SVLR Scenery

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

SVLR Scenery

Post by SVLR » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:15 am

Image20190722_171511 by Jonathan Demery, on Flickr

This is a prototype signal box for my line, I have cut it from offcuts of 3mm MDF, the final version will be cut from 3mm WBP ply and painted. The design is loosely based on the GWR box at Bronwydd Arms on the Gwili railway (yes I know it's not narrow gauge but I like the building) Need to tweak the drawing a bit to recess the lower floor windows and allow space for window sills as per original. I hope to put some detail inside also, and some lighting. I plan to build a concrete plinth for it to sit on, that way I can bring the building in over winter etc and when not in use for long periods.

philipy

Re: SVLR Scenery

Post by philipy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:34 am

Wow, that is a seriously serious building. :D
Lovely job and once the details have been tweaked, it should look fantastic.
I presume you have access to a laser cutter to do all that?
I'm interested that you plan the final version to be in ply rather than mdf, I'd have thought the surface finish of mdf would be preferable to trying to lose the grain on ply?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:48 am

Beautiful bit of modelling. Must be great having access to a laser cutter.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:55 pm

It looks the part with the plants and positioning near the track.

The concrete base will finish it off well.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:01 am

Great looking signal box.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

I will have it on our layout please..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

SVLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SVLR » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:06 am

philipy wrote: ↑Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:34 am Wow, that is a seriously serious building. :D
Lovely job and once the details have been tweaked, it should look fantastic.
I presume you have access to a laser cutter to do all that?
I'm interested that you plan the final version to be in ply rather than mdf, I'd have thought the surface finish of mdf would be preferable to trying to lose the grain on ply?
I decided to use WBP primarily for its better wet-weather performance, MDF is a bit like Weetabix when it's wet it loses structural integrity (even with paint IMHO) I seal the ply with sanding sealer first, the grain is quite close so requires minimal work. A couple of coats with primer filler and then a top coat of car paint and possibly clear lacquer. I have laser cut a station-style house sign using the same technique and it's been up for 10 years and looks as good as new. I do keep meaning to try laser cutting waterproof MDF but tbh its more expensive than the WBP ply and more tricky to get hold of.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:13 pm

Lovely work on the Signal box.

I dont think there is any such thing as waterproof MDF only Water resistant. The problem is you can use a waterproof resin to bond it but the wood fibres will asborb water and swell then shrink again as it dries. True the same applies to ply but the ply fibres have not been chopped up so retain strengthI left a piece of ahuttering ply on the track it poured with rain for a couple of days afterwards and the 8ft length of ply bowed up 2ft in the middle. When it dried it flattened back down.

With wood exposed to weather you either have to let it expand and contract as it wants or keep it dry. A couple of coats of shellac or knotting before painting will help.

Don