(WH)WHR Buildings

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
philipy

Re: (WH)WHR Buildings

Post by philipy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:00 pm

Now that is very nice, Sir!

I've never used Plasicote primer so can't comment on that, but a squirt of Halfords grey plastic primer and whatever you want over the top, sounds fine. I've just used the primer by itself with a clear varnish, on Lower Bench station buildings and fittings and that's been fine so far.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 pm

I use acrylic plastic primer which is quick drying and permanent on plastic surfaces.
This is the range of spray paints I use and would recommend.....
IMG_5321.JPG
IMG_5321.JPG (174.19 KiB) Viewed 6672 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:33 pm

That really is looking splendid Andrew. I'm with you on the aestheics of buildings on the railway, even if there are no trains :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 am

Great looking building, Andrew.

I agree with you that buildings seem to go together more quickly than rolling stock. I think there's more leeway for compromise on a building and fewer fiddly bits. Also, there's nothing mechanical to go wrong.

Regarding primer - I tend to use Halford's grey for practically everything and (so far) not run into any problems. On my last foamboard building (the water tower), I've actually experimented with using no primer - painting the acrylics directly on to the board. Not had a chance to test it out long term, but a couple of resin buildings which I acrylic painted without priming several years ago seem to have survived well - and they have been left outside throughout the year, rain and shine. Maybe it depends on the quality of the acrylics??

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:14 am

ge_rik wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:47 am Maybe it depends on the quality of the acrylics??
I'm pretty sure thats true. I've never had great success with acrylics, but because of that I tend to get cheap and cheerful from The Works, et al, so that I don't waste too much money. I rather suspect that's a self-fulfilling prophecy!
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks for all the paint advice folks, much appreciated. I thought I probably had some plastic primer stored under the house so went potholing to take a look. I've either mis-remembered or stored it away so carefully I'll never see it again, so I decided to make do with my Wilco primer. It says it's suitable for plastics, and it says it's for interior and exterior use, so fingers crossed... Here's how the station building looks at the moment...
Station building 16.jpg
Station building 16.jpg (271.52 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
Station building 17.jpg
Station building 17.jpg (303.92 KiB) Viewed 6475 times

It won't change a great deal because the grey's the main colour for the station building, but I'll pick the window frames out in white, and the doors in green, and I'll paint the woodwork to represent treated timber.

I've also knocked-up a sign to sit above the waiting area - the lettering on the real thing was painted on, but I've used raised plastic lettering which should survive better in the garden:
Station building 18.jpg
Station building 18.jpg (259.98 KiB) Viewed 6475 times

And I may not have found the primer I was looking for under the house, but I did find this trio who once populated Windmill Hill Station on my old WKLR. I might brighten them up a little (I was using some paints which were rather light on pigment at the time) but I reckon the two "civilians" and the dog will look quite at home. I think the railway employee might find himself on the veranda of a guard's van at some point, perhaps the Mamod one when I refurbish it.
Station building 19.jpg
Station building 19.jpg (303.27 KiB) Viewed 6475 times

Cheers,

Andrew.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Well, I think that building looks 'the biz', the spray primer paint has tied everything together and detailing will enhance it even more. Interesting figures too.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:44 pm

I'll echo Peter's "the biz", that exactly describes it I think, and it looks good in that setting as well.
Philip

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Another vote of approval from me too.
Ian

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Glad you like it folks... The location is more or less where it'll end up, just a little further back from the track, with a low gravel-topped platform in front.

The woman's a Star Wars figure who was available cheaply for a while, I think she appears in about three carriages too! The station master started life as a military figure as I recall, and the cheerful seated gent was, I think, a member of the California Highway Patrol, from the 80s TV show CHiPs...

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Great work - one question...........Where did you acquire the dog?
Where did I put that uncoupler?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:07 am

That's a great build, Andrew, I do have a soft spot for good old corrugated iron.
Grant.

Clockwork
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Clockwork » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 am

A very nice build of the corrugated iron shed Andrew. :thumbright:
Kevin :thumbleft:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 am

markoteal wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:12 pm Great work - one question...........Where did you acquire the dog?
Sorry, I don't think I can help there - I found the dog years ago. He's actually an ornament, possibly made in some sort of resin, I guess I must have picked him up in a charity shop. Unlike the figures, which have been hacked about and repainted, all I did to the dog was to snap his rear legs off so he'd fit under the bench. He still seems quite happy though - I like the way he gazes up lovingly at his master...

There's been some further progress on the build since my last post, I've almost finished painting it now - I'll post some photos when it's all done...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am

How have I missed your thread Andrew, maybe when I was in hospital so I wouldn’t have seen what a very impressive build. :thumbright:

You certainly do fantastic work mate and does it matter if it takes some time to do things…who cares, I don’t……

Paul_A_C
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Paul_A_C » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 am How have I missed your thread Andrew, maybe when I was in hospital so I wouldn’t have seen what a very impressive build. :thumbright:

You certainly do fantastic work mate and does it matter if it takes some time to do things…who cares, I don’t……
I agree about the time sentiment. For me, often it’s the journey as well as the destination. A careful, quality build is by definition a slow build. It’s the satisfaction of the build and the end result that counts I believe.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Afternoon all!

The paintwork's done, figures added, I've varnished and glazed it - I think it's done...

Station building 20.jpg
Station building 20.jpg (169.5 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
Station building 21.jpg
Station building 21.jpg (184.62 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
Station building 22.jpg
Station building 22.jpg (242.16 KiB) Viewed 7442 times
Station building 23.jpg
Station building 23.jpg (286.9 KiB) Viewed 7442 times

It's not quite to scale (I don't know of any drawings, so I scaled it up from photos and tweaked it to suit the windows), but I think it captures the essence of the old Welsh Highland architecture - Nantmor-or-less?!! It'll be stored until spring now, but I've already got more foam board etc on order for future projects. The buildings bug has bitten...

Thanks for the encouragement and advice along the way,

Andrew.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Andrew that looks brilliant, sort of thing that would look good on my line with all the junk and shingle ballast.

Well done, a glass or two celebrate methinks!

Clockwork
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Clockwork » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Very nice modelling Andrew a pleasure to have on any layout. :thumbleft:
Kevin :thumbleft:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:10 pm

Top job Andrew, that will certainly add to the visuals on your railway.