Scratch built buildings and applying textures to foamex

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Howie617
Cleaner
Cleaner

Scratch built buildings and applying textures to foamex

Post by Howie617 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:09 pm

So having seen a large number of members making some truly amazing creations out of the wonder material foamex I started the mind running and thinking about the possibilities for my slowly forming railway. Brick built structures seem viable using the score techniques, but not really that in keeping with the local architectural styles for which the Westmorland light Railway is set. So I started to look at the possibility of slate textures, there are the plastic textured sheets which are not particularly cheap and then I found some stencils options.

https://www.craft-products.com/dolls-house-exterior.php

The finish produced it pretty stunning, with the stencil being available in many scales including 1/19 scale and re-usable and similar in price to a sheet of moulded plastic in some cases.

Has anyone had any experience using similar. The realistic brick compounds they should be used with don't strike me as weatherproof in the slightest, maybe a good coat of varnish at the end might keep the moisture out and they would have to come in for winter storage.

I wonder what other medium could be used, there is mention of use on air dry clay but I have no idea how well that may last in weather.

Using them as painting stencils for use with airbrushed acrylics would also work nicely but would lack the depth.

With out trying to reinvent the wheel, have people used similar in the past. How di it go.

If not I might have to have an experiment.

philipy

Re: Scratch built buildings and applying textures to foamex

Post by philipy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:16 pm

I've seen that site before but have no direct experience of their product.
However, scribing stone courses into foamex ( etc) is dead easy and you get exactly what you want not what a dolls house supplier thinks you want.
The texture finish can be worked up using a number of products, from DIY by mixing very fine sand into emulsion paint, via Sandtex masonry paint in huge tins, to a product called "Miniature Stone Coating" available from E.M.A. Model Supplies but only in a limited range of colours.

However I would recommend you look at a company called "Stonelux" ( https://www.stonelux.co.uk/samples.html ) who do a wide range of textured finishes in a wide range of colours and, best of all they do 150ml sample pots for just over 6 quid. I have used about half a sample pot of their smooth texture paint to do 3 coats each on 3 walls measuring approx 600 x 500mm each. It's intended for outdoor use on full size gateposts etc, so is fully weatherproof.
This is a portion of one of those 3 walls, I realise that it isn't your Westmoreland finish but gives an idea of what can be achieved without too much effort.
stonework.jpg
stonework.jpg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 9671 times
Philip

Howie617
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Howie617 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:55 pm

That does look good. I might have to try the textured paint with the use of a stencil. My brain works well with structured elements so I could sit happy and scribe bricks. But I have no artistic streak so randomising stone would be a nightmare.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm also a recently new convert to Foamex.
Take a look at what Rik's achieved with his brewery, and also check out Stephen Atkinson's YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcYG3O ... -eXnjtej2Q
Not just the build videos (reminiscent of watching Bob Ross painting) but also some of the running videos where you get to see the complete street scenes that he has created (I reckon he must have his Foamex delivered by the lorry load).

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Howie617 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:09 pm

https://www.craft-products.com/dolls-house-exterior.php

The finish produced it pretty stunning, with the stencil being available in many scales including 1/19 scale and re-usable and similar in price to a sheet of moulded plastic in some cases.

Has anyone had any experience using similar. The realistic brick compounds they should be used with don't strike me as weatherproof in the slightest, maybe a good coat of varnish at the end might keep the moisture out and they would have to come in for winter storage.

I wonder what other medium could be used, there is mention of use on air dry clay but I have no idea how well that may last in weather.
I have the stone effect stencil which I have used on several structures, although none of which are used outdoors, and I doubt it would stand up to even light rain!
The powder is mixed with water alone and would not be weather resistant unless you could perhaps add a water resistant binder. I doubt a varnish coat would help as it invariably cracks and lets moisture in.

Air clay is another material I wouldn't use outdoors as it would absorb moisture. It would require a waterproof bonding agent to make it stick to your structure and again, varnish wouldn't seal it completely as all materials would expand and contract at different rates allowing moisture to penetrate.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:05 am

If you look at the pictures of the front of my Lower Bench station in my Inspectors report from last week, you can see a foamex building, with scribed stonework and textured using the E.M.A. product I mentioned above. This building has been outside permanently since April 2018, so almost exactly 2 years of continuous summer and winter weather. The surface shows no signs of peeling, or other weathering apart from accumulating some surface grime, which adds to the appearance IMO.
file.jpg
file.jpg (187.2 KiB) Viewed 9618 times
Philip

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:07 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:27 pm I'm also a recently new convert to Foamex.
Take a look at what Rik's achieved with his brewery, and also check out Stephen Atkinson's YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcYG3O ... -eXnjtej2Q
Not just the build videos (reminiscent of watching Bob Ross painting) but also some of the running videos where you get to see the complete street scenes that he has created (I reckon he must have his Foamex delivered by the lorry load).
Thanks for the share, just watched quite a few of Stephen's Youtube videos, inspiring!

Howie617
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Howie617 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Thanks Peter that confirmed my concerns.

Philipy that does look really good. Hopefully I can some thing like that will break out some scraps of foamex and have an experiment.

And SVLR I would have to concur with your views there. A few brews were had watching Stephen's videos. Not only does it give you something to aspire to. But like Riks blog gives a good starting point for a novice to start from.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 am

Hey Philip, really nice work on the building. I'm seriously tempted to get some 5mm and 3mm fomex from Amazon and try and building some simple as a first experiment.

What paint did you use? Which colour and finish? https://www.stonelux.co.uk/samples.html

I assume you used something to seal the roof? Some external clear varnish?

Cheers,

Scott

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:25 pm

sjrixon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 am Hey Philip, really nice work on the building. I'm seriously tempted to get some 5mm and 3mm fomex from Amazon and try
I'd recommend it - it's fun! Don't use the 3mm stuff without bracing it though - I've found it curls. The edges of my signal box roof have done that a little, and my lever frame (built on a 3mm foamboard base) went banana-shaped - it won't be a problem because I'll be glueing it down...

Cheers,

Andrew.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Was thinking 3mm for Windows and doors. 5mm for walls.

I've ordered some! Let's go!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:43 pm

sjrixon wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:46 pm I've ordered some! Let's go!
Loving the enthusiasm!

5mm for walls should work just fine - works well with Jackson Miniatures windows too, which are about that thick and so can be made to push fit neatly into window apertures. They're pretty cheap but very nice.

I need to get some more board myself, I've got another station building to make...

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:12 pm

Don't Jacksons have a cracking little collection of things! Need to keep an eye out of 1/24th dolls house style stuff too!

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Hi Scott,
I agree with Andrew, don't use the 3mm stuff for the building shell although it can be useful for adding detail, although I wouldn't try it for windows. Much better to use styrene srrips if you can't buy what you want from Jacksons or whoever.

As for the paint coating I've used, things seem to have changed around the suppliers. When I did the station building some 2 years ago, I bought a 250ml pot of "Miniature Stone Coating - Yellow limestone" from EMA, as I said, but I've just checked and EMA don't seem to have anything other than the primer/basecoat now. However, the label small print on my pot says "Charles Products patent applied for" and if you Google "Miniature Stone Coating " There is a link to Charles Products and if you click on that it takes you to Stonelux!

So, after all that, the station building is Yellow Limestone with some assorted browns and grey acrylic's washed over once it's dry. The small section of wall I showed above is Stonelux Colour Sample Pot ( 150ml) 'Magna - Smooth finish', again with some colour washes added subsequently. That is the third from the left on the sample pot colour swatch page.

I don't think all of the colours are available in all of the colours and finishes, although I did find their site a bit confusing so I may have missed things. I have to say I made a bit of a mistake with the 'smooth' finish and wished I had gone for a bit more texture.

No, I didn't need to seal the roof, it is strips of 15thou plasticard glued to a solid sheet HIPS under layer, so is completely impervious.

Hope this helps, don't be afraid to ask if anything isn't clear.
Philip

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 pm

Careful what you order.
Foamex is a brand name and their sheet is two layers of PVC sheet sandwiching a relatively high density foam core. It's really solid and totally weather proof, it's sold for creating exterior signage.
There are lots of variations of foamboard available which tend to be glossy card with an expanded polystyrene core, just cut a piece and put it in a bowl of water to see how long it will last outside.

I buy mine from here https://www.simplyplastics.com/catalog/ ... /c-24/c-88 and it works out a little over £20 a square metre.

I'm sure the cheaper stuff can be made weather proof, but the I know Stephen has had his buildings outside all year round, some of them for three years.

Also I paint them using various masonry paint match-pots, just using acrylics for window frames, doors, gutters, etc.
Shed1.JPG
Shed1.JPG (73.27 KiB) Viewed 9446 times

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 pm Careful what you order.
Foamex is a brand name and their sheet is two layers of PVC sheet sandwiching a relatively high density foam core. It's really solid and totally weather proof, it's sold for creating exterior signage.
Foamex is actually PVC foam that has been compressed, during this process the outer surface change into a skin but it is actually one material not a composite like foam board, hence its much better weather resistance. Be warned do not laser cut as it gives off really bad fumes (trust me I tried) it does vac-form and line bend well also.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:45 pm

SVLR wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:35 pm
BorisSpencer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 pm Careful what you order.
Foamex is actually PVC foam that has been compressed, during this process the outer surface change into a skin but it is actually one material not a composite like foam board, hence its much better weather resistance. Be warned do not laser cut as it gives off really bad fumes (trust me I tried) it does vac-form and line bend well also.
That makes sense.

I also found out at the weekend that it cuts really nicely on a band saw, I need some long straight pieces with perfectly square edges for my next project so thought I'd give it a try.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:04 am

Thanks for all the help and the very confusing paint story :) I think I'll figure that out, slowly.

So I can guaranty I've bought some cheap 'not foamex' prodcut for my first foray into 16mm buildings. But, I don't plan on leaving them outside (yet), means I've somethink I can plan and play with and then maybe order some more expensive real stuff for my next project!

Howie617
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Howie617 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:11 pm

Well I bit the bullet, I bought some doors and windows from Jackson Miniatures, well a fair few (plenty of other building planned). I tagged on one of there "Llanvi" signal box kits as a easier starting place (already neatly cut out) I also went mad and bought a couple of stencils to help my lack of artistic flair.

So having bought lots of news bit it was time to start yet another project. I wanted to prove my concept and look for the railway
20200423_153155.jpg
20200423_153155.jpg (134.13 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
20200423_153204.jpg
20200423_153204.jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 8912 times
So far rather happy with the rough slate look, needs weathering down and stones picking out in differing colours and shades. Trying to take a little architectural lead from what was actually built for the Windermere to Kendal railway. The window colour was a can of spray paint I had got to experiment with coach colours, looks more plum in the sunlight. Think it may also be a keeper.

Howie617
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Howie617 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:13 pm

should have said, I have not gone for the premix stone material, I used a bit of gray primer and the stencil to set my pattern then had at it with the scriber, very therapeutic.