Floral matters

A place for discussing garden railway scenery, such as buildings, trees, etc....
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Floral matters

Post by markoteal » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:16 am

Following my trip to the Chelsea Flower show, I've ben looking at how I can get more flower interaction into my line - being 3ft off the ground is a challenge - so I have been looking at 2 strategies based around levels

1) Ground up - I'm working on getting more tall plants at the back of my beds that will grow up and flower at around the height of the line - Foxgloves and Clematis are the favourite candidates at the mo but others are being planted - below we see Kenny slipping through Foxgloves and a white plant in the background - I've forgotten which this is - also at this time of the year you can see the vine a grow along this fence in full effect - always needs trim back before running sessions but greens things up nicely
IMG_1493.JPG
IMG_1493.JPG (670.16 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
2) Rail height planting - I've started to create pockets alongside the track to hold pots that are planted with small foliage plants - times are good for this and this one below even flowers daily scale flowers - I also have some pots of MYOB growing ready for some of the holes.
IMG_1494.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG (784.4 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
I'll post some clematis pics soon as most of these are now starting to flower - the one above was a flowering thyme I bought at Peterborough - the only challenge is keeping the little pots watered sufficiently - one forgotten session and they dry out

Cheers - Mark the Gardener!
Last edited by markoteal on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Floral matters

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:38 am

Very nice colour enhancements to your line and, being located in the South East, you benefit from warmer and drier weather than here in West Wales. I have tried Foxgloves as tall back-scene plants but they quickly spread and began to take over every available spot, so have now been removed.... shame as they are do look pretty!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Floral matters

Post by markoteal » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:16 am

Yes Peter, I agree that they can be invasive - but I do encourage the seeds to take by cutting the seeded flower stalk off at the end of flowering and leaving them to ripen along the back of beds- I then let them start to grow the season afterwards then lift from where they are, pop into their own pots to grow on and then plant out when gaps appear - I've introduced a few different cultivated ones and hoping we get some cross pollination.

Its odd that I can grow foxgloves for fun but can't get Lupins to do anything - I call them slug food!
Where did I put that uncoupler?