A bit of landscaping

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

A bit of landscaping

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:15 pm

I don't know about you, but for me one of the joys of garden railwaying is terraforming and landscaping. Now my railway is quite well established I don't often get the opportunity but since building the workshop, I decided it was time I sorted out the uneven trackbed on the section of the line which runs behind it.

Because it wasn't on show, it was allowed to do more or less its own thing
IMG_9490.JPG
IMG_9490.JPG (128.88 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
'
The blocks had sunk a bit in the middle and so it was a bit of a switchback, despite the two ends being at the same height. So, the old trackbed was removed and a proper foundation of concrete and bricks was laid.
IMG_9502.JPG
IMG_9502.JPG (104.63 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
The blocks were then relaid followed by the track.
IMG_9509.JPG
IMG_9509.JPG (114.41 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
Because I cut back the tall hedge which shielded the old sheds, the junction which was formerly hidden has now become more visible, so I decided to landscape it.
IMG_9524.JPG
IMG_9524.JPG (129.62 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
IMG_9527.JPG
IMG_9527.JPG (131.94 KiB) Viewed 7367 times
I now have another short section on which photos and videos could be taken. The viewpoints are quite restricted as it's right up against the fence and if I take track level shots the house is very prominent. However, once it's been properly planted, I'm hoping it will add to the general atmosphere of the line.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: A bit of landscaping

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:38 pm

That looks good Rik, but in the wet and windy weather we're experiencing at the moment it wouldn't be possible here.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:12 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:38 pm That looks good Rik, but in the wet and windy weather we're experiencing at the moment it wouldn't be possible here.
I think we've got off quite lightly at this end of the Welsh / English border. It's been overcast, but not rained much for over a week. So, I thought I'd get a few garden jobs done.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:20 pm

I've now blogged wot I dun, giving a bit more detail about the way I create my trackbed, lay track, add ballast and then do the landscaping. I'm not saying mine is the only way of doing it, but I know I'm always interested in seeing how others go about these things.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... ehind.html

Rik
------------------------

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Very well described and illustrated Rik, once established that area will look beautiful.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:19 pm

That will be a great camera view when settled in Rik, with the added satisfaction of running the first train over a newly re-laid section of track.
Grant.

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am

Nice work as usual Rik, I never remember to photograph anything I do until I've almost finished.

Out of interest, how many times whilst squeezing between the fence and shed, did you regret not doing this before the workshop construction? :D

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:59 am

BorisSpencer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 am Out of interest, how many times whilst squeezing between the fence and shed, did you regret not doing this before the workshop construction? :D
From the moment I started lifting the track! :shock: :( :D Mind you, I did use the trackbed as a convenient step when building the workshop so I might have ended up undoing some of the work I'd already done.

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:18 pm

That's looking good Rik, you've really made the most of the opportunity.

I sometimes wonder whether I should go for a shorter line so I can focus more on getting each short stretch just right, creating little cameos etc and paying more attention to detail - you somehow seem to do it with a whole network, it's very impressive!

All the best,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:36 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:18 pm That's looking good Rik, you've really made the most of the opportunity.

I sometimes wonder whether I should go for a shorter line so I can focus more on getting each short stretch just right, creating little cameos etc and paying more attention to detail - you somehow seem to do it with a whole network, it's very impressive!

All the best,

Andrew.
That's very kind, Andrew, but not entirely accurate. After initially laying the track, I have now spent around fifteen years revisiting various sections and titivating them. I've been focusing on the station areas, firstly Beeston Market (the main terminus), then Peckforton, Beeston Castle last year. I have also spent a bit of time sorting out the flour mill and the viaduct near Peckforton, and the sand quarry at Bickerton. I still have to spend a bit more time and effort on Bulkeley and Bickerton Stations which require a fair bit of TLC, but neither really has the space or potential for a big upgrade. I did consider revamping the trackplan at Bulkeley to move the track further forward and then allow more space at the back for lineside industries (maybe a Boneworks similar to one which was in the area during the 1930s), but it would require quite a substantial bit of re-landscaping where the copper mine branch diverges. So, the jury's out at the moment on whether it will be a tweak or a major rebuild at Bulkeley.

So, give it time. Who knows what your line will look like in another thirteen years? There's no rush...... :?

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi Rik,

I know just what you mean about terraforming, it's very satisfying.

It's amazing how much the ground moves over time and repair jobs like this provide those rare opportunities to indulge the earthmoving urges!

It also gives the chance to create new and improved cameos. I love the view of the line going through that bridge, it really looks the part.

All the best,

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:17 am

Well Rik another great blog on an unused part of your garden, that I now suspect will gets lots of use.
Well done Rik, you do inspire me to do more on mine.