Two stations for the price of one (well nearly!)

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Two stations for the price of one (well nearly!)

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 am

I’ve been looking to build a station building for my main terminus (Junction) for some time.

At Peterborough this year, I visited the Modeltown stall and decided a wriggly tin station would work on my Kent based light railway - very Col Stephens and all that.

Because I operate what is basically a shelf railway right around the garden, low relief for buildings is the usual option and this was the case for the station – so as I purchased the kit, I had a chat to Keith about the best way to split the gable ends in half. Keith gave some great advice (support it as you cut, use a small tooth blade etc) and I brought home the kit and it’s waited a while till I could clear enough room on the workshop table to erect the building.

Modeltown kits are great for someone like me who isn’t the greatest detailed modeller but can put together kits etc. if the instructions are clear (and I have a picture of the end point to aim for!).

After a few days slowly erecting the kit, then painting and weathering it, I was proud to be able to include onto the line between the bespoke rustic shelter I had already built in situ and the earlier built Modeltown low relief pub.
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG (566.67 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
IMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1524.JPG (688.2 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG (931.26 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1596.JPG (298.87 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
IMG_1597.JPG
IMG_1597.JPG (879.3 KiB) Viewed 3572 times

Of course that left me the original back to the building roof and my half gable ends – I then pulled those together, painted and stood back – I thought I could adapt them into another station building for my other terminus (BBQ End) if I could get a few of the bits that I had already used up on the first building (Chimney Stack, Canopy & Bench) - I contacted Keith and he kindly sourced me the various pieces for a reasonable sum along with some more signage for the building and I was able to complete the second building in situ.
IMG_1648.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG (1015.26 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG (332.21 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
I eventually decided that the existing Trenarron produced bench looked more suited here and I used the station bench as seating at the next halt along the line (BIRDS NEST)
birsd2.png
birsd2.png (286.96 KiB) Viewed 3572 times
All in all as a tight yorkshire man, I’m pleased to have been able to develop two stations for a little over the price of one – I also enjoyed weathering these in a bit – now need to sort out a water tower for BBQ end as well as at depot – should keep me busy!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Two stations for the price of one (well nearly!)

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:32 am

Very nice. As you said, very Col. Stephens-ish. Great way to get a BOGOF.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:48 am

They both sit well on the railway Mark. Nice paint and subtle weathering job too. :thumbup:
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:10 pm

Does look very good, Mark.
I'm a big believer in low relief buildings where space is an issue.
Philip

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Very neat job, next step scratch builds? It just making your own kit parts ...

Have to agree with Philip that low relief can be very effective.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Thanks for all the great feedback - much appreciated

Yes, I'm planning to have a go at a water tower myself - fairly simple - use the pvc foam board and see how I go - its on the list for the autumn when the nights start drawing in!
Where did I put that uncoupler?