Semi-scale BR: bridge upgrade

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Semi-scale BR: bridge upgrade

Post by BertieB » Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-8.gif
ezgif.com-video-to-gif-8.gif (14.31 MiB) Viewed 5910 times
I'm not too hot at infrastructure and scenery – but I was pleased with it. And it's good fun doing the GIFs

Rural Dorset appears to be running very smokey locomotives or suffering shocking levels of industrial pollution. And not repainting bridges often enough. I got a bit carried away.

Shamelessly ripped-off from Sylvian Tennant’s Aug 2020 original, it’s built from foamboard, to replace a shabby bit of wooden track support that vaguely resembled a bridge and that has now completely rotted and fallen apart.

Mr T’s original was nicely detailed with appropriately sited rivets. I got out my little Nail Art bags, did the sums and put them away again: 840 rivets — I don’t think so! (It can be welded instead).

philipy

Re: Semi-scale BR: bridge upgrade

Post by philipy » Tue May 04, 2021 6:11 pm

Looks good to me. Who counts rivets anyway??
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 04, 2021 9:09 pm

A very nice job, I'd say.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue May 04, 2021 9:35 pm

BertieB wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm
I'm not too hot at infrastructure and scenery – but I was pleased with it. And it's good fun doing the GIFs[/b][/size]

Rural Dorset appears to be running very smokey locomotives or suffering shocking levels of industrial pollution. And not repainting bridges often enough. I got a bit carried away.

Shamelessly ripped-off from Sylvian Tennant’s Aug 2020 original, it’s built from foamboard, to replace a shabby bit of wooden track support that vaguely resembled a bridge and that has now completely rotted and fallen apart.

Mr T’s original was nicely detailed with appropriately sited rivets. I got out my little Nail Art bags, did the sums and put them away again: 840 rivets — I don’t think so! (It can be welded instead).
You must be the first rivet counter who hasn't added them :lol: :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed May 05, 2021 8:01 am

Rivet detail is always nice, but soon as you move any distance away they disappear from sight, and blend, a lot of effort, for your satisfaction. A little CBA and like you I would give it a miss, it looks great as it is :)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 am

Very realistic representation to my eye - even without the rivets..
Intrigued by the use of an animated gif.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed May 05, 2021 11:56 am

Thanks for the feedback, as always. And drollery.

I missed a trick here: I should have titled the post ‘Rivet Counting’.

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 am "...Intrigued by the use of an animated gif"
I hope they can be fun! I believe it was said earlier in the year, with regard to securing the future of the forum, that it wasn’t the size of files uploaded that would be a limiting factor but the number.

I thought perhaps an engaging, animated GIF could usefully substitute for a few static pix – and there are online resources that will convert a short video clip. But even pared right down as this is (short, lo-res, low frame rate) it'll still use up more server space than, say, six typical JPEGs or PNGs.

If I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, of course, I’ll stop doing it (and go with combining multiple static images into one uploadable file).

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 05, 2021 1:10 pm

BertieB wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:56 am
ge_rik wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 am "...Intrigued by the use of an animated gif"
I hope they can be fun! I believe it was said earlier in the year, with regard to securing the future of the forum, that it wasn’t the size of files uploaded that would be a limiting factor but the number.

I thought perhaps an engaging, animated GIF could usefully substitute for a few static pix – and there are online resources that will convert a short video clip. But even pared right down as this is (short, lo-res, low frame rate) it'll still use up more server space than, say, six typical JPEGs or PNGs.

If I’ve got the wrong end of the stick, of course, I’ll stop doing it (and go with combining multiple static images into one uploadable file).
Sounds like an interesting solution. As you say, the restriction is on the number of files (250,000) - not the size - and so if this is a way of showing something in more detail through a single file upload - eg a 180 degree panning shot -then it could be another way of postponing that day when we have to start culling photos.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed May 05, 2021 7:25 pm

Of course, simply posting a video to Youtube and linking it here, solves both problems. Nothing hosted to our forum account and the clip can be as long, and show as much detail, as you want.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri May 07, 2021 12:02 pm

That looks very good indeed - I'm sure it will feature prominently in forthcoming films!

Like the GIF too - I think I might need to look into that myself...

Andrew.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:58 pm

I've been busy adding rivets to my new rolling stock - it's for want of a better word tantamount to the lower levels of purgatory.

The weird irony is the real bridge I based mine on was was actually welded so god only know what inclined me to add them.

Absolutely beautiful model my friend. It properly brought a smile to my face when I saw it on a video on your YouTube channel.