Cows

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Cows

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 am

Just back from a week in sunny Dorset and Devon (visiting various NG railways). Whilst at Bicton Gardens, I browsed the shop and picked up a few cows (sorry about the imagery this might create). - - here's a couple, plus a figure to give an idea of scale.
IMG_8774.JPG
IMG_8774.JPG (102.26 KiB) Viewed 8779 times
As you can see from the price tag, £1.99 is a lot cheaper than the £11.80 I paid for similar Preiser figures. The quality is not quite as good as Preiser but perfectly adequate for bunging inside a cattle wagon or standing at the cattle dock. They are also considerably lighter than the Preiser figures, an advantage when using them for cattle wagons.

They are imported by KandyToys of Exeter. I've searched around on the web and the only other stockist I can find is on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/KandyToys-Cows ... B079349LW9 - but considerably more expensive.

Might be worthwhile keeping an eye open for them - or paying a visit to Bicton if you're in the area.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Cows

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 am

Good find Rik, they look perfectly adequate for our needs. Possibly Bicton Gardens would consider a postal delivery if the order quantity was sufficient?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_A_C » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:05 am

Blast! I was at Bicton earlier in the year. Being my usual frugal self, I never looked at what was in the shop for sale :( . Must keep a better eye out when out and about.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 am

I found a set of Kandy Toys frm animasl on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-BIG-Farm ... SwIxVZePxg

haven't been right through their listings yet so don't know if they sell individual animals
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:50 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:17 am I found a set of Kandy Toys frm animasl on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-BIG-Farm ... SwIxVZePxg

haven't been right through their listings yet so don't know if they sell individual animals
Looks like even better value - though the relative scale of the dog, sheep and pig are at odds with the cow. Be good if they did sell individual animals.

Rik
------------------------

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 am Good find Rik, they look perfectly adequate for our needs. Possibly Bicton Gardens would consider a postal delivery if the order quantity was sufficient?
Quite possible.

I did wonder whether to contact KandyToys directly. I found their website but to view their products you need a log-in. I might have considered setting one up if I was still running RC Trains.

Rik
------------------------

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:28 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 am They are imported by KandyToys of Exeter. I've searched around on the web and the only other stockist I can find is on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/KandyToys-Cows ... B079349LW9 - but considerably more expensive.
They seem to be from the same source as the farm animals Kmart sell here in Aust. The packaging shown on the Amazon link is much the same. The Kmart ones are cloned from figures in the Schleich range as far as we can tell.

They are available online from Kmart, but you don't get to choose what they send, so a trip to the nearest branch is advised.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/farm-c ... ted/840311

The other ones found on evilbay by Phillip are from a different source I think, as there is a noticeable seam around the body on the ones in the Ebay link, suggesting the bodies are moulded in two parts and may be hollow.

Regards,
Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:14 pm

If anyone fancies trying for a bulk order from anywhere, I could do with half a dozen.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 am

Went on the Kandytoys site myself….You need to have a minimum order of £2000… :sad11: There having a laugh.

Seen these on Amazon though….Don’t know if they would help, only thing is if you bought more then 2, they would be looking all the same way………..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AJNL380/ ... B00BHVMCOI

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm

If you place the livestock carefully, even though they are facing the same way, they can be made to look OK. My cattle dock has many of the same Schleich cows along with some from other suppliers, together no one would notice.
IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG (142.76 KiB) Viewed 8653 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:40 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm If you place the livestock carefully, even though they are facing the same way, they can be made to look OK.
It wouldn't be unusual for most of a herd of cattle to have their heads up and looking in the same direction. They have a lot of curiosity about what goes on around them and if something attracts the attention of one, they'll all look that way.

Are there cows in that field on your boundary? If so, I'd be surprised if you haven't looked up to see a row of them looking over the fence to see what you are up to.

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:36 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 am Went on the Kandytoys site myself….You need to have a minimum order of £2000… :sad11: There having a laugh.
I think I'll pass on that.
FWLR wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 am Seen these on Amazon though….Don’t know if they would help, only thing is if you bought more then 2, they would be looking all the same way………..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AJNL380/ ... B00BHVMCOI
That's good value for Schleich - especially as postage is free.

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Think I will get some then Rik.