(WH)WHR Buildings

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: (WH)WHR Buildings

Post by FWLR » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:31 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:29 am
FWLR wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:14 am Very nice Rob. Really looks the business :thumbright: :thumbright:
Hey, Gerald! I'm not Rob, I'm Andrew!

Glad you like it though, thanks! I'm hoping to crack on with painting today...
Soooo sorry Mike.

Seriously, really sorry Andrew, had a lapse in concentration :mrgreen: And I do think you have done a brill job... :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:38 pm

Evening all,

I finished the paint job on the tunnel mouth this afternoon, so it's now back out in the garden awaiting a little landscaping and planting to soften things a little:

Tunnel painted.jpg
Tunnel painted.jpg (355.43 KiB) Viewed 7212 times

On the whole I'm pleased with how it's turned out. Ideally I'd have had a bit more space to work with, the constraints of the site having restricted what I could do design-wise, but I managed to squeeze in some NWNGR features, and when the area's all planted up it should just become part of the landscape...

Cheers all,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:40 pm

Looks good Andrew.

Amazing what you can do in a lunch break while working from home ;)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:57 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:40 pm Amazing what you can do in a lunch break while working from home ;)
Plus the half hour each way I'd have spent walking there and back of course...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Hello!

With this weekend's warmer weather I got the spray cans out and got stuck into painting the signal box and shed:

Signalbox 17.jpg
Signalbox 17.jpg (193.5 KiB) Viewed 7146 times

Lots of work still to do, but I like getting to this stage, when the spray painting's done and the rest can be tackled in stages, with a brush.

The 'box roof's not on properly yet - I had to do a bit of a redesign, and it's quite a tight fit, so although it's still removable I don't want to put it on or take it off too often.

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:17 pm

Lovely work as always Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:37 pm

Thanks Tom!

The 'box will be in the same colour scheme as your station building, which I'm planning to carry on using until you need it because I haven't built my own one yet! Don't worry, it won't stay out in the elements like the other buildings! They should make a nice pair for now at Trefechan, the lower terminus. The shed will head up the line somewhere, not sure of the exact spot yet...

Cheers,

Andrew

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:42 pm

My brain does work away sometimes on how I can make 16mm scale a reality at home again so there may be a place for the station building one day...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:14 pm

All is looking good, Andrew. The subtle differences in shade of stonework work well on the tunnel mouth.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks Rik!

The signal box base will have the same finish as the tunnel mouth, which was one reason that I was keen to progress both projects at the same time. The other is that between the two "building" projects and some landscaping, this area of the railway should be significantly improved - it's been an eyesore since the planters that were here before fell apart... The two slate tiles temporarily propped against the upper track will form the backdrop, with planting in front of them and over the tunnel mouth.

Cheers,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:59 am

C’mon, c’mon! I want to see the green bits...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:53 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:59 am C’mon, c’mon! I want to see the green bits...
Yeah, me too! I'm being strict with myself though, I've got to do the stone and slate bits first, because those are likely to be messy. I'm hoping to make some progress after "work" today...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:25 am

Andrew wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:53 pm
BertieB wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:59 am C’mon, c’mon! I want to see the green bits...
Yeah, me too! I'm being strict with myself though, I've got to do the stone and slate bits first, because those are likely to be messy. I'm hoping to make some progress after "work" today...
I'm getting there... the stone and slate are all done, just the window frames to go (in a slightly "offer" shade of white), then it'll be the green bits.

The interior's coming on too- the lever frame and stove are painted, and I've nearly completed some other bits of furniture. Still need to make the instrument shelf (to go above the levers) and a clock...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:20 pm

Afternoon all - it's a lovely day here in the UK...

The signal box is getting there, with the second of two coats of green paint having gone on this morning - it looks like it will take four though...

In the meantime, here's a preview in the form of the little shed. I finished painting, weathering and varnishing it this morning, and could think of only one sensible way of delivering it - by train, of course...

Here's the cheerful little ensemble awaiting the off at Trefechan, confusingly consisting of two vehicles both numbered "4":

Shed A.jpg
Shed A.jpg (212.87 KiB) Viewed 6975 times

In an attempt at culling my stock and making some money, the well wagon actually ended up on the second-hand stall at Exeter. It's lucky that it didn't sell, because the hut wouldn't have made it through the tunnel on an ordinary flat wagon:

Shed B.jpg
Shed B.jpg (264.61 KiB) Viewed 6975 times

Climbing the bank:

Shed C.jpg
Shed C.jpg (193.84 KiB) Viewed 6975 times

And arriving at Penlan, where the station building has come out of winter storage:

Shed D.jpg
Shed D.jpg (269.54 KiB) Viewed 6975 times

In position at the end of the platform, where a little work with some Postcrete is required to bed it in properly:

Shed E.jpg
Shed E.jpg (207.27 KiB) Viewed 6975 times

And a ground level shot of the whole site (inspired by Rob R's recent pics), with shunting in progress to reform the train for the return journey...

Shed F.jpg
Shed F.jpg (226.69 KiB) Viewed 6975 times

Pictures of the signal box soon!

Enjoy the sunshine,

Andrew.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:04 pm

That wood store is beautifully modelled Andrew, could almost believe it's real!! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, sone very nice shots and nice modelling.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:18 pm

The well wagon looks great. It is nice when a railway has a function to perform.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:34 am

Ah! that lovely station building again with the inside framing in the waiting room, and I do like your delivery method for the shed. The last shot at ground level does it for me.
Glad you were able to enjoy the sunshine.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:10 am

Great photos Andrew. Like the photo of the tunnel, it was a good job the well wagon didn't sell, it would have been one heck of a job carrying it over the tunnel.. :D

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Hello!

An afternoon in the garden saw some work done to bed the tunnel into its surroundings and prepare the site for the signalbox.

Three slate tiles were cemented in to create a sort of rock face/retaining wall in front of the line on the upper level, a base created for the 'box, and the beginnings of some planting added with a few alpines. Some slate chippings were sprinkled about to finish things off for now - I tend to use those early on to tidy the lineside up until nature takes over.

There's still more to do, but here's how it looks for now:

Tunnel site.jpg
Tunnel site.jpg (237.45 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

The yellow gauging van came into its own again to help position the tunnel, which is quite a tight fit in places.

Might run a train tomorrow, I think...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Give the Russell a run if you can, be good to see it running again.

A very rustic scene you have created Andrew...