White SRB

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
philipy

White SRB

Post by philipy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:22 am

I know we had all the discussions about SRB not drying/going white and didn't really come to any conclusions as to why Tom in particular seemed to have a problem.
Back in about mid-August I did some remedial ballasting and took the opportunity to ballast a bit more of a section of plain and more or less hidden track. No probs, in the heat of this past summer it all dried out in a few days and I forgot about it... until yesterday when I had occasion to go down the shed and just idly looked at the station on the way back. Nearly had heart failure because it looked more like Siberia than central England! All the SRB has gone white :shock: :scratch:

I'm not expecting any solution, just hoping it will dry out again once winter is over. Strangely enough, other areas which were previously SRB'd seem to be OK, although they are more sheltered so perhaps it is to do with the volume of water, we have had a fair bit of rain in the past few days.
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG (344.5 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG (347.51 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: White SRB

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Fear not..... it will dry out and become clear again when the weather improves. You might have put a lot on in one application so as it dries out it forms a skin on top and slows down the drying of the SBR underneath, particularly in hot conditions. I'm sure I have mentioned this somewhere before..... possibly on Tom's thread?
The surface of my village roadway and foundations are much the same too as we are experiencing heavy rainfall. I'm also getting a blue bloom on the surface although this will disappear too.
The ballast, which has been down for some years now, is still firm and clear.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: White SRB

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:29 pm

I still get white patches after heavy rain on the parts I did so been put off using it in future plus it makes the ballast I use all glossy.

Glad it works for you guys but it's not a solution for me so have gone back to manual maintenance of ballast.