Refurbishing resin buildings

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
MMorg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Refurbishing resin buildings

Post by MMorg » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,
Many years ago we purchased some 'Lineside Delights' buildings. I've always put them away in the winter to protect them from the worst of the weather.
The paintwork (several coats of acrylic with clear matt lacquer) has now become decidedly tatty and flaking in places so I thought I would refurbish them.
The problem is removing the paint. I've tried ordinary 'nitromors' in areas that cannot be seen but after washing with water it leaves a sticky residue. I've also tried old fashioned 'Dettol' the orange type and scrubbing with a hard brush. I've also tried a fairly hard wire brush on the stone surface.
Does anyone have any other suggestions. I know from past experience that if I just remove the flaking paint and repaint it will start to detach almost immediately.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Refurbishing resin buildings

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:06 pm

Is it the paint/lacquer or the resin which is becoming sticky? Perhaps a scrubbing without chemical additives might be sufficient to prepare the surface?
Once you have repainted your structure with acrylic paint I would leave it at that, don't varnish the surface at all as it will eventually crack and allow moisture inside which will not be able to escape.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:57 pm

Like Peter, I wondered if the stickyness was the chemical attacking the resin, Nitromors is pretty vicious.
My feeling is that if scrubbing won't take it off in some area's then I'd tend to leave it alone and simply overspray with Halfords plastic primer and then repaint with good quality modellers acrylics.
Philip

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:48 pm

Do not use Nitromoors on quick cure resins, either polyester or polyurethane, you will dissolve it. Medium for removing paint is dependent on what type it is. Problem with a building is that it is a bit big to immerse in anything. If you can dismantle it safely then do so. Sodium hydroxide based cleaners used to be a good standby for use with plastics to remove enamel and acrylic paints. Problem is that most over the counter products, like oven cleaners, that used be formulated with it, have now removed it.

Modelstrip was a paste like product that was formulated with sodium hydroxide. Phoenix Precision paints do a liquid variant, but it could prove costly. I sometimes use brake/clutch fluid, to remove automotive paint finishes (useless on matt enamels for some reason) but it can attack some resins if left applied/immersed for too long, making it rubber like.

Personally when I have refurbished old outdoor living resin buildings I use a suede brush to remove any loose flaking paint, clean in an oil free detergent, then over spray with a primer that is compatible with the base paint. Then just finish with acrylic paints to choice and reseal with a decent dull acrylic varnish. I have old Pendlbury, GRS BoB, and T&M resin buildings that have all responded well to that treatment. I try to keep my buildings out of full sun positions and like you bring them in out of season.

MMorg
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by MMorg » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:57 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses.
After trying nitromors on a hidden area I then resorted to old fashioned Dettol that we have used previously on old resin wagons.
Most of the paint lifted after a day or so (and a lot of scrubbing with a fine wire brush) and I was able to wash the surface clean with water although both myself and the surrounding area smelt like the inside of a hospital afterwards!
I'm now in the process of repairing and repainting the buildings although trying to get hold of the correct Decoart paint at the moment is tricky. Obviously at the moment the art and craft shops are closed and the leading online retailers are sold out.
At least we're moving in the right direction...
Thanks again

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Possibly a little late, but did you use only water to wash the Nitromors off? They recommend soap and water. Also White spirit should neutralise the paint stripper. If you still have a tacky surface, maybe try using that to stop any further softening?
However, they do strongly recommend not using it on plastic objects :shock:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077