New material (to me at least)

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

New material (to me at least)

Post by Busted Bricks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:22 pm

I recently received some sample of a material called Polybak. It is used as a backing material for countertops and similar. It's a polyester resin impregnated kraft paper and comes in a number of thicknesses. It laser cuts beautifully and is easy to glue and paint. I've never been able to get good results with HIPS in the laser. It is quite sturdy and can be thermoset. It's a lot cheaper than thin aeroplane birch plywood. I've decided an go out on a limb and stock it for sale to modellers. I had to buy 800kg off the stuff to meet MOQ.
tiny house.jpg
tiny house.jpg (711.27 KiB) Viewed 4972 times

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Re: New material (to me at least)

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:02 pm

good looking model

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 pm

The Polybak battery looks great :thumbup:

Do you have any 16mm scale models made of the material yet to show us?

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:52 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:04 pm Do you have any 16mm scale models made of the material yet to show us?
Nope, only have a few sample sheets at the moment. I wouldnt't want to build houses in 16mm scale with it, it's more for small parts where intricated detail is required. It cuts cleaner than any other material in this thickness that I have tried. I just cut some grills for a 7/8ths Diema DL6 loco in it. Even in 7/8ths the Diema is small.
Attachments
diema 2.jpg
diema 2.jpg (747.04 KiB) Viewed 4922 times

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:55 pm

My Polybak order arrived today - all 600kg of it - and I've been busy cutting it into smaller sheets. Hopefully my back will be less sore tomorrow and I can get started on a redesign of the 7/8ths skip kit so it looks like it has a girder frame.

30x20cm sheets are available from the shop now. Larger sizes are available upon request - I'm working on finding suitable packaging for larger sheets. Trade enquiries are welcome. It's better than thin plywood in my opinion and half the price of plywood. Laser cuts really wel but can also be cut with knife/scissors.

http://www.bustedbricks.com/laser-materials-27-c.asp
polybak.jpg
polybak.jpg (153.17 KiB) Viewed 4742 times