Model Town Signal Box

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Model Town Signal Box

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:40 pm

for ages I'v been meaning to finish this. I have added a back 2 bay 6 interior detail kit, handrail, fire bucket and a 'call forward' board ( the TR use something similar to call the train forward when the box isn't occupied)

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:57 pm

Looks very smart! Does the roof come off so you can see the interior? ot seems such a shame to add all that detail and not be able to see it...............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Tom
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Very Nice  :D  :lol: ,

that 'call forward' board looks like the ones you have on st****rd gauge lines for tunnels and bridges expect they're red, was it you have a set on one of your bridges?
Cheers Tom

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:30 pm

yes, I have limited clearance boards on a bridge, as I have seen them used on the WHR.

taliesin001
Driver
Driver

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:30 pm

superb, very nice!

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:15 pm

A view of the interior of the box, new signal man Paul Leavers settling in to his new box.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 am

Sir haydn:48626 wrote: new signal man Paul Leavers....
Groan!! :D :D :D
At least it's not a big box so you won't have Roger the boxlad in there! :roll:

Lovely box by the way.
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:18 am

I do have another box for the other side of the garden though. we already have a signal man for that one. A certain Mr Del Code :lol:

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:43 am

Ace job Matt, and I'm lovin' the detailing kit! (Oh no! something else to add to the "Must Have Item" list :roll: )

And just a point of reference, as Matt's already pointed out, the red & white cheque board means "Limited Clearance" (there's no place of safety from passing trains) and the blue & white chequer board means "No Refuges", where tunnels, cuttings or other linear obstacles have no built in places of safety (refuges).
Ah memories 8)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:56 am

But how about red & white chequer mini sign with a yellow dot in the middle Greg?

(Oh & to be pedantic, blue & white also states that "however refuges maybe available the other side of the line"...  :roll:  ;)

Matt, Just noticed that he has no chair!! If 11 years of signalling taught me anything it is that "All" signalboxes have a chair that when combined with parts from desk/lever frame/token holders slot together to make a decent bed for the night shift (or morning shift when sleep was lacking!).
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:06 pm

Ahh, He will have to make do without one, he understands the finacial state of the world and has his feet fiirmly fixed on the ground. Besides hes not flexable enough to work long hours so it shouldn't be a problem.

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:34 pm

He won't be popular with the union then!! ;)

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:56 am

Here's the Brynglas sighting board, before the Block Post got trimmed to improve visibility of the crossing:
and some more distant shots of the ones at Quarry Siding:

The idea of these boards is just to provide a nice clear background to wave the flags against - makes them much easier for the loco crews to spot. (That and the great big flags.)

More of these photos at http://richardhuss2.dreamhosters.com/virtualtour
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Sir haydn
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir haydn » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:52 am

Ahh thanks Richard. That makes sense now. I have an early piccy of Brynglas with a chequed board, may replace for the strip now. i will have to search out the book i found it in as it calls the board a call forward board :?

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 am

Can't remember how the Brynglas board is painted now, it has probably changed over time. (Actually, just found this photo from last autumn.) There's no particular significance to how it's painted, anyway, the idea is just to provide something that can easily be spotted from half way up Bryn Erwest bank.

The General Appendix calls 'em sighting boards but I can see how it might get called a call forward board, as it's where the Blockman gives the flag signal to call the train forward past the stop board.
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

METHSSNIFFER
Driver
Driver

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:39 am

Where can you get flat bottomed pinned rail like that.