures out of fimo mostly. I bought 9 figures for a christmas pressy to my self from model town.
These figures look as if they have been starved when compared to my home made figures and the faces look very cherub like. I bought some miliput and have been slowly DVLRifying the figures to make them more chunkey and to make the faces look better so they fit in. All in all it actually takes me about the same amount of time than it does to make one out of fimo. They were good though for inspiration for more characters for the up coming DVLR chronicals series...
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 pm

I use a mixture of Modeltown figures and some 'adapted' poseable figures which used to be Gerry Andersons Space Precinct figures.  They are great for PW men but you do have to be a bit handy with the old craft knife and paint.  They do mix quite well together though.  I've also made a few figures with Fimo or Sculpy if I need them specifically for something.  Here's a pic with a few Space Precinct figures and the 'vicar' on the right is Modeltown so are the kids...

The trouble with the poseable ones are that there are only 2 characters so you have to be a bit inventive with the faces!! We have quite a mix really as just realised that most of our original drivers were from PPS Models and are white metal

clive_t
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by clive_t » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:22 pm

I make my own from hacking up unpainted Preiser figures. It's a lot of fun for not a huge amount of outlay, and what you end up with is the pose you want, and is guaranteed to be unique!

It's almost a hobby in itself for me these days...

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/figuresculpt.htm

http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/whoswho.htm
Cheers

Clive

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:04 pm

I want to populate my railway on the cheap what is the best method of making figures that are weather proof?

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:35 pm

fimo, bit fiddly but very enjoyable and rewarding...
(to build)

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:24 pm

Sir Clothem Cap:58501 wrote:I want to populate my railway on the cheap what is the best method of making figures that are weather proof?
Depends what you mean by weatherproof? Are you thinking of leaving them out then? Haven't they got any homes to go to?? Fimo or Sculpy is very rewarding but you do have to decide on either being 'lifelikeish' or 'cartoonish' with the faces, which means that you have to be a bit arty. Also not sure how well either of the materials would stand up to being left outside, I picked up my poseable figures quite cheaply on ebay and then adapted them to whatever I wanted and being plastic they will not rot, melt or fall apart(not for a while anyway). Actually I quite enjoy making the figures as they seem to take ona character of their own including the Fimo ones! If you are going down that road then make an aluminium foil armature first to get you basic shape and 'pose', also saves on Fimo!

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:12 pm

I use ModelTown figures, they look great painted up (badly by me) and some of them have been outside 3 years and have now only begin to lose their paint.
Which I expected to happen much earlier to my early figures because I didnt clean or prime them I just slapped some paint on them and stuck them outside.
A steam propelled life-style.

Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Aluminium foil armature? Surly you'd loose some of the strength of the structure?
(to build)

Mrs F Controller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Mrs F Controller » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Aluminium foil armature? Surly you'd loose some of the strength of the structure?

No don't think you do.  I saw it ages ago on some website for someone making figures for 'gaming' thing???  The foil starts off about a foot long strip which you make 3 cuts from the bottom the middle cut only goes about half way up and the other two either side of it goes almost to about 3/4 of the length.  then you twist and bunch up to you end up with a basic human figure about the right dimensions to what you want the legs and arms will be far too long but you just cut them to length!  that way you can form the feet.  Then you start putting on your fimo /sculpy gradually laying it up and firing in between.  So you can get your figure into its pose, it will stay there in that pose while you can do really fine detail stuff without it going too soft to work on you.  I have been thinking of putting this on the 'how we did it page' on the website but I don't like my faces too much.Image this is a piccie of one of the very first figures I've done. ;)

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 pm

I recently purchased two figures from brandbright. They are essentially the same with different heads. The arms can be positioned wherever therefore making it possible to pose the figure in a position that you need it, rather than finding something that the figure is the right height to lean against for example (if that makes sense). I found them very good and they have been put to work on the earl!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:45 pm

I have been collecting different figures for a while. Resently I found to Schleich figures that really had to move to the Øvj.
Imageπ
Bringing that pig on the train suspends him from riding inside!
Imageπ
This is a bad angle, but I like to show both the new figures. The little girl is also a Schleich figure. The foodseller (Hamburger) is maybe LGB?
He is glued up on a peace of wood to be a bit more 1:19 ;)
My Lady Anne has also been equipped with a driver, but the camera refused suddenly to take closeups, so I have no pictures of him.
The population is now 9 small persons on different places.
Have a nice summer, I´m going for a small vacation now to Sweden ( I know a threefoot museum railway there, but I´m not shure if I can manage to get me and the family there :?)
Regards from Michael

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Nice! :D

Though some people hate figures on model railways, I think they're great - especially for photograhs where the action is 'frozen'.
It's suprising just how many you'll end up collecting over time, the "Truffle Hound" approach to turning up suitable models is quite addictive! ;)

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:23 pm

I wanted to populate my railway on the cheap (as always for anyone who knows me) and so brought a whole load of playmobil people from ebay. scale wise they are a little small but I do like a busy station.

If you think the killer bunny is bad you should see my real ones when they have a go at them. :D

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I have also tried Fimo, but really didn´t got the right feeling working with it. It ended up with one figure that is really ugly on this close up, but he does the job from a three foot distance. I´m not going to try again, but does any one knows a better, more willing material to model figures in?
Imageπ
I have found an other mr.Schleich, really an sheepherd, but I cut down his big hat and removed his long stick. I like the size and the look of the Schleich figures,
Imageπ
Here is by the way the driver in my Lady Anne, that I mentioned earlier. He comes from ebay.
Imageπ

benchmark
Fireman
Fireman

Post by benchmark » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:09 pm

St.Michael:73104 wrote: Here is by the way the driver in my Lady Anne, that I mentioned earlier. He comes from ebay.
Who sells them on ebay?

St.Michael
Fireman
Fireman

Post by St.Michael » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:09 pm

A random seller in the Uk. It´s an used item. All my 16mm.stuff that I buy on ebay comes from ebay.co.uk. Very often the seller writes "English buyers only" so I contact them and ask if I (who lives in Norway) can bid on the items, and normally that´s no problem ;)