(WH)WHR Buildings

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Andrew

(WH)WHR Buildings

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:16 am

Morning all!

The (Windmill Hill) Welsh Highland currently has very few buildings - a station building recycled from my old line at Trefechan, a resin corrugated hut at Clarach, and a grounded coach body at Penlan. I thought it was about time that changed, so have started knocking together a station building for Penlan based on the one at Nantmor on the old Welsh Highland and recreated in mirror-image at Pen-y-Mount on the present day Welsh Highland Heritage Railway.

Here's where it's at currently, with a Star Wars baddie taking a break from taking over the universe to lend a hand. He's also been useful in working out rough measurements - he's 6'3" in 16mm, pretty tall for the 1930s, so if he doesn't bang his head my other passengers should be fine...

Station building 1.jpg
Station building 1.jpg (242.93 KiB) Viewed 11490 times

The walls and the floor (which will represent a concrete base) have been cut from 5mm exterior foamboard, and I'll stick corrugated plastic over the top. Windows will be from a dollshouse range (the same type sold by Jackson's Miniatures) - in the absence of drawings I've used photographs to make my own plans which will suit the windows. It's a slightly backward way of doing things I suppose, but quite liberating to take a "looks about right" approach...

Cheers,

Andrew

philipy

Re: (WH)WHR Buildings

Post by philipy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:56 am

Looking good so far Andrew. Interesting technique with the dovetail joints at the corners. I've not seen that done before, I just butt them up and put reinforcing fillets inside.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:14 am

You might have noticed, I love to see a variety of buildings on garden railways and enjoy reading about construction materials. This will look good and cope with the weather conditions I'm sure. The Jackson's windows are used in most of my structures too and are fine. Also available are a selection of plastic windows and glazing which are sold at the Llanfair exhibition by a young German couple. These are excellent and give a wider choice of options. They are available on-line but my German is not up to the standard I feel confident enough to order.
If you know anyone with a 3D printer, windows can easily be made to measure, such as the ones used in my Accountant's building .......
IMG_5225.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG (103.78 KiB) Viewed 11481 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:41 am

philipy wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:56 am Looking good so far Andrew. Interesting technique with the dovetail joints at the corners. I've not seen that done before, I just butt them up and put reinforcing fillets inside.
I think "dovetail joints" may be a little grand for this hacked-together construction! Slot and tab? Anyway, because I'm making up aspects of the build as I go along, I felt I needed the ability to take it apart and reassemble until a fairly late stage so I can cut window openings etc as I go... The whole project was inspired your lovely buildings - I think I'm using the same board supplier and glue that you use, based on a Forum recommendation you gave a few years ago, so thank you!

I'll try to get some more done today...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:44 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:14 am You might have noticed, I love to see a variety of buildings on garden railways and enjoy reading about construction materials. This will look good and cope with the weather conditions I'm sure. The Jackson's windows are used in most of my structures too and are fine. Also available are a selection of plastic windows and glazing which are sold at the Llanfair exhibition by a young German couple. These are excellent and give a wider choice of options. They are available on-line but my German is not up to the standard I feel confident enough to order.
If you know anyone with a 3D printer, windows can easily be made to measure, such as the ones used in my Accountant's building ....... IMG_5225.JPG.....
Another source of 16mm real estate inspiration!

Do you have a web address for the German folk? I've had success using Google translate to but stuff on eBay before, I might give it a try if they had something I needed...

I've just discovered that we have a "hack space" at work, the University of Bristol, and that I might be able to use it during summer vacations. That means next June now, but if it comes off 3D printing might be an option...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:48 am

Homepage..... www.modellbau-heyn.de
Shop...... www.modell-werkstatt.de

Hope you can make use of them.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:02 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:48 am Homepage..... www.modellbau-heyn.de
Shop...... www.modell-werkstatt.de

Hope you can make use of them.
Thank you!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:42 pm

I shall be following your build. I would like to have a go at building an engine shed using foam board. I will be at Llanfair show on Sunday and will purchase some suitable windows and doors from modellbau heyn.
Ian

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Looks like most of that German site modelbau heyn is in English if you hit the language button top rhs

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Looks good so far, I like the action figure doing the YMCA...

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 pm Looks good so far, I like the action figure doing the YMCA...
:lol:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:07 am

Soar Valley Light wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 pm
tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 pm Looks good so far, I like the action figure doing the YMCA...
:lol:
Grand Moff Tarkin, Governor of the Imperial Outland Regions, and Commander of the Death Star (I looked him up...) has asked me to point out that he wasn't "doing the YMCA" but helping support the front of Penlan's station of the building, out of the goodness of his heart. If he wasn't such a nice guy, he added, he'd be training his deadly lasers in the direction of certain garden railways...

I'm not so sure myself - when I went out to photograph progress yesterday he seemed to be throwing some shapes in the new waiting area/dance floor:
Station building 2.jpg
Station building 2.jpg (213.44 KiB) Viewed 11356 times

Frankly, he's outgrown his usefulness, and he's going to start getting in the way if he keeps bustin' moves all over the place, but how do you tell that to a grumpy old man who has the power to destroy entire planets? Through the medium of dance, perhaps?

Anyway... The photo was intended to show that there's been a little more progress on the station building, with the end cut out and a start made on the (plastic) woodwork. You can see the sort of thing I'm trying to achieve here:

Looking at that I think I may have the pitch of the roof a little wrong, although it's hard to tell because the proportions are all slightly different anyway... I think the roof's the next step so I'll pause for a bit of a think (and a new knife blade) before cutting any more foamboard...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:42 am

I like his 'hailing for a taxi' groove, I wish I was that cool...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:34 pm

I'm sure you are Tom...

A little more progress this evening, with the window apertures cut and the window frames temporarily pushed into place:
Station building 3.jpg
Station building 3.jpg (262.6 KiB) Viewed 11316 times
I've lowered the roof a little too since this photo was taken, looks better now I think...

Cheers,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:39 pm

I like the slot together design and as you are going to clad over the slots they won't show unlike on some laser wood cut kits.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:45 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:39 pm I like the slot together design and as you are going to clad over the slots they won't show unlike on some laser wood cut kits.
It's working pretty well for me so far - I took it apart and put it back together again twice yesterday, once to cut the windows and once to modify the roof. I could've avoided all that by doing some really careful planning before I started, but I'm rather enjoying the carefree make-it-up-as-I-go-along approach. The tabs should make the finished thing stronger too, because I wouldn't have been able to brace the corners in the open waiting area.

I woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so got up and started cutting the roof pieces at about 5:30am. Clearly i wasn't as awake as I thought because I cut them half a centimetre too short - not to worry, I'll stick on an extra bit because, as you say, it'll all get covered with corrugated cladding...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:02 am

Hello!

I've made a little more progress on this project, cobbling a roof together and cutting the end wall to represent the wooden framing that is a feature of the real thing:
Station building 5.jpg
Station building 5.jpg (258.63 KiB) Viewed 8218 times

The roof was cut from some foamboard that was going to be thrown away somewhere i used to work. It's too good to waste but not terribly pleasant to work with - dense and difficult to cut, and there's a very sticky residue left behind when I peel off the display that used to be stuck t the front. Theat's why there are all sorts of horrors stuck to the roof - they'll all be covered up eventually...

I've made a start on cutting out the corrugated cladding too. Only one piece done so far but that was much easier than I thought so I'm hoping to make more progress at the weekend.
Station building 6.jpg
Station building 6.jpg (214.87 KiB) Viewed 8218 times
Station building 7.jpg
Station building 7.jpg (205.09 KiB) Viewed 8218 times

I'm quite pleased with how the internal frame's looking - the back of the waiting area will look the same, but the framing there will only be cosmetic, I'm going to leave the rear wall intact for extra strength. There should really be a window in the back walls of the waiting area and office, but there's nothing to see there and no light to be had, so I'm not going to bother...

Cheers all,

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew on Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:47 am

That framing does look good. I didn't read it properly and I was just going to suggest cosmetic framing on the back wall, but fortunately I read it again properly before making an idiot of myself! :oops:
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:57 am

Who makes the corrugated sheets?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:06 pm

The one in the picture is Tenmille, purchased directly from them. It's actually their asbestos sheeting, intended for G1 I think, but it's about right for corrugated iron in 16mm. It's been easy to mark and cut, but it's quite thin (might become brittle after a while) and fairly expensive (c£5 for a 200x250mm sheet). The finished building will also feature some 25-year old Brandbright corrugated sheet, some rescued from previous projects - unfortunately that no longer seems to be available.

Cheers,

Andrew.